Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

I don't know if this has ever made it to DVD or not, but I enjoyed it. Wish I could find it now

Alred The Great - David Hemmings - 1969
Ralph Grinly wrote:
I don't know if this has ever made it to DVD or not, but I enjoyed it. Wish I could find it now

Alred The Great - David Hemmings - 1969

The move also stars a very young Michael York as Guthrum and also features Ian McKellen. It’s out of print as far as I know and I haven’t seen around in at least 25 years. It’s a shame because it’s a decent film. I understand a lot of money was spent on production values in an attempt at keeping the historical accuracy and feel of 9th century England. I remember seeing this film back in the early 70s when I was a kid and I remember it being rather gritty and unlike most so-called historical medieval epics that came before it. It defiantly lacks the Hollywood pageantry and big budget wow factor that was so prevalent in previous medieval epics and instead focuses on plot and character development.
*prepares to be bludgeoned*

I liked Kingdom of Heaven: The Director's Cut, its a wholly different film from the theatrical release. Many people do not like this movie for this or that reason, but many of these have not seen the Director's Cut either. It's much more detailed and at least tries to hit the mark more accurately than crusader films which came before. Also, it's alot better than Scott's Robin Hood. If you have not seen this version, give it a go.

Arn the Templar and Arn: The Kingdom at Road's End are good, if you can find them in their entirety. The butchered US version is terrible when compared to the full length epic. Lot's of Albion eye-candy for you there.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Just good campy fun here, it's not to be missed.

The Seventh Seal has been mentioned already, but its really worth mentioning again. It's a great film.

It's a bit before your period of interest and not fantasy, but HBO: Rome is a great mini-series worth seeing; nothing else out there even comes close to touching the production quality of this story. It's interjected with a good bit of historical accuracy; moreso than many other television series over the years have had.
... Alatriste, 1612, Taras Bulba ( the Russian version NOT the Yul Bryner / Tony Curtis version ),
Fall Of The Roman Empre, Alexander Revisitted ( The Final Cut ), Centurion ...
Pope Joanna -historical, what little fighting there is looks good, great garb, good allround acting. The subject may be a bit dry for some, this is not an action movie but a historical drama with some bloodshed and most of that at the very end. I'll especially mention the book binding scene, as far as I know it's never been shown in movies the right way until this movie. It shows the actual craft of binding.

Faintheart - This is a comedy movie about modern day viking re-eactors in Britain. Pretty accurate at times, some laughs and a lot of heart.

By the way, it's great to se appreciation for the Seventh Seal and Arn. We Swedes do make some good movies at times. ;)
I really like that King Arthur movie that came out in like 2003 or 2004 with Keira Knightley. (Not because of her, but I'm bad with actor's names and her name is the only one I remember.)
Eric Gregersen wrote:
I really like that King Arthur movie that came out in like 2003 or 2004 with Keira Knightley. (Not because of her, but I'm bad with actor's names and her name is the only one I remember.)

I think you are speaking of this

Also I would like to propose Wolfhound
JE Sarge wrote:
*prepares to be bludgeoned*

I liked ... Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Just good campy fun here, it's not to be missed...

No bludgeoning from me. :) This is my favorite movie, ever.
As for me, I'm looking forward to Your Highness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nB2pWEW9yw

I'm guessing it's one of the few 'knightly quest' movies that I won't have to worry about not keeping a straight face in.

And Natalie Portman wearing a golden thong increased my knowledge of medieval undergarment history ...
Mark T wrote:
As for me, I'm looking forward to Your Highness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nB2pWEW9yw

I'm guessing it's one of the few 'knightly quest' movies that I won't have to worry about not keeping a straight face in.

And Natalie Portman wearing a golden thong increased my knowledge of medieval undergarment history ...

Unfortunately the only good things in the movie are seen in the trailer and most of the humour is of the " peepee kaka " very vulgar variety ...... but the worst thing about it is that they try too hard to be funny but don't succeed ! Think of it as very bad Mel Brooks without the cleverness.

By the way anyone offended by bad language should avoid it completely and certainly not recommended for kids !

I will also note that I am not easily offended by bad language in itself but am offended when bad language substitutes for any intelligent dialogue, plot or anything I actually find funny !

So, if you really want to watch a train wreck of a movie this is the one to get !

I don't blame the actors here, only a very bad script that tried to make jokes based on Fantasy film clichés but missed the mark by a mile !
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: