ornamented ' Chain ' Mail
Hi, I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I saw a picture of a mail shirt covered in 'Orders' or medallions of some sort, I am sure it was east european, can anyone help?
I don't mean Turkish etc, it had stars and grotesques on it I seem to remember.
I think your thinking of the shist shown in "Arms and Armour" by an Eastern European fella who's name escapes me. The book has lots Eastern European sabers and maces and armour including a maille shirt made in the 17th century for a fella of nobil status, that had lots of little silver stars and the like including a series layed out around the neckline to look like a chain with a medaillion on it. Jean Thibodeau bought my copy and has the specifics. I think its the shirt you thinking of and I beleive its maybe Transylvanian.
Allan Senefelder wrote:
I think your thinking of the shist shown in "Arms and Armour" by an Eastern European fella who's name escapes me. The book has lots Eastern European sabers and maces and armour including a maille shirt made in the 17th century for a fella of nobil status, that had lots of little silver stars and the like including a series layed out around the neckline to look like a chain with a medaillion on it. Jean Thibodeau bought my copy and has the specifics. I think its the shirt you thinking of and I beleive its maybe Transylvanian.

Arms & Armour, Ferenc Temesvary: Plate XVI, the caption says, Mailed shirt of Gyorgy Rakoczi ( A whole bunch of accents I don't have on my keyboard ) , Prince of Transylvania, 17th century.

The text associated to this plate: " Of silver, and bronze: gilded. Made by Transsylvanian craftsmen. The riveted links are executed in silver wire. The mail is thickly and finely " woven " . The collar fastenings are gilded. The breast is richly decorated with precious stones set in gilt rosettes, placed in the form of a necklace, with star motifs, and with mounts depicting the sun and the moon."
Transylvania, 17th century
Height: 75 cm. Inv. No. 55-3539 Hungarian National Museum
Thank you both very much, I can't seem to find anywhere on the web with a picture, but this does sound like the one I was thinking of.
Best regards Lawrence
Well this is it I seem to remember it with larger ornaments, but just my imagination playing tricks, has anyone seen any other mail like this?
http://www.hnm.hu/utils/GalleryPicture.php?It...amp;Lang=2
This one's turkish, but it fits your description.

[ Linked Image ]

Another piece of transsilvanian mail decorated in the turkish style was posted around here too, I believe.
I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.
Werner Stiegler wrote:
This one's turkish, but it fits your description.

[ Linked Image ]

Another piece of transsilvanian mail decorated in the turkish style was posted around here too, I believe.

Damn that is a fine weave! Look at the size of those links!
Lawrence Parramore wrote:
Well this is it I seem to remember it with larger ornaments, but just my imagination playing tricks, has anyone seen any other mail like this?
http://www.hnm.hu/utils/GalleryPicture.php?It...amp;Lang=2

Yes that looks like the one in the book or close enough to be identical. ( Just double checked and it's the same one ).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: