Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32528

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a blunt longsword that I received from Baltimore Knife and Sword. This one has about 50% distal taper on it, so they started the blade thickness at .250 inch (6.3 mm) It weighs 3lbs 13oz. COG is very close to the guard. Blade is their standard 32 inches.

(FWIW this thread started on 8-28-03. It must be the longest running thread on the site.)

Attachment: 94.09 KB
bksfish12s.jpg

Attachment: 96.81 KB
bksfish9s.jpg

Attachment: 98 KB
bksfish13s.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
(FWIW this thread started on 8-28-03. It must be the longest running thread on the site.)

Jeez. As I type this:

1,282 replies :: 531,617 views :: Aug 28, 2003

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nicolas Gauthier

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My new Albion Talhoffer. Bought it on Kult of athena recently, it was in stock !

My Albion blades : Talhoffer, Crecy and the Arn dagger.

Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine was a Windlass Chioggia sword which I snapped up on clearance at MRL last month. Actually, its one of their better weapons, and a real joy to handle - slightly blade heavy, but no more than other single handed arming swords, and quite stiff - ZERO Windlass whippyness. Seriously, you don't have to spend tons to get a good quality sword IF you do your research and know what you're looking for.

I'm also closing a deal on a custom I-Beam trainer from Valiant Armoury, with a Bristol pommel and Crecy curved crossguard. That should look totally slick/sick for HEMA training!

Bob
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Type X custom sword from A&A with a Brazil nut

Attachment: 165.21 KB
IMGP9759.jpg

Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My custom Valiant Armoury I-Beam trainer arrived yesterday. It has a Crecy crossguard, a Bristol pommel with an ox blood guard and an Allen nut assembly. I wanted a more medieval broadsword look in my training weapon, not a feder with that thin super fast blade. It certainly handles more like a broadsword, with a lot of blade authority, very much like my Darksword Black Prince. It isn't a slow weapon at all, but it does take some leverage on the pommel to execute some movements. I practiced with it in the alley behind my condo yesterday and once I got the hang of the grip and the pommel, movements became much more fluid. If this danged flu ever goes away, I'll take it to HEMA practice tomorrow afternoon. Overall, I'm very happy. Even the cat approves!!!

Bob

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having recently sold off my very first reproduction sword, I picked up a similar sword with some differences. This is a Del Tin 5160 hilt with a type XIX blade. While there are no fullers, the blade stock is an improvement for Del Tin. Although the distal is very linear, the 36" blade is 6mm at the hilt and 2mm just behind the point. The result is a very neutral feel, with the pob five inches from the grip. The weight very close to the stock 5160 stats at KOA at 2lbs 12oz. In revisiting Records of the Medieval Sword, I guess I could long for an exacting reproduction, the blade longer still than even my old Windlass but this variant is very handy. The original long, lean and very pointy.

The Windlass hilt (ring added by me) and this XIX bladed blackened hilt attached below.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 31.3 KB
espada.jpg

Attachment: 54.25 KB
ropera1 - Edited.jpg

Attachment: 60.53 KB
ropera - Edited (1).jpg

Attachment: 40.81 KB
ropera3 - Edited.jpg

Attachment: 48.88 KB
ropera2 - Edited.jpg

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought a DT5160 12 or more years ago. I didn't care for it - a blade heavy clunker, with little distal taper. When Del Tins did have distal taper back then, it often didn't start until half way down the blade. The one you just bought - I assume it is the new standard DT5160. For this one, what is the thickness measurement around the middle of the blade?

It would be interesting to find out how much Del Tin has redone the blade geometry on all their models.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I bought a DT5160 12 or more years ago. I didn't care for it - a blade heavy clunker, with little distal taper. When Del Tins did have distal taper back then, it often didn't start until half way down the blade. The one you just bought - I assume it is the new standard DT5160. For this one, what is the thickness measurement around the middle of the blade?

It would be interesting to find out how much Del Tin has redone the blade geometry on all their models.

I don't know that Del Tin has changed the 5160 to this XIX blade across the board because they have a regular looking one on their online sales page. In discussing this particular sword with the seller, it was direct from Del Tin and may have been a returned custom or prototype. Brian Smith has been selling a lot of Del Tins both at SFI and Ebay.

The distal, as mentioned is very linear and 4mm in the middle. 5mm and 3mm in other sectors. If I had been making this one, I would have opted to reduce the width of the flat in proportion to profile.. As is, the blade is close to lenticular in the last third.. One could hope that new production Del Tins have improved as a norm, even if the distal is linear.

Bjorn, Gus and others had thought the 5160 a decent sword (Bjorn's table gave it a 4 out of 5 rating). That was back at the turn of the century. I had bought the Windlass version in 1999 and found it a bit plastic looking but always enjoyed it dynamically. A little flexy in the foible but only reducing by about half in thickness. That one had a 371/2" blade. It better mimicked the Records picture, with a slimmer grip and turk heads. The pommel was 5/16" threaded and not a welded rod, so it truly started with thick stock.

Here with an MRL Del Tin, Oscar Kolombatovich and the Windlass espada

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 150.69 KB
[ Download ]
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice sword Harry.

Here's my new DT2070, mini-review elsewhere.

Attachment: 103.84 KB
IMG_2912 (640x427).jpg
In hand

Attachment: 116.09 KB
IMG_2917 (640x427).jpg
With the A&A Anglo-Saxon top, George Ezell Black Seax middle, DT2070 bottom.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not a sword, but here is my Christmas present to myself - The Arms and Armor 14th century dagger. Very nice piece

Attachment: 95.97 KB
dagger2s.jpg

Attachment: 99.02 KB
dagger4s.jpg

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: My Last Sword         Reply with quote

Here's my latest, an Xmas present from my wife: an Albion Thegn with custom scabbard. What a wife I've got, eh? Sword is light, swings quite well, scabbard is leather over wood core with white metal fittings and buckle. Can't wait to cut with it!

Attachment: 122.63 KB
DSCF0014.JPG

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher, who made the scabbard? Did they do it at Albion?
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Last Sword         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Here's my latest, an Xmas present from my wife: an Albion Thegn with custom scabbard. What a wife I've got, eh?

I got a sweater, gloves, and slippers. Sad Seriously, you're a lucky man in several ways.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Custom type XI from Maciej Kopciuch. I asked for an atypical slightly downward curved cross guard. I think it turned out great.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Christopher, who made the scabbard? Did they do it at Albion?

Roger, I really don't know. I was under the impression it might have been Russ Ellis. Russ, did you make it?

And yes, I have the best wife!

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
Custom type XI from Maciej Kopciuch. I asked for an atypical slightly downward curved cross guard. I think it turned out great.

Incredible sword! Interesting how small details can distinguish a sword from other similar swords produced... How long is the blade?
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a beautiful sword, Luka. How does it handle? That is an unusually acute, tapering point on that blade, presumably to reflect one made before 1300?

Maciej Kopciuch looks like a new bright star in swordmaking. Hasn't he only been doing this for a couple of years?
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Luka and Roger. Yeah I really like this piece....always wanted a long tapering point like this.

The blade ended up being a bit shorter than originally hoped for, its 33 3/4 inches. It handles nice but definitely has a blade forward feel. I think the POB is right around 6 inches.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 65 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: