Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest is a Albion NG Knight.

Attachment: 76.85 KB
AlbionKnight005.jpg

Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps it's time to resurrect this old thread: Love seeing everybody's new toys.

Last sword I received was an Albion Thegn with black grip that I bought in the marketplace. No pics at the moment, but will have some soon.

Kenton
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well i didnt buy it, it was a Christmas gift.

3rdc Deepeeka Spatha
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the latest two purchased for myself.

Albion Svante

Ballock dagger by John Gage

In a few months these should be followed by an axe by Eric McHugh and a sword by Patrick Barta.
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, can't see that dagger enough, just awesome work by Mr. Gage. Very excited to see what you have in the works with Barta...his stuff is phenomenal, you must be quite excited.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword was a "continental" basket-hilt modeled after originals in Poland, Austria, and Prague.

It was created by Patrick Bárta, TEMPL Historic Arms of the Czech Republic. This is what he had to say of it:

Quote:
The blade is by a blade from Prague museum, by German swordcuttler Heinrich Goll (inscriptions ENRIQVE COEL and EN ALAMANIA in the fullers). The hilt is by two very similar hilts from Malbork (Polen, before World War II it was East Prussia) and Vienna (Austria). The pommel and parts of the guard are inlaid by brass.

The basket guard is full forge-welded from 300 years old welded iron. All parts of the sword (in originals) are dated around AD 1600.

Will share more details at a later time.

Attachment: 47.36 KB
Malbork.jpg
Original Malbork basket that inspired the replica above

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
Patrick, can't see that dagger enough, just awesome work by Mr. Gage. Very excited to see what you have in the works with Barta...his stuff is phenomenal, you must be quite excited.

Thanks Kenton, Johns work on the dagger truly impressed me.

I had originally specified a celtic sword in my order with Patrick Barta, then changed it to a viking sword. Recently Patrick has been doing some hands-on research of original mid- La Tene era celtic swords. As my order was coming due Patrick contacted me and asked me to consider changing the order back. He's very excited to do one of these but gets many orders for viking swords and few for the celtic stuff. I always prefer to have a maker work on something they're excited about rather than just a commission, so I agreed. He should be sending me a concept drawing very soon and I'm excited about it.

Nathan,

That's a beautiful basket hilt. Those continental baskets have such a unique character, I really like them.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, that continental basket hilt is outstanding. Patrick Barta's work is immaculate. Your collection is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I broke down and bought another antique. I swear my next sword will be a Darkwood English Basket Hilt, but for now here are some pics of my latest acquisition: a British 1854 Pattern Foot Guards Officer's Sword with 1897 Pattern blade by Henry Wilkinson for an officer of the Scots Guards. I am researching the original owner and will hopefully know more about him soon!

Jonathan

Attachment: 40.99 KB
105360-18.jpg
Photo from dealer's website

Attachment: 16.84 KB
Sword in scabbard [ Download ]

Attachment: 86.12 KB
Hilt close-up [ Download ]

Attachment: 113.83 KB
Sword in hand [ Download ]
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan that continental basket hilt really is astounding. I immediately thought of you when Patrick first posted the hilt photo on his site - I'm glad to learn that is indeed yours! Congratulations!
Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
My last sword was a "continental" basket-hilt modeled after originals in Poland, Austria, and Prague.

It was created by Patrick Bárta, TEMPL Historic Arms of the Czech Republic. This is what he had to say of it:

Will share more details at a later time.

Outstanding sword. Thank you for sharing, really nice.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest finished sword is a Ballintober type sword, the first leafbladed bronze sword in the UK & Ireland, dating to 1300-1100BC. The blade is from Neil Burridge (I took part in casting it though), which I finished and hilted up last week. The sword is 54cm in length, and around 400grams, very quick and light with a mean sharp hollow cutting edge.

The last blade I received, but which is far from finished is a Mindelheim type sword, which is one of the latest leafbladed swords, and the latest to be made in bronze (as well as in iron). The original dates to the Hallstatt period, roughly 600BC. I haven't measured it yet, but it's a pretty big sword, roughly 90cm in length and roughly 1kg in weight. With the hilt, which will also be bronze, it will come to around 1.3-1.4kg. Pictured next to it is a late bronze age carp's tongue sword, which is my first cast bronze sword and the first blade I know to be succesfully cast using bronze age technology.

Attachment: 65.33 KB
mindelheim.jpg

Attachment: 81.47 KB
mindelheim2.jpg

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it's purchased, but it's not here yet, should be here in a couple of weeks I hope, it's the Arms & Armor
Edward III Sword. However, from what I hear most sword shops are behind schedule due to being swamped with orders, which is a very good thing. Besides, waiting a few extra weeks isn't going to hurt me anyway, I am just anxious to get my hands on that majestic beast Exclamation

Bob
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most recent acquisitions came from two very fine and friendly swordsmiths in the Czech Republic.

The first is a Sinclair Hilt with a falchion blade by Vladimir Cervenka (stay tuned to myArmoury for a review of this sword).

The most recent is my dream sword... a creative reconstruction by Patrick Barta of the Fetter Lane pommel and upper grip in the British Museum. It is a beautiful and deadly sword weighing in at just under 3 pounds.

enjoy

ks

Attachment: 97.16 KB
FetterLaneInLeavesAll.jpg

Attachment: 95.95 KB
FetterLaneInLeavesHilt.jpg

Attachment: 97.14 KB
FetterLaneInLeavesHiltObliq.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for those photos Kirk. I've been wanting to see something further on that sword. I can see why it's your dream sword. What a magnificent piece.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk that is an awesome looking sword and a real work of art.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

The last addition to my sword collection (all "cheapies") was one of the last MRL Arbedos available at Kult of Athena. I ordered it there just as Museum Replicas discontinued it.

It's actually a nice hand-and-a-half sword; it could have a bit more "meat" in the point, but it feels pretty good in the hand. I ripped off MRL's grip-wrap, and wrapped it half in twisted wire, half in leather over cord.

Maybe it's not an heirloom, but it looks nice on my wall!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
My most recent acquisitions came from two very fine and friendly swordsmiths in the Czech Republic.

The first is a Sinclair Hilt with a falchion blade by Vladimir Cervenka (stay tuned to myArmoury for a review of this sword).

The most recent is my dream sword... a creative reconstruction by Patrick Barta of the Fetter Lane pommel and upper grip in the British Museum. It is a beautiful and deadly sword weighing in at just under 3 pounds.

enjoy

ks

Wow! It just looks hypnotic in the third picture. Amazingly it looks even better then in the earlier posted photos. How is the handling?
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk.......WOW! That Fetter Lane is absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see what Patrick Barta comes up with for Patrick Kelly.

Bet you're REALLY getting excited now, eh PK?

Love that Continental Hilt of Nathans also. Gee, a lot of super nice swords coming around. Still happy with my latest - the Gallowglass. I see some little something different each time I look at it.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:

Bet you're REALLY getting excited now, eh PK?

You bet! It just reinforces my feeling that my next order with Patrick will be a migration era sword.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:

Wow! It just looks hypnotic in the third picture. Amazingly it looks even better then in the earlier posted photos. How is the handling?

Hey Jeroen...

It is an easy sword to look at, but very difficult to photograph, especially with my cheapo camera. And once you get a good sharp image it has so much detail it is very difficult to compress the size and have it stay in focus. So it may be the blur that is hypnotizing you... however the swirling patterns of the intertwining snakes can be hypnotic. Eek! Eek! Eek!
And the beautiful contrast between the gold and silver doesn't help matters either Big Grin

As far as handling goes... The grip has a wood core with a 2mm thick coating of bronze. The upper guard and pommel, as well as the lower guard, have base of solid bronze. So you can image there is a lot of weight in your hand. And that is true. However the blade is also massive with little distal taper (as most Migration Era swords were).

The feeling in hand is one of balance but of a weighty balance. It is the feeling that you could really do some damage with the wide massive blade, but you could also do some damage with the brass (or gilded bronze in this case) knuckles in your hand.

In other words the handling does not have the same grace and agility as the form. However I would not want it otherwise. If you wanted to get the nice light agile feeling you could hollow out the inner plates of the guards simply by drilling holes through them and the pommel cap could also be hollow. Then the blade could be lightened with more profile and distal taper. That would give it that feeling we all expect. Weight between 2 and 2.5 pounds, CoG at about 5-6 inches out from the cross. But this is a period piece and it should have a period feeling to it. From what I have read Migration Era swords were not very light and agile.

Such a weighty sword may be more welcome in the shield wall anyway. Seems like I read in one of the old Norse sagas about how all the young men were up front in the shield wall hacking away with their light well balanced swords and doing very little damage and so some of the "old timers" pulled them to the back and showed them how it was done with their heavy bladed swords.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 10 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: