Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Sat 12 Oct, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A longsword from Peter Regenyei, somewhat inspired by a painting from ca 1515-20. The fuller ended up rather modern looking, but otherwise I'm very happy with it. 135cm long, 1770g.

Attachment: 183.82 KB
1515_178.jpg
Inspiration

Attachment: 112.65 KB
Img_1398 small.jpg
Hilt closeup

Attachment: 96.88 KB
Img_1396 small.jpg
The sword
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 12 Oct, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice piece, congrats!

Thanks for the info about Peter Regenyei as well, I'm checking his website, and I've got to say that I love the aesthetics of some of his works. Eek!

They look very solid as far as historical accuracy goes, as well, although that is always harder to tell just by looking. Wink
P. Frank

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a nice one Kjell.
I have several trainers from Péter (A rondel, a sabre, two spadroons) and they are all very sturdy, nicely balanced pieces.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Reeve. I have heard the phrase "over sized butcher knife" to describe this sword and I have to agree. Very light and nimble.

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This isn't a new sword, but this is the best place to talk about it.

Some time ago (10 years?) I had Michael "Tinker" Pearce make me a stage combat longsword. Unfortunately, I've never had the change to use it on stage. It's a really good sword but has at least one defect - the grip isn't quite long enough for two hands. I asked for eight inches, but ended up with 6.5. My hands need at least 7 inches. Of course, I could always slip the pommel, but it bugged me that I hadn't got what I asked for.

I recently decided to give Yeshua a try, to replace the pommel and guard. I have a fondness for V2 pommels, a type that you seldom see on modern reproductions. I also like type 11 guards. This combination is probably not to the taste of many sword buyers, but I like it. I wanted to have a hilt made that reminded me of XV.2 and XVa.5 In Oakeshott's, Records.

I just got the sword back from Yeshua, and I've got to say that he did a great job. It looks great. The new pommel and guard, are crisp and well finished. The V2 gives me an extra inch for my hands, so there is now a comfortable fit. Now, all I need to do is get cast in a show where I can use this sword, like Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 1

Note that it used to have one of the old style external pommel nuts. Yeshua made it an internal one that can be adjusted with an Allen wrench. I think that, for a stage combat sword which needs occasional hilt tightening, this technique is better than a peened pommel.

Yeshua was great to work with. He kept me informed of his progress, and his rates are very reasonable. You can see the results by looking at the photos. I recommend him highly.

Attachment: 95.47 KB
Tinkera.jpg
Tinker Original

Attachment: 100.04 KB
Tinkerb.jpg
Tinker Original

Attachment: 98.51 KB
ty7s.jpg
Yeshua Modification

Attachment: 98.1 KB
ty6s.jpg
Yeshua Modification

Attachment: 98.43 KB
ty5s.jpg
Yeshua Modification - V.2 pommel

Attachment: 97.79 KB
ty3s.jpg
Yeshua Modification

Attachment: 96.8 KB
ty1s.jpg
Yeshua Modification
Hartoyo Barlian

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally received my Kingmaker today...

Sarge from CrusaderMonk sent it last month but it got stuck in the custom process for weeks.

I asked Jonathan to make me Brescia Spadona scabbard as well. So now my 'daisho' is completed Big Grin

Here is the pics Jonathan sent me; I haven't had time to take picture by myself yet

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last sword I got was a Hanwei sidesword. I won't bother trying to post a pic. Very rare sword these days. I feel fortunate to have it, and it is on very prominent display in my home. Thank you, Tom Carr.............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 06 Dec, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My acquisitions of the past few years are fairly mundane yawns to most I am sure but I was actually a bit excited to finally adopt this guy. I have several of this genre but the short <20" bladed ivory gripped 1840s from Ames are drying up on the market. This particular example haunted Ebay for a couple of years and the seller somewhat particular in his offers but it finally came down to what I had offered more than a year ago. Most of a scabbard and those even less common to find than the swords.

A side note on 18th and 19th century swords with ivory. One is often getting not just a fairly modern sword but the ivory often quite ancient mastadon. I am fairly sure Ames was getting his cache from Africa, as trade by that part of the 19th century had advanced but it is interesting to note that ivory was literally mined as a source for cutlers and craftsmen of many trades beefore the early 19th century. This is a page from Mowbray's eagle Pommel Swords book.

Happy Holidays

GC

Attachment: 27.77 KB
shrt.JPG

Attachment: 21.99 KB
shrt f.JPG

Vincent C

PostPosted: Fri 06 Dec, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most recent sword is a modified A&A type XX I bought here on myArmoury.

I say it's modified because the blade's longer and the handle a little shorted than the stats on the A&A website. The blade's 37.5 inches, and it's in total 50.25 inches.

I love this sword, it's a very nice mix of feel of a longsword and greatsword, a nice mix of agility and WHAM.

The scabbard is A&A, the belt assembly is Christian Fletcher.

Attachment: 124.03 KB
[ Download ]

Honor, compassion, knowledge.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally got an Albion Vigil.

I'm a big fan of the original River Witham Sword in London. I had a chance to give it a good look over a few years back while staying at a hotel just a couple of blocks down the road from the British Museum. Gave the similar Olliin Hart sword a try a few years back but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. The Vigil is certainly very nice in both appearance and handling - indeed its everything that people say it is. I don't have any pictures of my own yet, so here are a couple of pictures that Kult of Athena took of this sword before sending it my way. There are more on their web-site.

Attachment: 58.5 KB
Vigil 1.jpg

Attachment: 150.55 KB
Vigil 2.jpg

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting that Vigil. I bet it's a wonderful sword. How did you arrange to get that grip design put on the hilt?
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Congratulations on getting that Vigil. I bet it's a wonderful sword. How did you arrange to get that grip design put on the hilt?

Thanks Roger. The Chevalier grip is a manufacturer's option for the Vigil; you can get it for about $150 extra. One can choose the color of both the over-wrap and the base. It looks great and feels good in hand. -JD
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest, Albions Principe. Really lovin' this one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, not exactly my last swords (I really sorry for this almost spam-reply), but my last recently finished blades for my future "last" swords

On the left - the generic Type XII, as illustrated by Peter Johnsson at the appropriate spotlight feature (thank you, Sir!) with clipped and rounded tip. This sword would be used during events, that's why I don't plan to sharpen it.
On the right - some really interesting and beautiful piece, combining features of both Types X and XII - I would call it long-fullered Type XII, from Zornhau web-page

This one will be sharpened.
Both blades are not heat-treated yet.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

old MRL Turkish Kiliji I won off ebay. I sharpened it and reground the blade.

Newbie Sword collector
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It arrived today, in all of its bronze glory
Mycenaean G2b sword
Thanks Neil!

Attachment: 112.42 KB
IMGP1439.jpg

Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Harry. Big Grin Looking forward to seeing how that one turns out.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Eric Lu

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful! Always nice to see another Neil blade Big Grin The G2B in my collection is my most loved piece Big Grin
S White

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have few if any sharps in my collection, all my blades tend to be bated or blunts given that my primary interest in swords is actually fencing rather than collecting. Having said that, I place form and function no higher than my appreciation of aesthetic beauty and I think my most recent purchase fits the bill rather nicely.

This is a Darkwood produced Pappenheimer Rapier purchased last year, I opted for an oak grip, stars and crosses pierced work and acorn pommel. The blade is a bated 39" with POB being about 1" from the shell guard. The blade balances beautifully and has been used regularly in bouting at my fencing school.

Best, Soren.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my new Sempach back in November, and put up a thread about it, but I neglected to put the picture in this thread. I've got to say, as much as I'm tempted by a Regent or Earl, I don't see how I could possibly like a hand and a half sword better than this Sempach.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 58 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: