Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Scott Brown wrote:
Here is what my 1390's harness curently looks like:

]

You both Really looks great.( I edited out most of the pics and text to not clutter up the post but left one for quick recognition so people can scroll up a few posts to see it all ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mario Patzke wrote:
Hell, why not...
Got to start somehow, might as well post up my current kit.

Well, here is it - and I'm well aware of the historical fallacies and errors:

It's what kept me alive over the last years, that's why it looks the way it does.
Dented, rusted, bent and battered.
Most of it is not made-to-measure but "standard" size budget stuff that "somewhat" fits me.
What I saved in costs I paid in agility and mobility, and I'm well aware.
Either way, it's a alright looking kit, and it served me well.

Well, that's it for now.

Cheers,
Mario / Elric von Rabenfels

Well it does give you a rather "scary look " in a good way and 1000% better than what we see in most Hollywood or T.V. historical period productions. ( I mean it looks very dramatic even if this is not what you are using it for ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
S. Sebok

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Scott Brown wrote:

For anyone interested in the origins of the pieces pictured:

The plate, including the helmet and gauntlets is mild steel smithed by Jeffrey Hildebrandt of Royal Oak Armory, in the style of 1390's english effigies with a couple notable exceptions. The maille is 9mm wedge riveted mild steel with linseed blackening by Cap-a-Pie in the UK, with edges of a few rows of brass rings added by myself. The aventail is 7mm wedge riveted maille also from Cap-a-Pie. The incredible shield is very authentic in construction, made by Gerhard von Liebau over at Armor Archive. You can read more about how it was made here: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...e#p2544094 The rondel is hand made by Ironbbadger, and the sword is an Albion Crecy with a custom scabbard made by Brian Kuntz of DBK Custom Swords and Scabbards, with my persona's personal heraldic symbol (the "fleur doubletet") and one of my persona's mottos inscribed on it: "Mens conscia recti". I thought a sword with a motto like that was "cooly ironic" in the medieval sort of way. The leather pouch is by Bohemond, and the belt with brass fittings that it hangs from is hand made by myself. I also made the jupon from linen, and hand embroidered the wool applique' charges. I have previously used linen to make the applique' charges with good success but wanted something a little more refined looking this time. Admittedly the jupon needs a few more lacing holes up the side Happy. Underneath the armor is a lot of hand made fabric foundation garments, notably a Charles VI Aketon made by Nicole Moffett, wife of myArmoury (and Armor Archive) member Randall Moffett.

And a pic of my lady Caren in her late 14th - early 15th century houppelande, also made by Nicole Moffett. Her red velvet belt was hand made by myself, with decorative brass mounts with tiny hummingbirds, which are a favorite of her persona. You can't see them very well in these pictures but her hand-crafted veil pins also feature hummingbirds. Caren also hand made her truncated henin, fillet and veil based on period art.

Thats a rather nice kit, reminds me of Ian LaSpina's kit a bit whos doing a similar era with his stuff. Royal Oak Armoury's stuff is rather nice and I never did see pics of that helmet made by him before, or even most of the parts in your kit. I own a few pieces of his armor as well and it's some of the best stuff well up there with the top tier armorers.
Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Well it does give you a rather "scary look " in a good way and 1000% better than what we see in most Hollywood or T.V. historical period productions. ( I mean it looks very dramatic even if this is not what you are using it for ).

Thank you for your friendly comment Jean, I really appreciate it. Happy

I sold lots of my old gear to better afford my new kit - But I will keep this suit for dramatic purposes where historical accuracy is not a factor or prerequisite. Ah, yeah... while I know it's too much of a mixup to be called historical at all, I still love it, and will keep and honour it when the time of it's service has passed. Maybe I should label it the "The Imposing One". Laughing Out Loud

Look forward to a new, and historical accurate kit very much, but I suppose I shouldn't look down on my past efforts and kits. We all evolve, and your comment has filled me with the belief that it's not half bad, as long as I don't claim it to be historical.

Thanks!

@Scott

I am absolutely impressed by your harness.
It looks very elegant, yet efficient and practical. I especially like the legs, they just... fit. Perfectly.
Will need to myself some of equal quality someday, but I'll stick to my current ones till my budget has expanded - they go well with the generally late gothic style I'm aiming for.

- What can change the nature of a man?
Christopher Franklin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are so many great kits here! I'm amazingly jealous! This looks like the place to ask a question hopefully some of you experienced armorers and/or historians might be able to answer...If there's a better thread for this, my apologies, but any insight would be helpful!

I'm currently making a kit based on the Kingsguard armor from Game of Thrones. I'm coming along pretty well with it, however I'm stuck on the spaulders. I'm working my way up to steel for a historically accurate kit to coincide with my studies of German Longsword fencing, but for now, I'm mostly using PVC with Bondo.

Obviously, production designers take inspiration from all over the map when designing for fantasy films and TV, but I'm curious: is there any historical precedent for THIS type of spaulder? I haven't come across this seemingly simplistic cup-and-flange design)... If there ARE real world examples of something like this, are there any patterns or tips one might have in creating these? Specifically getting the correct size for one's shoulders, as well as the best method for making/attaching the flanged/ridged section of the cup...

And so I'm not just running in and asking for help, here's some images of my very first kit inspired by the Nights Watch - it's mostly cobbled together armor (cuirass, spaulders and bracers) that I modified/aged and homemade embellishments (the gambeson, cloak, and other minor details).

Full kit:

Details on the aging I did on the homemade gambeson and spaulders:

My Cold Steel Long Sword (with custom cord-wrapped hilt - which I learned to do from this site!) and a leather sword harness I built for it:

I recently decided that the rust/aging I did on the bracers was a little much, so i redid them using steel wool and ink from a fountain pen:
[/img]
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
W. Scott Brown wrote:

]

[b].

Really nice kit!! Awesome!

But isn't a Type XVI a little bit late for a 1390 persona?

Armourer-Artist-Blacksmith
www.magisterarmorum.com

Pinterest albums to almost all existing XIVth century armour.

Pinterest albums on almost all existing XVth century Italian armour.
Dean Collard

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been wanting to post here for ages, but always held off wanting to make "one last change". Recently, I realised that if I kept doing this, I'd never post anything. So here's my 1340's - 1350's Harness:

For Edward, The Black Prince, Saint George... and CAKE!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dean and Scott’s kits bookend my favorite period in armour development.

I’d be proud to own either (or both!). Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
W. Scott Brown

PostPosted: Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: !         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind comments. Jeffrey Hildebrandt at Royal Oak Armory deserves high praise for this harness, he is a wonderful armorer and great to work with.

Quote:

Really nice kit!! Awesome!

But isn't a Type XVI a little bit late for a 1390 persona?

An estute observation, and you are quite correct! I originally purchased the sword to go with an earlier impression, but after handling it this sword quickly became the favorite of my collection due to it's versatility and style. I am loathe to part with it if I can find even the most flimsy of justifications!
W. Scott Brown

PostPosted: Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Butchee wrote:
I am finally done with my handmade maille! Here is my late 1100's Knights Hospitaller outfit, I am very happy with the way everything looks.

The shield and surcoat are also handmade.

[/url]

An impressive amount of perseverance and hard work went into this kit, your happiness is well deserved David.

Isak Krogh

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a 14th century samurai kit I have made a couple of years ago. The Dou is the part I started with and the odoshi is a bit sparse on it..

Attachment: 46.96 KB
Japansk rustning och båge.JPG

Attachment: 152.33 KB
[ Download ]
Isak Krogh

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is also maille and a helmet I have made. I recently tailored my butted hauberk and coif as practice for a riveted pice I'm working on.

Attachment: 143.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 179.63 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 167.23 KB
[ Download ]
William P

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isak Krogh wrote:
Here is a 14th century samurai kit I have made a couple of years ago. The Dou is the part I started with and the odoshi is a bit sparse on it..

that really is great Happy bravo

it'svery rare i see that muuch older styles of japanese armour being made, so this is quite a treat
Tobias Capwell

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome!! You've got to be the only Swedish samurai... :-D
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my full kit from Merctailor, Allen is still making the mitten gauntlet. The sneaker doesn't fit in the picture at all but I have yet acquired a medieval footware.

Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first-half-of-the-14th century kit. Taken on a cool, rainy day outside the Sherwood Forest Faire (the cloak ended up serving its authentic purpose of warmth and protection from the elements--and really made me appreciate the open-at-the-side construction). The photo for some reason makes the colors look quite a bit more vibrant than they do in real life.

Tunic and cloak are based off the Bocksten Man find. The hood is loosely based on some of the London finds. All the fabric parts are made by me.

Attachment: 216.25 KB
14th-c-kit (407x640).jpg

Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,

Very nicely done. Good to see you've got the basic lines and proportions right. So many get that wrong.

It easy to by wowed by flamboyant bling; but simple kit done well is always far more impressive to me.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,

Very well done. Glennan is right getting the look properly done is a great accomplishment. Nice job!

RPM
John Wills

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Showing off my new Wollaston helmet with the full kit.

Attachment: 90.7 KB
Wollaston hat 02.jpg

grim guðplega, ær we gofol syllon!
Tobias Capwell

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Wills wrote:
Showing off my new Wollaston helmet with the full kit.

Wow. Stunning!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 83 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: