Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a better picture of my 12th century Black Knight kit sans helmet, etc. A better background this time also. Somehow a front yard just doesn't cut it.

Attachment: 146.25 KB
Black Knight.jpg

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Ben van Koert wrote:
It's called a brigandine. It's made by Steve Lunn, White Rose Apparel.

Is White Rose still in existance?

The web site that I have link for has been down for a long time.

Yes.

http://www.whiteroseapparel.com/

Thank you.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Here is a better picture of my 12th century Black Knight kit sans helmet, etc. A better background this time also. Somehow a front yard just doesn't cut it.

Indeed the background is much better. Have to find a castle for proper pictures myself. By the way, the lion looks really great.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much. The lion was a project in itself. I like your "Hundred Year's War" look too. I notice you are in Germany. A very beautiful country. I lived there for four years way back in the early to mid sixties. We were living in Wiesbaden, on the Rhine. So many castles, so little time. If I had had my way, I would have prowled every one. That's where it all started for me. Very nice people too. I wish I could find a way to go back. Ah well- Maybe someday...
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Felix R.

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately we don´t have too many castles up here in Northern Germany. But, yes the area in the south is well scattered with them. Can recommend a travel to Rhein und Mosel area, they have nice whine there too.

Althouhg I was looking for a Northern Italian kit it would be good for "Hundred Years War" too, didn´t think about that. So I can even go for a mid 14th cent English foot if I want, something I was looking for anyway. Thanks for the hint. Wink
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Very nice kit and nice background
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Very nice kit and nice background

Thanks for your comments. It's not easy sometimes to find an appropriate setting for a decent picture for this sort of thing. Even so, you can see power lines off in the distance.I thought the 12th century would be cheaper to do than the later plate eras. Um, I was wrong.
I do have one picture that shows NO modern crud in it. So, if I may, here it is,,,

Attachment: 141.62 KB
Last Stand.jpg

Felix R.

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Thanks for your comments. It's not easy sometimes to find an appropriate setting for a decent picture for this sort of thing. Even so, you can see power lines off in the distance.I thought the 12th century would be cheaper to do than the later plate eras. Um, I was wrong.
I do have one picture that shows NO modern crud in it. So, if I may, here it is,,,

Hey Jeff, can you just tell what the kit consists of? Can´t see this too well with all black in black.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, he seems to have a sword, a shield, a hume, and a black hole, with which he destroys the enemies of Christiandom.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, okay, at the risk of seeming long-winded, here goes...
The helmet is a heat-blackened modified Black Prince helm by William Hurt of Arms and Armour. He also made the mantle.
The Surcoat is black leather with a heavy cotton liner and gold medieval-style floral trim, split up the front, rear and sides, and laces up on the sides from hips to armpits with thongs. Courtesy of Pendragon costumes
The silver and red lion on the chest was specially made in England by a Heraldry company whose name I can't remember, but I can find it for someone if they wish. I then cut it out of the black material and hand sewed it on.
The sword is an Albion Norman in a Christian Fletcher scabbard.
The silver-plaqued belt is by Urweg.
The shield is by Rampant Lion designs. Mainly for display, but it works for this.
The blackened mail is also from England. I made a Haubergeon out of it, split it front and back, and trimmed the length a bit. I prefer a looser sleeve for roominess, so I left it as is. The coif I left untouched, I like the over-the-shoulder length. It's butted mail (Yeah, yeah, I know, not historically accurate, but I gotta cut costs somewhere... it hasn't got a bit of rust on it though), but it's held up well and looks nice with minimal attention.
I trimmed the gambeson on the collar and sleeves with the same gold trim used for the surcoat.
The gloves are by Ravenswood Leather.
I forget where I got the boots, but they work, look decent, and weren't terribly expensive.
That pretty much sums it up for this outfit I guess.
If you care to, send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send you some much better pics that you can see with more detail.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Went to a local Medieval fair in Montréal this Saturday and a friend took pics of me and another friend.

I'm the one in the plate armour with a German Sallet and plackard and most of the the armour is from Mercenary Taylor's and the maille is from " The Ring Lord " welded stainless steel.

Sword is a Valiant Armoury Blunted longsword ( Didn't want to bring a sharp and it looks like a sharp from 5 feet away ).
Boots are from Chivalry Bookshelf, sword belt is from Christian fletcher.

The armour is fairly generic but the helm makes it look mostly late 15 th century German.

Fun but hot and sweaty day but the armour got good reactions from people as most of the other armour people where wearing was very shiny stainless or " Orc " type stuff ...... Oh well people where having fun even if most or many can't tell the difference. Wink Laughing Out Loud At least my stuff looked like real using " armour " and for some reason people would get out of my way even in a crowd. Laughing Out Loud

Oh, I'm not that small but my friend Fabien next to me is huge. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 122.48 KB
IMG_1044.jpg

Attachment: 119.87 KB
IMG_1045.jpg

Attachment: 121.69 KB
IMG_1049.jpg

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I love how it looks! The Merc Tailor armour looks great! I'm really jealous.

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Jean! Looks quite dashing!
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Gilleland wrote:
Jean,

I love how it looks! The Merc Tailor armour looks great! I'm really jealous.

Me too obviously and I sort of wimped out as I'm not wearing everything possible like the lower leg armour and the B & B plates that can be combined with the Plackard. ( Hot and heavy enough as it was. Wink Laughing Out Loud )

One thing I find annoying is that my eye glasses got pushed down on one side and it looks odd: Well one reason for wearing this helm in particular is that the visor sort of hides the glasses and this helm looks very reptilian and menacing as well as feeling good in not being as top heavy as some other types of helm I own.

The helm also looks great in profile and very much like the Dürer drawing of " The Knight and the Devil " , as well as the 3/4 armour using boots instead of lower leg plate armour.

Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to ask, what sort of maille is that?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:

He already said, 'and the maille is from " The Ring Lord " welded stainless steel.'

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

He already said, 'and the maille is from " The Ring Lord " welded stainless steel.'

Yup and here is a link:
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproduc...8516313949

Oh, and a few more pics. ( Had to work on these to bring the file size below 125 K to be able to post them ).

One of them shows the back and the helm from the side.

Attachment: 43.67 KB
IMG_1046a.jpg

Attachment: 59.27 KB
IMG_1053a.jpg

Attachment: 53.86 KB
IMG_1055a.jpg

Attachment: 55.87 KB
IMG_1056a.jpg

Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jean, I was there all weekend too... I remember standing next to you in front of the stage but I didn't recognized you at that moment. Must be because of the sallet! The duellists made a great demo also, like last year. I liked when Yan Robidoux brought up his poleaxe...

I was also able to test the new foam longsword prototypes made by Calimacil with Patrick de Marchi and Jonathan Verville. Pretty cool stuff, the foam is dense enough to behave realistically for blade-on-blade work, yet allow for more vigourous training than wooden wasters and steel blunts. I had a full blown krumphau made at my hands and it didn't hurt at all.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: salon medieval montreal         Reply with quote

Jean & Hugo,
I was there on sunday, next year we need to meet over mead at the Salon. We could extend the invitation to all forumites, in particular those from neighbouring states or provinces. JC

Bon coeur et bon bras
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Hey Jean, I was there all weekend too... I remember standing next to you in front of the stage but I didn't recognized you at that moment. Must be because of the sallet! The duellists made a great demo also, like last year. I liked when Yan Robidoux brought up his poleaxe...

I was also able to test the new foam longsword prototypes made by Calimacil with Patrick de Marchi and Jonathan Verville. Pretty cool stuff, the foam is dense enough to behave realistically for blade-on-blade work, yet allow for more vigourous training than wooden wasters and steel blunts. I had a full blown krumphau made at my hands and it didn't hurt at all.

Yes I was there with other members/students of the " Les Duellistes ", haven't seen that prototype yet but it seems interesting as we try to maintain full control and any contact is accidental: With a safe foam but realistic training blade one could use some light contact safely. One could have a long debate about the advantages and disadvantages of training with contact or no contact, but I think being able to do both can be useful as well as training at full speed, half speed or slow motion for a change of pace.

The sallet does hide most of one's face. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 17 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: