Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Re: Losing power and deflection
Rod Parsons wrote:
and even so, a direct strike with a long heavy bodkin can with a direct strike still penetrate 3" to 4 " at the closer ranges..

It has already been established that you have yet to fire at anything resembling medieval plate armour. I'd love to see you come up with any weapon that can penetrate 3 inches of plate. You will have a hard enough time penetrating 3mm.
Really?
Define "resembling". And I'd love to see you wearing 3" of plate... :-)
Rod.
Do you really expect me to believe that you can put an arrow through a three inch thick steel plate?
Missing the point.
More to the point, do you really expect me to believe that plate armour was customarily 3" thick?
Rod.
How is that relevant? I was responding to your claim that "a direct strike with a long heavy bodkin can with a direct strike still penetrate 3" to 4" at the closer ranges." That's even worse than Bacon's claim that a Turkish arrow could penetrate 2 inches of brass.
Language?
Is this a language issue? Saying that a shaft could penetrate 3" to 4" is not the same thing as saying that it would penetrate 3" of steel.
Rod.
ah. Definitely a language issue. Apologies.
Accepted.
No problem. But would you care to define what you would consider a representative test? Given that no-one is likely to offer an antique breastplate.
Rod.
Didn't Sylvia Leever do some destructive testing on extant breastplates?
?
The name is not familiar, particularly not in the context of working with an established exponent of shooting the heavy war shaft.
Rod.

PS. Perhaps you are referring to Professor Levy? Nonetheless the research into penetration is being done by Robert Hardy with Simon Stanley and by Mark Stretton of the Towton Archers with Pip Bickerstaffe.

Last edited by Rod Parsons on Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Re: ?
I agree rod, 3" to 4" of penetration would have extreme effects if it struck over a vital area like heart, lungs, helm - etc.

Agreed, plate was to reduce the likelyhood of sustaining serious injury, I.E. cuasing a blow to glance and to protect against cuts. Armor was NOT standard and footmen to knights fell to the archer, crossbowmen and even sling stones i am reading. <---- i guess a football shaped slingstone was able to blow thru leather and into the body? I used to play with a sling - was quite good, but never could get power like that.

I have often wanted to fire a war arrow and quarrel into the air and get a radar gun on the missile on the way down. But im to chicken to fire in the air and get close enough when its heading back down.

I don't think archers or crossbowmen ran par se, i think they were ready to throw down if need be, but likely preferred not to.

I still can fire a needle bodkin through chain maille, I am attempting to find someone that can get me ballistics gel and make a torso and try it with a cloth under garmet.

Dan........ firing a bodkin through even 3mm of steel is not going to be as big as an issue as you think its going to be. What the issue is going to be is you accepting that it can be done and WAS done and that the items we build (plate and weapon) to the standards that you want them at to hands down accept it. <<<----- NO DISRESPECT ment or inflected in tone towards you dan. Especially when i fired on 1050 carbon steel plate at .121 thickness (about 3mm?) and put one heck of a punch into it at 175lbs. I can say hands down a 600+ lb crossbow is going to destroy it, admittedly my worry is then at 600lbs the chain maille behind it, but thats why we are also using a 1500 to 1900lb. I am just having real issues with anyone that says something like that. ESPECIALLY when you have not (to my knowledge) played with a heavy crossbow and know the power of one.

David
One way ticket.
Not even a doubter would wish to stand in front of Simon Stanley or Mark Stretton in a suit of their best. The consensus here is that such a volunteer would likely not require a return ticket, so there would be some saving on the travel expenses. :-)
On a more serious note, I do not doubt that some steel armour of the highest quality would have considerable effect in resisting penetration, but then again, how many would be so equipped in a force of several thousands?
And even the best would have their weak spots.
As for maille, it has holes in it, and I note that elsewhere Dan has stated that a spear thrust can penetrate maille. (But not a heavy war shaft designed for the purpose?).
Rod.
Re: One way ticket.
Rod Parsons wrote:
Not even a doubter would wish to stand in front of Simon Stanley or Mark Stretton in a suit of their best. The consensus here is that such a volunteer would likely not require a return ticket, so there would be some saving on the travel expenses. :-)
On a more serious note, I do not doubt that some steel armour of the highest quality would have considerable effect in resisting penetration, but then again, how many would be so equipped in a force of several thousands?
And even the best would have their weak spots.
As for maille, it has holes in it, and I note that elsewhere Dan has stated that a spear thrust can penetrate maille. (But not a heavy war shaft designed for the purpose?).
Rod.

The opinion of the forge smiths is the plate is going to fail. Modern plate fails, the wrought is going to fail. Im not saying that crossbows are end all weapons, im not saying that all armor was pierced. But it happened and it happened a lot.

The only reason armor got thicker, the only reason - is that weapons got stronger... and if you look at the swords, daggers, spears, pikes etc... all the hand weapons that were used - NONE of them got stronger becuase they are based on the users strength..... Only one weapon, and one only got stronger..... The crossbow. Longbows were 90 to 180lbs used in war, and they were effective, but the design help the same, you could not make them stronger of more effective. But the crossbow would grow into (some say 3000lbs pull) a massive hand held weapon.

It would go on to produce the setting stick - set the crossbow on the stick to fire it - used on early guns.

It would aid to produce trigger systems due to the heavy prods used. 3, 4, 7 piece and set triggers were designed due to the crossbow.

The crossbow turned into the barreled bullet bow, capable of firing a lead ball, that design is the closest thing to a wicklock/wheellock you can get and still be a crossbow.

the crossbow would produce heavy duty gearing systems to cock them, again a 145:1 system to cock (some say 3000+lb) prods.

What happens when a 4oz steel bodkin tipped bolt traveling at 150 to 190 fps slams into plate steel or maille? The bodkin is by its very design made to punch a hole and then on its edges CUT open the plate. Once the hole is open the bolt either shatters due to the impact OR carries on - either way the steel bodkin that is spinning like a bullet carrys on into the maille or body...... What happens to maille when a say 2.5oz bodkin slams into maille over the body, or if it gets through the maille his the arming coat and the body?

2.5oz steel head hitting the body... thats like a 2.5oz fishing weight lead hitting you off a slingshot - (about 140 fps off a wrist rocket fyi).. Whats the impact going to do to you? but the bodkin - its worse, its tipped with a point and spinning - where a lead ball just hits you - chances are its not going to enter the body. TThe sheer impact however is going to do damage, knock wind out of you - instant shock, the body goes numb, the brain goes into over drive.

i degress.......

Armor was based on what was being used... Sort of an arms race... Potent weapon yielded stronger defense, to the point were armor got to heavy to wear and fight effectively. Same happen when guns really took over the field - armor became 6mm+ thick? to defeat a heavy shot.... Then something happen... armor went away and tactics started taking over. If armor was so effective then why was it not used in the new world. I certainly do not remember reading about heavy armor on people in the revolution or the battles that swept from boston to gettysburg.... Heck i spent 8 years in boston in highschool, i live in the south... Nothing about armor.

Perhaps becuase armor became cumbersom and not able to effectively stop the weapons that it was originally designed to protect against?

David
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
David,

I agree as long as armor is worn musket balls would penetrate armor more reliably. Initially the use of muskets gradualy makes archery obselete because it CAN do a better job against armor, once the bow is abandoned the armor seems doubly useless. This would be the ideal time to bring it back but at this time the skills have been lost and in the minds of the time it would seem like going back to an inneffective weapon. It would have also forced the return of armor cancelling the advantage of a return to archery.(Better to spend on huge musket armies than buy lots of expensive armor that will only be defeated again by the musket balls.)
I would conclude that this very circular relationship between armor, archery, musketery creates an unstable situation where musketery becomes dominant at the expense of both armor and archery.

I think there was another discussion about plate armor versus arrows that discussed about how protective was plate armor. Even if you could fire 5 times as many arrows as musket balls , if only 20% pierced the armor, the advantage would sort of be cancelled out. This sort of explains why one would bother with the weight, heat and cost of armor as long as arrows are used. (Without armor 100% of the arrows, on target, would produce casualties!)

Again in my example the 18th century troops have no protection from arrows: Arrows become even more deadly when the best counter measures have being abandonned.(For a single isolated battle there would be complete surprise and no time for countermeasures.)

How about the Zulus against the british in the 19th century: In this case spears instead of arrows, but again no armor worn by the british. ( In other words primitives weapons can be effective when the best protection from them has been abandoned!)

I hope this above is not too confusing or contradictory: I'm sort of thinking this out as I write it, I welcome any reasonned support or objections. (I'm enjoying this I hope others are also.)

Oh no i agree......

It was better to harrass your opposing force at 200+ yards with a musket ball then it was at 40 yards (which seems to be the accepted range where an arrow is lethal). It took way more power to drive a lead ball thru armor then it did a bodkin - but thats ballistics and the way a bodkin pierces and a ball punches. This is why a broadhead kills some much cleaner then a bullet... Isn't it funny that the armor piercing rounds would have a steel insert in the bullet - bodkin......

Ever read the stories of what a crossbow bolt would do to the ships when fired from a cannon or a gun? I have read accounts..... pure blood and guts. through ships hulls and out the other side.....

I believe that when the america's were taken in plymouth you only had one person to fight - that was indians, over the course of the next 100 years old ideas of fighting were lost as indians were not armored, there bows pulled less then 30 to 45 lbs and they were easy to kill with the guns we had. LEts face it.... gone were the days of opposing armies of 5000+ foot solders facing off..... It wasn't until we fought ourselves that two things happen. One we faced someone that had the same weaponry, and two we faced a person that said "heck with standing up and firing at eachother.... we are hiding and snipe and run". It was then that we considered the longbow against the musket - but the average person then was not able to draw a war bow or fire it effectively - that art had been abandioned for 100+ years, so as you say jean - why fire 9 to 12 shots that might hit at close range and get torn up by the redcoats with muskets?. New guns, cartriges and the repeater would start showing up as time went on. Gone were the trebs, catapults and ballista to the field artillery. Going into the 1880's where the gunfighter reined adventure on the southwestern plains, the gattling gun was used to control battles - Indians abandoned the bow in favor of a gun - the wincester and the colts.

The days of the armor and the reasons for it gone. Armor played keen in WW1 and WW2 on tanks and flak jackets and now adays we have armor (what kept me alive in the service). This is due to the weapons we have today to do the same thing the plate of old was designed to do - increase the chances of survival.

But even a well placed AK or M16 shot will drop the modern warrior

Btw.... did i mention i got the plans to a 1200lb ballista this weekend? I wanna built it!!!!!!!!!!

David
Lethal?
As I have stated elsewhere, 40 yards is not the limit of the lethal range, it is only a credible limit on the distance where you can be more certain of your shot in a fluid situation if aiming at a particular individual.
At extreme range the change in angle will certainly reduce the chances of penetration of plate, But the impact is still capable of being lethal if the appropriate spot is hit within parameters.
It is just that against plate the parameters are greatly reduced in scope with the change in angle.
Rod.
Armour penetration does not automatically mean efficiency; 3000 longbow archers didn't win the english Banocburn, even firing at closed ranks of unarmoured pseudo-pikemen...

Also, as battles are not won by misslie troops alone, you would need a sufficient close combat force to hold the field. And as close combat troops with few missile troops do a better job than missile troops without close combat cover, the close combat troops are usually prioritized.
Flintlock Musketeers, however, can protect themselves, with bayoneted rifles.
Bannockburn?
Mediocre leadership will usually lose you the battle and 3000 archers are not much use if they are not properly employed.
Rod.
Re: One way ticket.
Rod Parsons wrote:
As for maille, it has holes in it, and I note that elsewhere Dan has stated that a spear thrust can penetrate maille.
Where have I said that? My contention has always been that mail can and was proofed against spears and arrows. That doesn't mean that ALL mail was equally resistant. The sources are very clear on the subject. Ffoulkes believed that the phrase, "de toute botte," referred to mail that was proof against all blows – from projectiles, lances, swords, and axes. Another source is the Chronicon Colmariense (1398), in which the author states that men at arms wore, "…an iron shirt, woven from iron rings, through which no arrow fired from a bow could cause injury." The Franciscan friar, John of Plano-Carpini (who was an envoy to the Mongols) described the Mongols making armour-piercing arrows by heating the heads red-hot, then quenching them in salt-water. He then recommended that "doubled mail" be issued to knights to protect them from these arrows. One can infer several things from this passage. Firstly, that it wasn’t normal practice in Europe during this time to harden arrowheads. Secondly, it was believed that hardened arrowheads stood a greater chance of penetrating mail. Thirdly, a type of mail known as “doubled mail” was considered arrow-proof, even against arrows specifically designed to be armour-piercers.
Inferences.
You can also infer that the good friar was not an authority on making arrowheads, that a journalist will tend to put a gloss on things and being considered arrow proof is not a guarantee.
Excuse me, did I say "spear"? I must have been thinking of the Viking sagas. I should have said "rondel".
See "MRL 15thC English Rondel Dagger" where you say "I thought that the whole point of the rondel was to enable the second hand to exert additional force when punching through maille".
But then a spear will follow where a rondel can go...
Rod.
Re: Inferences.
Rod Parsons wrote:
You can also infer that the good friar was not an authority on making arrowheads, that a journalist will tend to put a gloss on things and being considered arrow proof is not a guarantee.
Excuse me, did I say "spear"? I must have been thinking of the Viking sagas. I should have said "rondel".
See "MRL 15thC English Rondel Dagger" where you say "I thought that the whole point of the rondel was to enable the second hand to exert additional force when punching through maille".
But then a spear will follow where a rondel can go...
Rod.

I wanna see maille stop a lance, or a pike!!!!! i have 2 pikes here right now im willing to test!!!...... I have access to a 18 hand horse and im sure we can cut some lances and tip them..... Anyone wanna take a shot from a lance wearing maille and cloth? i will even provide the maille, cloth and even some plate!!!!!

what about from a close range heavy arrow tipped with a needle bodkin? the arrow is going through. It may not go through the wearer, but the tip itself is going to enter the skin and muscle. Those tips were designed with thin cross sections and 90 degree edges with a very soft sweep to wedge into the ring and break it by cutting it from the inside out in three to four areas of the ring. They were 4 to 5" long (i believe - correct me if im wrong) and designed (only purpose in life) was to pierce maille, plate, and shields.....

Pics of one of the two pikes i have here... Made from forged and tempered steel. They are sharp and they cut deep. While they are not mine they are here staying with me until i get get back to the forge to drop them off. But am MORE then willing to poke maille with them to show what a pike can do with even a light thrust.

Hey clint say hi to your pike!!! :P

The other pike is dubbed "the bi^ch" it drew blood 110 times in its making and handling.... Shes not nice.

David

Attachment: 114.91 KB
pikeandmaille.jpg

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Page 5 of 15

Jump to: