Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Piece from OlliN & Update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 09 May, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: New Piece from OlliN & Update         Reply with quote

Hello all!

We have a new piece we just added to our Contemporary Collection called the King Jack I. I always seem to gush over the new pieces, and this one is no exception.

King Jack I
Weights & Measurements
Weight: 2lb 4oz
Over All Length: 39 3/4"
Blade Length: 32"
Center of percussion: 21 1/2"
Thickness of Blade: 1/4"

Materials
Blade: 1075 Steel
Grip: Leather wrap
Guard: Cast bronze fittings
Pommel: Cast bronze fittings

You can find more information about this piece on the OlliN site here: http://ollinsworddesign.com/osd-contemporary.html#Jack

In other news, we will be a vendor at the Janesville Renaissance Faire which is coming up next week. We'll have many of our production pieces there as well as some samples of various things in process. I'm sure there is ads up for this as well, but I thought I would throw this up as it has all of the info.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Best,

Matt

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 09 May, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Matthew, that is a great looking sword. It looks like it will be one heck of a cutter with a decent edge. How wide is the blade at the guard if you do not mind me asking?

Scott
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 09 May, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooh, beauty! I'd love to get me one of these! Surprised
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 May, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, I like the cast bronze fittings.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 09 May, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very original.

Good luck at the show! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Wow Matthew, that is a great looking sword. It looks like it will be one heck of a cutter with a decent edge. How wide is the blade at the guard if you do not mind me asking?

Scott

The blade is 2" wide at the base.

I'm definitely looking forward to see this sword in action at Shane's gathering in Indiana in a couple of weeks.

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark G. wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

The blade is 2" wide at the base.

I'm definitely looking forward to see this sword in action at Shane's gathering in Indiana in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the answer Mark. The proportions of the sword look perfect. Is the sword based in part on any existing one or is it a stand alone design?

I meant to say tip instead of edge. You have to forgive my typing. I had surgery on my right hand and am typing left handed only. Times like this make me wish I was a lefty Cry . I imagine that this is a good cut and thrust weapon. Not perfect but good in a pinch.

Scott
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very sculptural and I really like the colour of the bronze. The price seems very reasonable also for stuff of custom quality. ( Only not custom because OlliN has added this one to their standard line. )

I would suggest that people really consider buying from OlliN soon because so many people may find out how good their swords are that the demand will eventually push the price up or lengthen their waiting times.

To me OlliN is fully equal to Albion plus one can have something custom made at prices not greatly exceeding the prices of their standard lines of swords or anything else one can think of like polearms maybe. Wink Wink

Have a look at the other pics on their site as it has more angles of the sword to admire and the details on the pommel and guard are easier to see.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 12 May, 2008 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice new piece Matt & Mark!

Are you going to have it at Janesville? Can't wait to see you guys later this week!

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

Thank you for the answer Mark. The proportions of the sword look perfect. Is the sword based in part on any existing one or is it a stand alone design?

I meant to say tip instead of edge. You have to forgive my typing. I had surgery on my right hand and am typing left handed only. Times like this make me wish I was a lefty Cry . I imagine that this is a good cut and thrust weapon. Not perfect but good in a pinch.

Scott

The blade shape was based on a historic reproduction iquiry that i got a long time ago. I can't recall exactly which sword it was anymore though. I had liked the overall shape and proportions of the blade, and I started drawing a hilt for it. The hilt was basically a study of angles and curves. It's one of those designs that created itself, which is always very fun to watch happen. Translating that into three dimesions proved to be kind of tricky, but I'm happy with how things turned out.

I hope you're hand gets better soon. I shudder at the thought of being without the the use of one of mine.

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark G. wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

The blade shape was based on a historic reproduction iquiry that i got a long time ago. I can't recall exactly which sword it was anymore though. I had liked the overall shape and proportions of the blade, and I started drawing a hilt for it. The hilt was basically a study of angles and curves. It's one of those designs that created itself, which is always very fun to watch happen. Translating that into three dimesions proved to be kind of tricky, but I'm happy with how things turned out.

I hope you're hand gets better soon. I shudder at the thought of being without the the use of one of mine.

Mark,
Whichever blade it is based on had to be nice looking. I definitely like what you came up with for the blade. It definitely looks right with the blade. I wish I could make it to Janesville this weekend but my travel is limited at the moment.

Thank you for the well wishes Mark. I only have 4 to 5 months of healing and rehab before it is ok. Might never be 100% but useable. The good thing about it is that I have found my way bach here and reignited my interests in medieval arms and armor. Ican understand your feelings. Especially with you needing both hands for your craft.

I look forward to seeing more designs from you. Especially Jean's blade when it is done.

Scott
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 May, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Last wrote:
Nice new piece Matt & Mark!

Are you going to have it at Janesville? Can't wait to see you guys later this week!

It will most definitely be with us at the Faire, along with some other new stuff to show. I'm looking forward to this weekend. If nothing else, it gets me out of the shop for a while, which doesn't happen all too often. Happy

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 20 May, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for coming out to Janesville guys!

The new piece is very nice in the hand as well as just pretty to look at. The angles on the bronze work are really impressive.

Also really interesting pommel design on that Viking-style blade you had down with you. Felt really cool in the hand! I would be remiss too if I didn't at least say, "Holy Crap" about Tom's piece. For you 16th-17th C sword fans, you might need new shorts when OlliN gets done with this piece.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Piece from OlliN & Update
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic