Spanish spear
I am just sharing this picture of a spanish weapon that is more of an upsize spear than anything else. The distance between tip and shoulders is 115cm, 5cm wide at the shoulders and the socket adds 20cm more.
Up to this point I could not find any other example of anything resembling it in the literature so any additional information is welcome.
[ Linked Image ]

Keep well
Nostro
so the SLO at the tip is longer than the tip of an ahlspiess? Damn, thats quite long, I sure hope the socket is made very solid to help even out forces that are not in thrust direction.
If it's authentic, it's most likely north Italian, ca. 1500. These are not uncommon, but all of those I've seen are very fine arms, like those in Tower of London, Royal Armouries, Leeds, Frazier International History Museum and in the photo below, from Europäische Heib-Und Stichwaffen.

The example you show is relatively crude, and I wonder about its authenticity. But there are plenty of authentic but crude arms out there--museums display the fine stuff. The halberd beside it (right)--if authentic--is of the same period and region (north Italian or south German,) so that could be an argument for the authenticity of both pieces.

Which museum is this? Knowing that might help us judge authenticity.

Attachment: 53.06 KB
spear.jpg

Attachment: 90.26 KB
spearcap1.jpg

Attachment: 140.57 KB
spearcap2.jpg

There is also the example of the so-called "Jeddart staff" of the Scottish border area with a 1.25 meter blade.
Re: Spanish spear
Nostro Titus wrote:
I am just sharing this picture of a spanish weapon that is more of an upsize spear than anything else. The distance between tip and shoulders is 115cm, 5cm wide at the shoulders and the socket adds 20cm more.
Up to this point I could not find any other example of anything resembling it in the literature so any additional information is welcome
Nostro

Hi Nostro.....Just wondering if you know which Museum the photo is from ? (And thanks for posting it !)

Cheers
The pictures are from the Cultural History Museum in Cape Town, South Africa.

Nostro

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: