Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hi James,

Being big and strong does count for something, just not as much as folks often assume.

The discussion here seems related to the whole knight/samurai debate so popular on the internet. One bit of 'conventional wisdom' on one side of that debate is that big Europeans would simply walk all over a bunch of tiny Japanese.

Yet France's Marshal Boucicaut was a little guy, yet he was a very capable warrior and tournier. Conversely, one major reason we had an Asian martial craze here in the US is because much smaller Japanese Judoka could throw around big American servicemen in occupied post-WWII Japan. The reaction of these members of our culture, where firearms had largely made unarmed combat a curio, was "huh, that stuff must really work."

Size is an asset, but training is something of an equalizer. But regarding modern, chemically-assisted bodybuilding and its lack of an analogue in the Middle Ages, we're in agreement. Much of modern bodybuilding is for show, not prowess.

Best,

Christian
Re: How tall was the average Samuri?
The ARMA site has a very good article on this subject: The Role of Fitness in Historical Fencing

http://www.thearma.org/essays/fit/RennFit.htm

Ran Plesasnt
ARMA DFW
Sammy, about the original thread's question:

There were three samurai figures on my National Arms Museum, fully suited with beautiful ceremonial armours that came as generous gifts from Japan, among other objects, all dating from between 1600 and 1800.
The first time I saw them, I was surprised to see their size. I remember I made a guess that the standing warrior figure was about 1,60 meters tall.

Being curious about the subject such as yourself, I searched the web for the same answer... and the results were just as Shayan G said on his post: The average height seemed to have been even under 1,60 meters for men! (5'2'').
Presumably (And this is only my supposition) the warrior classes may have had some extra centimeters more than the average folk, but I have no knowledge of this at all.

And as for the other discussion on this thread... if I had to choose between being taller than my enemy... and having more skill than my enemy... I'd obviously choose the second.

But if I could... I'd rather have both! :)
Shayan G wrote:

Here's another example if the preceding 5 or 6 were dissatisfactory. We do 120 pushups (12 different kinds, ten reps, no stopping and reeeeeal slow) innumerable crunches, dozens of squats, and some exercises I don't even know the word for. It lasts an hour and a half. THEN class begins. I have noticed again and again, bulky ridiculous creatine monsters almost never make it through any of those exercises, while wiry and physically balanced individuals do.

This training is obviously impressive but training is always specific: If you train for a very high level of endurance like this you will outlast the strongest person who trains for strength, but the guy who trains for strength will outperform you as far as weight moved for one or a few reps.

Lack of flexibility is very possible if one trains for size of muscles and even more if range of motion is limited all the time.

A lot of the " big " muscles of body building are made by medium to high reps ( 12 to 15 or 20 reps ) with a lot of muscle pumping.( Not to mention steroids ) For maximum strength training one will use very low reps 3 to 6 and even single maximum effort, this type of training gives very strong muscles but will not maximize volume of muscles.

A balanced amount of weight and endurance training shouldn't negatively impact swordsmanship when they are both trained for. Strength doesn't automatically make you slow unless bulk becomes extreme.

One can also train weight using explosive strength where the weights are moderate but are moved in a way to accelerate the weight as much as possible to develop power and speed.

Anyway, the whole thing is much more subtle than the old strength automatically makes you slow myths (In my opinion. :D :cool: ) ( Same as the sex before competition takes away your edge ! Old sport coaches belief ! Well, except that sex often goes with excessive " partying " or drinking that are bad for performance ! )
There are bad ways to combine weight training and good ways that I think will vary depending on what sport skills we are trying to optimize
I'm 6'2" and 260(ish) lb (we use the metric system here, guys...). I'm quite strong, I flipped a Toyota Echo that hit my cat once, but what I'm really proud of is my quickness.

I juiced when I was in the army, and it was only when I stopped that I hit the highest fitness rating. I couldn't do it chugging around with all the extra pretty muscle. It drained me so much quicker. The girls didn't even like the bigger muscles (and that was really why I was doing it...). And as I was representing my Battalion in the Boxing ring, coach told me I had to slim down to get better hand speed. Before I juiced I could whip out maybe 5 punches in a second (rolling straight crosses). After 6 months of the testosterone jabs, that went down to two. It took me a whole year to get it back up to 5 with any semblance of power. I tried to get quicker than that, but found the power just wasn't there as much.

So now I NEVER do heavy weights, only high reps of lighter ones. And the secret weapons are Diet, Yoga, Acrobatics and as many reps of correct technique as I can before puffing out. And that's all before I pick up "ol' woody" for forms...

I've found that sex before a match drains your aggressiveness.
How tall was the average Samurai?
Elling, which one is you in the photo? The tall one or the little one?
Quote:
Size is an advantage.

Yet Fedor beat Choi Hong-man and Keith Hackney beat Emmanuel Yarborough. Size isn't everything.

When it comes to period masters, they said difference things about the importance of strength and height. Silver considered height critical, as it provides more reach. Swetnam, on the other hand, didn't consider size and strength too significant for combat with sharp weapons. (Given his love for reach, this seems odd.) Going past the masters, you can find various accounts of smaller and weaker people defeating the larger and stronger.

Anyways, while the medieval Japanese might have somewhat smaller than medieval Europeans, I suspect they valued strength just as much. That's what I got from reading the Tale of the Heike. Legendary warriors with the strength of many men and so on.
Sirs-Modern studies show that the average Samurai was tall enough to reach the ground :lol:
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: