Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
I must say I'm quite jealous of that kit. I really like the brass trimming on your bascinet and besegews. It has a very similar feel to my own.

Your cuirass is looking spectacular. I'm almost tempted to sell my off instead of sending it back, and paying to have a copy of yours made. Cool

This is quite a step up for me. I've always been more of a transitional era type of guy, but once I saw Maxim working your BP, I totally changed my mind. Then of course he hadda post an image of that bascinet and it was all over. I still need a good set of hourglass gauntlets however... I have an older set of Maxim's that don't fit me 100%, I bought them sight unseen, so its my own fault...
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:
I must say I'm quite jealous of that kit. I really like the brass trimming on your bascinet and besegews. It has a very similar feel to my own.

Your cuirass is looking spectacular. I'm almost tempted to sell my off instead of sending it back, and paying to have a copy of yours made. Cool

This is quite a step up for me. I've always been more of a transitional era type of guy, but once I saw Maxim working your BP, I totally changed my mind. Then of course he hadda post an image of that bascinet and it was all over. I still need a good set of hourglass gauntlets however... I have an older set of Maxim's that don't fit me 100%, I bought them sight unseen, so its my own fault...

I'm working on getting some hourglass gaunlets myself. Maxim and I have already hammered out the details...just need to get the cash now...not to mention the cash for converting my breastplate into a full cuirass.

Here's a shot of my the rest of my harness (This was before I got the breastplate), so you can see what I mean about the similarity in brass trimming. Nice taste! Happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/samurai_/Walkin.jpg

I also just underwent some weapons upgrades. I have a Valiant Armoury piece coming with a blade by Angus Trim. Beautiful XVIIIb bastard sword, and I recently got around to hafting my pollaxe.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

I'm working on getting some hourglass gaunlets myself. Maxim and I have already hammered out the details...just need to get the cash now...not to mention the cash for converting my breastplate into a full cuirass.

Here's a shot of my the rest of my harness (This was before I got the breastplate), so you can see what I mean about the similarity in brass trimming. Nice taste! Happy

I also just underwent some weapons upgrades. I have a Valiant Armoury piece coming with a blade by Angus Trim. Beautiful XVIIIb bastard sword, and I recently got around to hafting my pollaxe.

Love the helm! Very well done.

I'm doing the whole sword thing too. My practice blades are the Hanwei Hand and a Half and Practical Bastard sword. My cutter (its actually my schools, not just mine) is a Albion Crecy. I decided to focus on the armour first, and when thats done get a nice XVIIa.

I've been focusing on my pollaxe training as much as possible and will be giving classes on WMA pollaxe at Pennsic 40 this summer.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

Love the helm! Very well done.

I'm doing the whole sword thing too. My practice blades are the Hanwei Hand and a Half and Practical Bastard sword. My cutter (its actually my schools, not just mine) is a Albion Crecy. I decided to focus on the armour first, and when thats done get a nice XVIIa.

I've been focusing on my pollaxe training as much as possible and will be giving classes on WMA pollaxe at Pennsic 40 this summer.

I probably should have focused more on a type XVa or XVII sword, but the XVIIIb I've got in the works wouldn't be out of question for the first quarter of the century, I don't think. It sort of falls between types and has a shorter grip that what's found on most of the late german XVIIIb's.

I would very much like to attend Pennsic sometime. I've only done rudimentary pollaxe training, but will soon be putting myself through the learning gauntlet.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

I probably should have focused more on a type XVa or XVII sword, but the XVIIIb I've got in the works wouldn't be out of question for the first quarter of the century, I don't think. It sort of falls between types and has a shorter grip that what's found on most of the late german XVIIIb's.

I would very much like to attend Pennsic sometime. I've only done rudimentary pollaxe training, but will soon be putting myself through the learning gauntlet.

Swords are very much one of those things I kinda just wander with until I find one I like... even if its not exactly period.

I'm not a huge SCA fan, but Pennisc, especially 40 gives my school a LOT of people to get in front of to pull them torwards WMA.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the cuirass under construction:

The rear has no support yet, so it looks droopy. It won't be.

Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William that cuirass looks really good. Thanks for posting as I love seeing pictures of work in process like that. tr
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom,

I will try to keep posting them as Maxim provides them for me.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a picture of my wife with her Taza rapier and "just for fun" clothes (i.e. this is not a gear that she's planning to wear anywhere), but I just liked it so much that I had to share it:

Attachment: 205.12 KB
123d.JPG

David Butchee

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my armour; 40lbs of handmade maille I made from wire I acquired at the hardware store. And a cheapy Helmet I got off ebay.

I'm not finished with the maille yet, and I plan on getting a better helm soon

Attachment: 73.61 KB
Myself3.jpg

Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Sergeant, circa 1250         Reply with quote

Since Sander asked for a picture of my kit, I had one taken today on the last day of our easter-camp on Castle Frankenstein.
I reenact a sergeant of the gatehouse, using as reference for most of the parts illuminations of the Morgan Bible and the Codex Manesse.

I am wearing maille coif and mittens, a thick gambeson, padded upper thigh armor with steel kneecaps, infantry shield, one-handed sword, an aunlaz dagger and my kettle helmet.

Thomas

Attachment: 124.34 KB
Sergeant_1250.jpg
Sergeant of the gatehouse at Castle Frankenstein.

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Matthijs van Halteren

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here 2 pictures of my Russian/Slavic gear from around 11th/12th century.
Its not complete yet, I still need to make my arm protection, not sure to use Russian Bazubands or the Byzantine like armsplints aka "Varanger".
My Russian sabre is made by Wojciech Szanek of http://www.miecz-sword.com
I am also considering the purchase of a steel lamellar armour.

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas;
Very nice kit! Do you plan to expand to mail eventually?

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Elling,

thanks for the compliment! It would be an option to go for a rivited maille hauberk, indeed. Perhaps with a separate coif, as seen on some german illuminations (I mean the ones with rectangular flaps). Furthermore I will sew a new surcotte, which will be a little bit shorter.

But since I am reenacting a relatively poor nobleman without knighthood (who serves at his knights castle), he probably won't have the monies to own such a hauberk. But he could have earned some treasure, fighting in outremer with Friedrich II. Who knows ... Happy

Best regards,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Mark T

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who would have known that 11/12th C Russians/Slavs had such futuristic-looking modes of transportation! Happy
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
Hi Elling,

thanks for the compliment! It would be an option to go for a rivited maille hauberk, indeed. Perhaps with a separate coif, as seen on some german illuminations (I mean the ones with rectangular flaps). Furthermore I will sew a new surcotte, which will be a little bit shorter.

The mail hauberk is rather expensive, but a profesional soldier should be able to aford one if he saves up money. It would apear that the gambeson was also rather expensive, but obviously considered better value for money than just the hauberk.

The foot soldiers in Mac are sometimes more heavily armoured than the knights, wearing an aditional aceton on top of the hauberk. This is described for knights as well, but the knights in Mac are portrayed in a very standardized fashion, as opposed to the footsoldiers.
From the norwegian writen sources, it seems that it was also common to combine a gambeson with a sleeveless aceton. With such a getup, you could buy the gambeson first, then aceton, then mail, and maybe a coat of plates for good measure (though with some 30 layers of gambeson and mail, you would hardly need it unless you where planing to take a lance to the chest.)

The surcote does appear a bit long, but is otherwise nice. Maybe you could fit it with sleeves and use it as a gardecorps? Many of the period illustrations show surcotes around knee length, but just below the knee is most aesteticaly pleasing in my experinece. A short surcote makes you look like a top heavy blob with tiny legs.:P

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Lael Jones

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My kit         Reply with quote

Christoffer Lorang Dahl wrote:
Here I am in parts of my kit.

Holy Carpp Eek! that is one bad a$$ kit.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My kit         Reply with quote

Lael Jones wrote:

Holy Carpp Eek! that is one bad a$$ kit.

Especially the heart on the groin plate. A long time favorite target Wink

Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My kit         Reply with quote

Eek! Part? PART!? That's better gear then some people can even get half of! Laughing Out Loud

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A goofy picture of me, in most of my soft kit:

Yes, that is my VERY dirty gambeson...

And a picture of me teaching Longsword to some children. They got to stab me after the lesson...

I'm not wearing my arms as I still have yet to cut down my haubergeon...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 51 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: