Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

most important however is to get your civilian kit done before you start on the armour. you'll be wearing that more than your armour so naturally this would and should be your first concern. I highly sugest you learn to sew
here's a good site.
https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
i suggest you spend your money on some of their patterns instead of armour and work on from there. if you're the only 16th century reanactmentgroup in your neighbourhood you'll not be having battles soon so;)[/quote]

I already have my leine done, my project for this summer is to make the jacket. I'm currently looking at wool for
Hendrik De Coster wrote:
paul, on what are you basing the bleu and white plumes for a pikemen?
i know they are a must for a man at arms as described in the abbeville ordonnance but never have seen them mentioned in the description of a pikemen.
very good looking kit though!!

Thank you very much. I am trying to imitate the look of the rear rank in the illustrations of Master WA of Bruges. Maybe those aren't really pikemen?

Your pictures look great. I dream of sometime being able to participate in an event in Belgium or the Low Countries.

Best Regards,

Paul
Hello All,

My 14th century kit with the latest improvements... New Spring steel breastplate, 2nd hand sabatons and the rest of the kit polished to match the breastplate.

I left off the knightly gown so the armour showed.

The chest that it all fits in. (We made it)

Cheers,

David
David - it's nice to see someone wearing a full maill harness under plate armour. Very nice kit, maybe show also some photos with the gown on?
Nikodem Czechowski wrote:
David - it's nice to see someone wearing a full maill harness under plate armour. Very nice kit, maybe show also some photos with the gown on?

Here is one from last year with the old breastplate, sabatons, and lower gloss shine.

Cheers,

David
hmm, strange, it seems none is going for the earlies :P

the first, I am the guy with double swords

As the John III Sobieski Dragoon officer

Me and my Scottish handsomeness

I am slowly getting together a plate armour and the polish II world war commando suit, so that will certainly not be all...
Finally I have a good enough photo of my new and improved armour:

Under all (and not visible) there is a gambeson of stout cloth. Over there is my maille shirt, buyed on eBay for 50€ and modified by me with integrated gloves and mail coif. Under the coif is a Cervelliera, over the maille the pazienza with the color of my company: imperial black and the white-on-red cross of Como (I know, I know, Milano use a red-on-white cross. So what? Obliviously WE thinked of it first :p )

The church is the one of Abbiate Guazzone in Tradate (VA - Italy)

[ Linked Image ]
Jerzy Miklaszewski wrote:

Jerzy,

I got chills (in a good way) when I saw the drummer in this picture. Not only is she beautiful, but her image conjured up thoughts of seventeenth and eighteenth century history in my mind; romantic images of struggle, revolution, rapid changes in the arts and sciences, etc. Although the relevant locations are a bit different and the times a century or so apart, I get a similar feeling looking at this picture of her as I do when contemplating Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People. What's more, I think she's actually much prettier than the lady in the painting. She has a look of strength, quiet determination, and thoughtful contemplation about her that I really like: the very image of a heroine.

Thanks for the aesthetic/emotional fuel.
P. Norton wrote:
Jerzy Miklaszewski wrote:

Jerzy,

I got chills (in a good way) when I saw the drummer in this picture. Not only is she beautiful, but her image conjured up thoughts of seventeenth and eighteenth century history in my mind; romantic images of struggle, revolution, rapid changes in the arts and sciences, etc. Although the relevant locations are a bit different and the times a century or so apart, I get a similar feeling looking at this picture of her as I do when contemplating Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People. What's more, I think she's actually much prettier than the lady in the painting. She has a look of strength, quiet determination, and thoughtful contemplation about her that I really like: the very image of a heroine.

Thanks for the aesthetic/emotional fuel.

I have to say, the very same thoughts occurred to me when I saw that picture.
My new "soft kit" for the portrayal of a fairly wealthy retainer of the 1470's
Re: Armour
Hendrik De Coster wrote:
Reece Nelson wrote:
Hendrik Im lovin' you're kit! :D May I ask who the armourer was?

it was made by pavel marek, www.armorymarek.com . total price for breastplate+ arms; 780 euro, made to measurement.
right now i have to find a good way to polish my older spaulders and leg armour so they look better together

I have several questions about the armour Pavel, Hendrik. First of all, how thick is it (1.5 mm, 2 mm?) and, second of all, what kind of steel is it made of?

Now, to post some of my own "kits", first of all I must begin with a disclaimer saying that I do not actually own any armour. I have several uniforms from various time-periods ranging between the Napoleonic wars and the Second World War and I hope they qualify as kits.

So, to start with the earliest. Our eldest uniform is the Grenzer uniform from 1806. The Grenz-Regiments were the border-guards of the Austrian Empire both during, before and after the Napoleonic wars. These regiments were created according to geographic areas of the border (the border on the Carpathians, the border on the Danube etc.) and they were manned with only people from the respective area. Thus, regiments from the Danube region were exclusively Croatian, Serbian etc. while regiments from the Carpathians were exclusively Romanian, Szekler and Hungarian and so on. These national regiments came back to bite the Austrians in the back-side badly during the Revolutions of 1848, when most of the various national regiments defected to join their fellow revolutionaries. My reenactment group reconstructs a group of soldiers from the Second Grenz-Regiment Nr. 17 based in Nasaud. We have about 15 or so troops, led by a Lieutenant (or OberLeutnant as it is in German) and two Gefreiters (the equivalents of Private First Class).

This is our group in a picture with some fellow British and Bulgarian reenactors.

Moving on, we have the Romanian army uniforms from the 1860s and 1870s. We reenact several parts of the Romanian army (the Line Infantry, the Jaegers, the territorial Dorobanti troops etc.) that distinguished themselves in the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878.

This is a picture of us from a parade in Sigmaringen, Germany. I'm the one in white with the black hat. My uniform is that of a Dorobant soldier while the uniforms of my comrades are those of Romanian Jaegers (the brown ones) and Gendarmes (the blue uniform with the white kepi covering) .

After these uniforms we have our First World War uniforms. From the First World War we reenact both Romanian infantry regiments and Romanian Mountain troops (somewhat akin to Jaegers or Chasseurs) along with Romanian border guards from that time period to add some spice. These uniforms are surprisingly comfortable and are easily among my favourites. The only thing I find rather uncomfortable are the puttees which we have to wrap around our legs. Much as the soldiers of old, we have noticed a disturbing tendency these puttees have of unraveling in the worst possible moment.

This is a picture of us from a march last year on one of Romania's tallest mountain plateaus. Our lieutenant (our group composition is the same in all reconstructed ages, 15 or so soldiers led by an officer who is a lieutenant or a lieutenant's equivalent) is the one in the green-ish uniform. We aimed for a "Big Damn Heroes" pose in the picture. I'll leave it to the good members of this forum to decide if it came out fine. :P Oh, and I'm also pretty much close to the middle of the group. I'm the guy who is holding his rifle in both hands.

Finally, we reach our Second World War uniforms. We reenact the same range of troops we reenact in the First World War basically, with the addition of Romanian paratroopers. I will admit that the uniform for this period is one of the more unforgiving ones, due to its fabric and its great weight. The fabric is simply close to unbearable when in the heat of the summer-months but I admit it has its uses in the dead of winter chill.

Here's a picture of us during a march in Hungary this year. Here we were also wearing a type of jacket over our basic uniforms. This jacket was especially designed for cold winter months when the soldiers had to take on (besides the various Soviet foes) positively deadly temperatures and, as such, would have been seen in the confrontations in and around Stalingrad.

These are our paratrooper uniforms. I'm the one furthest to the left in the line.

Anyway, this is pretty much it for my kits. I hope you enjoyed this post and I also hope that in the near future I will have an actual harness to show.
Re: Armour
Mihai Ionita wrote:
I have several questions about the armour Pavel, Hendrik. First of all, how thick is it (1.5 mm, 2 mm?) and, second of all, what kind of steel is it made of?

"The armour is manufactured from sheet iron, thickness 1.5mm or 2mm at extra cost.
Brass parts of the armour are made of 1.5mm sheet brass.
The armour´s finish is polished or mat."
it's mild steel, but what do you expect? in general it's more than strong enough for heavy reanactment combat. just make sure you as highly demanding. it's alwso better to order from him in real life as his understanding of english isn't hat great and this way you can show him what you mean by making gestures. using german also helps;)
when i ordered mine i made a complete photoalbum of the items i wanted, all from different angles.then i had some extra measurements taken en drew these on a copy of the photo's. it turned out quite nicely, especially for the "low" price tag.
in august i'm going to order some more armour by him, an armet based upon one in the NY met and complete leg armour based upon the churburg armour
[/quote]
Pardon me, but what exactly do you mean by "just make sure you as highly demanding"? I didn't really understand.

Do you mean to say that if one takes good care of it the armour is good no matter the materials used?
Mihai Ionita wrote:
Pardon me, but what exactly do you mean by "just make sure you as highly demanding"? I didn't really understand.

Do you mean to say that if one takes good care of it the armour is good no matter the materials used?

In French one has a similar expression meaning particular and demanding about quality " Très exigeant ) or " Not a pushover/sucker !

Basically a sophisticated buyer who won't accept a low quality product and will specify his high expectations and what the minimum quality he will find acceptable giving detailled information about what is expected.

I assume that this is a case of " literal " translation of an expression that sounds strange in English. ;)
Ah, I understand now. Thank you for the interpretation, Jean. I did not consider the words spoken by Hendrik an insult. Far from it! I was merely curious about what he meant since I find the words and advice of people here on myArmoury tres important as one would say in French. You have far more experience than I when it comes to the use and study of armour and I consider that experience quite valuable, considering the fact that my group will expand to the Middle Ages in the near future.

Considering the Western influences which appeared in the Romanian territories during the late Fourteenth century (due mainly to Charles Robert de Anjou's accession as king of Hungary), I will most likely be sporting a late Fourteenth/early Fifteenth century persona, for versatility. Basically something fit for the Azincourt-Grunwald period. That is a good transition between the centuries.

And, with that kind of equipment, I could also easily participate at later, mid-Fifteenth century reenactments and excuse myself as a poor son of a nobleman who could only afford to use his old-man's harness and arms. People would mock me, probably, but such is the cost that comes with versatility. :P
Hey David,

Very nice looking kit! Am I right in thinking those are GDFB's hourglass gauntlets? I've considered picking up and modifying a pair of those...what's your opinion on them?
im sorry about the confusing choice of my words. it's because english isn't my natural language. I indeed ment it like jean explained it. pavel already knows it that when he sees me he has to be "affraid" because in general i can say i'm one of his most demanding clients. most people just go through his catalogue and mix and match. I know of atleast 6 persons who've got the same pauldrons, each with te same functional mistakes etc. the best thing to do is therefor to base yourself on an existing armour and have your armourer, be it pavel or someone else make a custom fit replica. at pavel a custom made piece of armour costs you the same as a standard size piece so it's worth the wait.
Robert S. Haile wrote:
Hey David,

Very nice looking kit! Am I right in thinking those are GDFB's hourglass gauntlets? I've considered picking up and modifying a pair of those...what's your opinion on them?

They are, and they are junk. I've rebuilt them, reshapped the fingers, reriveted them and sewed in much better gloves and they are "just passable" for use. The old expression of "Don't build your castles out of sand" fits in this case. save your money and get a nice custom pair.

They are the next thing on the harness list to be replaced.

Cheers,

David
David Teague wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:
Hey David,

They are, and they are junk. I've rebuilt them, reshapped the fingers, reriveted them and sewed in much better gloves and they are "just passable" for use. The old expression of "Don't build your castles out of sand" fits in this case. save your money and get a nice custom pair.

They are the next thing on the harness list to be replaced.

Cheers,

David

Phew...thanks for the warning. Custom is always the more rewarding way to go :cool:
Hello all. Here are some pictures of what you could call my "living history" kit. (It is identical to my SCA kit, which is mostly hidden armour, but with a different helm and spear obviously). I am going for an early Mercian Anglo-Saxon (625-50ce), and I realize several errors with my kit. :(
As for the mistakes, well, way too much black...and I don't think that the long tunics were in vogue yet, I also doubt that fleece was used in winnegas and the 'pointy egg'-shaped oval shield cannot be proven as being used by the Saxons. (I like this shape best for actual contact fighting). Also, I am using a Cold steel Asagai style spear head, but it is close enough to the 'leaf-blade' style for now. :\
In the maille pics, I am using ringmesh welded 5mm, not riveted maille. Aaaaaand, please don't look at my shoes! :blush: Anyway, I made the tunics,belt and shield. The helm, bronze Thor's hammer, and oak shaft were gifts.

Last edited by David Clark on Thu 15 Jul, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Page 39 of 100

Jump to: