Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Matthijs van Halteren

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do Russian and Slavic re-enactment 1000-1250 AD period, so here is my equipment, still havent finished the mail on my helmet yet as I ran out of rings.
This year I will buy a steel lamellar armour and a hauberk and plan on making a gambeson

And here is a picture in my clothes I made
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I especially like the blunt saber. Who made it?
Matthijs van Halteren

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Wow, I especially like the blunt saber. Who made it?

It is made by Wojchiech Szanek of Biala Bron http://www.miecz-sword.com/ for the price of 400 euro.
It is very hard steel, I fight full contact with it for more then a year now and still no dents in the edges of the blade Cool
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

awesome!! i have always wanted to make a kit like that
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are photos of my new mid-14th century kit. I have not gotten rid of my 15th century Milanese full plate kit; I just wanted a second suit.

I aimed to make it look like something out of the Romance of Alexander.

I made the coat of plates, and the arm and leg harness. The bascinet, mail, and gauntlets were lent to me by a friend for the purpose of taking these photos. I do, however, have similar items of my own on the way or in the works, so the final result will be essentially identical to what is pictured here.

Non Concedo
John H

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a couple photos of my 16th century kit.

I'm happy to field any questions.

Last edited by John H on Sun 04 Apr, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who made that? You don't see 16th century full plate kits very often. Do you have any closer shots of it?
Pastime With Good Company
John H

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another shot:

The suit is from Illusion.
Voiders from GDFB.
Historic Enterprises arming doublet.
Mail skirt from eBay.
The 2-hander is a Hanwei.
The other sword is a Windlass.
The rondel is a Del Tin.

I need to figure out a better way to suspend the skirt. Right now it just has a belt cinched over it.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous kit, great photos, and a very dramatic backdrop. Where were these pictures taken, if I might ask?
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
John H

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

American Fork Canyon, Utah
Evan Jones

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I need to figure out a better way to suspend the skirt. Right now it just has a belt cinched over it.

Maybe you should add some more points to the doublet, and suspend the skirt from those. You'd need at least four, but you wouldn't have to worry about it spontaneously slipping off Eek!

"Love and serve your friends, hate and harm your enemies..." -Geoffroi de Charny
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: armour         Reply with quote

John that is a great harness!! It's always refreshing to see full plate that isn't German gothic Big Grin
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: armour         Reply with quote

Indeed, that is a very nice harness, John. I'm critical of Illusion's lack of concern for specific details in their designs. The flow of the harness is nice and it certainly echoes an early 16th century feel (particularly from Tudor England, in my opinion), but there are numerous issues with the exactness of their construction methods and the proportions of certain pieces of the harness. For example, the pauldrons lack the proper amount of extension forward, giving less protection than historic examples. The only reason a pauldron would be made so shallow would be to allow a lance to be cradled, and this would specifically be on the right shoulder.

The biggest issue, though, is that you do not have a separate, articulated gorget - this is a pivotal piece of a complete harness, and I suspect that if you get one you will realize that it improves the overall aesthetic quality of your kit very much. For between two and four hundred dollars I suspect you could commission one to fit or pick one up from a vendor such as Mercenary's Tailor (which I've seen recent good reviews for on their gorgets). I think it would be a good investment considering what time and money you already have in the kit.

Cheers!

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
John H

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Gregory. I agree the pauldrons are the weakest part of the harness.

I would be interested in photos of any specific gorgets that you feel would be a good match.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John H wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Gregory. I agree the pauldrons are the weakest part of the harness.

I would be interested in photos of any specific gorgets that you feel would be a good match.

Well I guess this one: http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=50

I'm fairly sure that a gorget like this would be worn under the breast plate so that a lance or sword glancing off the breast plate couldn't makes it's way under the gorget.

The neck protection on your helm looks good except that one can see a big great and tempting gap between the breast plate and the gorget integral ( I think integral ? ) with the helm.

Maybe Allan could chime in here as he knows how these pieces of armour should work optimally together.

There could be fitting issues so be sure of when ordering the gorget to be sure that your helm will work with it as it means having a few overlapping layers of steel that have to fit with each other comfortably and not restrict range of motion not to mention pinching or jamming up together.

P.S. Just send Allan an e-mail or a P.M. if you have questions about his gorget or just a general question about gorgets.

You can trust Allan to tell you if he thinks that these might not work together or what might have to be measured so as to make the gorget compatible with the rest of your harness.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the lower price range I mentioned the example Jean just posted from Merc's Tailor is exactly what I had in mind. Of course, as he correctly stated, it would be worn under the cuirass so as long as you get the fit around the neck correct, most examples should work okay with minor adjustment. The style you're looking for would definitely be a simple one like the example above - Two pieces on the bottom to fit snugly under the cuirass with 2/3 articulated lames rising from it, held in places with rather loose leather strips that allow a range of motion.

For the money, I'd definitely contact Allan and see if he thinks he could get one that would have the proper fit for you and the right amount of curvature over the upper chest to fit smoothly beneath your cuirass. I believe that his product is probably a perfect match for the quality of your existing harness. It wouldn't make sense to get anything wildly better made or any less worthily constructed, in my opinion. If he doesn't have anything that fits you, I'd stroll over to the Armour Archive and post a thread in the classified section showing images of your cuirass and burgonet when they're on you, give a neck circumference measurement and ask for "a proper early 16th century gorget" to be made to match. You'll have armorers throwing you offers so fast you won't know what to do.

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without over hyping Allan, which I consider a friend as well as my go to guy for armour, he does give good service and his wait times are very short as opposed to others who might take months or years to get the product finished.
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would a gorget really go under that helm with the attached gorget?

If so...

Would a gorget be appropraite under a bevor? for a late 15th century?

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
Would a gorget really go under that helm with the attached gorget?

If so...

Would a gorget be appropraite under a bevor? for a late 15th century?

Really not sure about the details of this period's armour but I'm fairly certain that large vulnerable gaps would be avoided by some means, including some overlap of plates and strapping or pointing making it difficult for a blade to slip in between.

The gorget seems like a credible practical fix and would be mostly unseen in any case and needed for safety if the armour is used for bouting in real life. For more costume use these details in functionality can be ignored as long as the gap is not so obvious as to spoil the look as effective armour.

In this period I think the distinction between a gorget and bevor would be sort of blurred as the neck part of the helm functionally does the same as both since the armet and neck protection are built as a unit or closely fitted with the armet being able to turn with the head on a ring mount while the gorget/bevor part fixed in place over the breast plate. ( Some built like this on a ring turning at the top of the gorget/bevor but not all I think ).

I could be wrong as I haven't really studied this period armour as attentively as the 14 th. century and 15 yth century armour.

In the case of this specific helm ( Maybe not an armet, which is even more close fitting, but more a burgonet ) it does look like the nect protection would move with the head side to side and another protective device is what would work.

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris in answer to the first part of your questions yes. As can be seen in John's pics the gorget lames of the helmet do not, nor due to B&B plate and pauldron straps cannot sit directly on the armour below, thus there is a gap, while seemingly small a gap non the less, the gorget with neck lames serves not only as a platform for possible attachement of the pauldrons but the heavier arm harness but also via the neck lames to cover that small gap that could sometimes present itself between helmet lames and breast plate.

Note the following examples from the myArmoury period examples album http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....fullsize=1
In this clearly based on 1) the attchement points of the pauldrons and 2) the neck line of the breast plate in relation to the bottom lame of the helemt gorget there is clearly a seperate gorget beneath
Here again the same two indicators are present http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....fullsize=1

In answer to the second part i've seen both with and without, but always of simple base plate ( the big front and back plates that sit on the shoulders and chest ) and no neck lames when seperate from the sallet. See this example from the myArmoury galleries http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....fullsize=1 Note the simple base plate gorget beneanth the bevor. There are early 16th century examples of bevor/gorgets sometimes directly attached to the sallet where the bevor has a gorget like back plate with neck lames but these are to the best of my knowledge strictly of early 16ht century origin and disappeared quickly in favor of the more traditional multi- lame gorget as the close helmet became more popular.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 32 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: