Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Highlight Item for late February Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes the icepick grip is definitely better. The grip I used in the pic was simply the best pic I could get to load. I had a pic ready in the icepick grip, but I got too tired last night to resize it so it would fit here.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: A&A Dagger         Reply with quote

Yes, I think this type of dagger almost requires an icepick grip to be most effective, not to mention more comfortable to use. Wink The iconography of the time seems to show this type being used with the icepick grip.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright so I pulled the trigger and got that round targe. I was going to pick up the new dagger but then I started looking at the available list... and looked at the prices. Then I decided I REALLY needed the Hungarian ax more than I needed another dagger. Happy Just think in another week or two we may have the MARCH highlight item... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, mine just came in and I can confirm Mike's impressions about it being real nice.

One thing that the A & A pics seemed to show was a midridge in the handle that visually continues the midridge of the diamond shaped blade: This is hard to see in the pics but is very much there giving the handle a very n ice look and feel.

The only thing I should mention, although it doesn't bother me, is that the guard is slightly asymmetrical if looked at from the front looking down the blade. I think that this is fine in a period contexts as the guard looks very much hand forged.

This may vary from dagger to dagger to a degree ?

The edges are sharp and just a little burnishing was needed to get it to paper cutting sharp.

The wood of the handle has a nice grain to it and a little linseed oil followed by renaissance wax bring that out nicely.

The pommel does work for me in the handshake grip and doesn't get in the way.

The simple leather sheath fits the blade very well.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Larry Davis

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Targe Wok         Reply with quote

That 'targe' looks very much like a typical flat bottomed Wok found in any Chinese food shops in China town.
I actually cooked in one identical to it this evening. If I can get the digital camera working I will take a shot of it.
They are not bad steel either.
Thought it was Ming but when I tapped it with a spoon it went Tang so it must be earlier in date.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My targe came in last week. I don't know enough about buckler construction to be able to comment on all the salient features, although I can say that I'm pretty confident this one is spun construction. (Yeah I'll be polishing those marks out Happy ) However, I've got to say that it's a neat little piece, seems very solidly constructed and makes me think I want to pick up their English Buckler as well... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking over the dagger in the A & A pics and using CSI type thinking, I'm about 99% sure that the one Craig sent me is the Aunlaz shown: The wood grain pattern seem identical to me. Same dark and light areas in at least 3 to 4 places.

So, Craig, am I right ? I sort of like the idea if It's true. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, a little more light sharpening and it's now hair popping sharp. Cool Swords don't need to be this sharp but a knife can benefit from good sharpness as it doesn't have the mass of a sword and has to be a good slicer as it can't do much with a chop.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Highlight Item for late February
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: