Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Jamie Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall ,

Yes they are English style gauntlets. The V's on the back of the hand plate were put on to match up with the arms and legs. I really like. Easy to move in and lighter then my old plate mitts. I'm proberbly going to add a mail standard from Capapie at a later date due to cost and also having another Harness nearly finished that Ive been waiting quite a while for , for my early 14th Century Kit. I doint have plans for voiders at the moment as I want to keep the weight down.

Here's my early 14th kit at the moment. I have Splint Arms , Legs and Gauntlets coming to finish my take of John de warenne for the Swords Of Mercia Group. . Also my soft kit but Ive an upgraded hat/head piece in the making as well.

David Clark

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua McGee wrote:
Thank you Kuo, the same is true of your kit. Would you say that the all best stuff mail is pretty decent for the price? It looks good in your picture.

I have my mail from all best stuff and really like it. It was very affordable.
Andrej Pfeiffer-Perkuhn

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: New Kit, German Handgunner around 1475         Reply with quote

Hi everybody;

my new kit as a handgonner:

picture by Andreas Vollborn-Rahn

The Jacket with the funny seargent stripes on the arm are mandatory for members of the troops the city of Frankfurt send to Neuss in 1474. These aren't rank insignias.

The Handgonne is a replica of a piece found in 1871 in Juodkrantė in Lithuania (then german Schwarzort) and was shaped from full material, not casted. It was made by Uwe Jahn and her sisters are still available.

More pictures and the sources you can find here: http://www.geschichtsfenster.de/angebot/darst...nschuetze/
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice kit, Andrej - and I envy your handgun.
Here´s one of my kits - end of 16th century civilian costume. Hosen and doublet is based on clothes worn by Nils Sture, hat based on surviving example from Germany, leather jerkin is based on another surviving piece, now in London, with some alternations - all patterns were taken from Janet Arnold´s marvelous Patterns of Fashion, 1560-1620.
Materials used: wool, silk and linen for hosen; wool and linen for doublet (the original was made from soft leather), wool for socks, leather and linen for jerkin, and silk velvet & linen for hat.
The whole costume (except for shoes, which will be replaced anyway, and tin buttons) was made by me at the beginning of this year.
South German one-handed sword and dagger that I usually wear with this costume is unfortunately not shown here.

Attachment: 56.45 KB
P1110340.JPG

Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love that handgunner kit Andrej. I also envy your gun ...
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Clark wrote:

I have my mail from all best stuff and really like it. It was very affordable.

Hey David, very nice early kit. Your allbeststuff mail looks pretty good in that picture. Did you have to do any tailoring or fitting?
Karl Edgar

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New gambeson.

Handswen, all linen (including the padding) in the style of Charles de Bloi. It's little to big around my upper arms, but as I split all the seams in my last one I wanted a little more room.

Its not meant to be under armor, although I will probably make hardened leather parts based on english and flemish finds. Ignore the anacronistic iron age boots Wink

The gambesons album on FB: https://www.facebook.com/looot/media_set?set=a.10206991495403203.1073741838.1153856848&type=3
Tobias Gutenberg

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my 15th century kit

David Clark

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Kuo Xie"]
David Clark wrote:

Hey David, very nice early kit. Your allbeststuff mail looks pretty good in that picture. Did you have to do any tailoring or fitting?

They did some minor tailoring around the arms at no additional charge. I trimmed a good bit of the skirt to make it a byrnie. It fits me very well and I have not needed any additional tailoring.
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all. Some nice kits.

I got around to finishing the heat blueing last week and sorting out the mail sleeves.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also off to the US next week to joust in an FMJ style joust so had some equipment made for that style. Not overly historical but rather for a modern sport joust. Had a tiltbuff, gridded grandguard and helmet made for it. The rest of the armour is my historical harness. Yes, I'm wearing motorbike leathers. Modern sport joust.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Kryštof Šámal

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello!

This is my kit:

Swiss halberdier in 1470s.
Jack is made of 8-14 layers of cloth (depends on the exact place - weaker inside joints, thicker on more exposed areas).
Inscription on the helmet is "Noli timere ego protector tuus sum", and comes from the Bible (Genesis 15-1).

The photograph is not really up to date, some things have changed (like the hose) but it still shows the important features very well.

Future plans:
Chainmail shirt and neck protection
Some kind of softer arming doublet
elbows
new gauntlets
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well here's mine - a hodgepodge of gear that had the intention of being late-14th/early-15th C. Possibly Italian, but the haubergeon I initially got is too small/tight to fit over the arming jacket. Anyway, for the record the kit consists of : ArmStreet arm and leg harnesses in 16g. mild steel; bascinet, gauntlets and breastplate are Indian made affairs - all probably about 18g.; although the gauntlets seem pretty sturdy. I added the butted mail aventail using a tutorial from this very site. I feel happy as this was my first attempt,. I am aware it should go up higher on the sides, but I used the vervelles already installed on the helmet. The Churburg #13 style breastplate is actually quite nice - besides the flimsy cosmetic brass bands; it's supposed to be 16g. Proper footwear needs to be added as well as padded chausses. The sword is a Windlass falchion, and the dagger another Indian job with the sheath dyed black to match the rest of the kit. The dagger is hung by a method which I found on this website again. I hope to replace the bascinet with a more "proper" one in the future. Anyway, this is my very first attempt and just got into this in the last several months. That said, I've always been into military history all my life, and like many others have a passion for the Medieval period in particular. Comments and critiques are welcomed. Merry Christmas!

Attachment: 97.99 KB
ma2.jpg

Attachment: 83.09 KB
ma1.jpg

Attachment: 72.08 KB
ma3.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dean Motoyama wrote:
Well here's mine - a hodgepodge of gear that had the intention of being late-14th/early-15th C. Possibly Italian, but the haubergeon I initially got is too small/tight to fit over the arming jacket. Anyway, for the record the kit consists of : ArmStreet arm and leg harnesses in 16g. mild steel; bascinet, gauntlets and breastplate are Indian made affairs - all probably about 18g.; although the gauntlets seem pretty sturdy. I added the butted mail aventail using a tutorial from this very site. I feel happy as this was my first attempt,. I am aware it should go up higher on the sides, but I used the vervelles already installed on the helmet. The Churburg #13 style breastplate is actually quite nice - besides the flimsy cosmetic brass bands; it's supposed to be 16g. Proper footwear needs to be added as well as padded chausses. The sword is a Windlass falchion, and the dagger another Indian job with the sheath dyed black to match the rest of the kit. The dagger is hung by a method which I found on this website again. I hope to replace the bascinet with a more "proper" one in the future. Anyway, this is my very first attempt and just got into this in the last several months. That said, I've always been into military history all my life, and like many others have a passion for the Medieval period in particular. Comments and critiques are welcomed. Merry Christmas!

Well, it does look good to me at first glance, and I'm not a detail/period nazi who will spot minor non-historical anachronistic stuff.

Even a kit coming from different sources might reflect what a poorer knight or mercenary might have collected from the battlefield or bought at separate times rather than having an expensive kit custom made.

Period plausibility even with parts of kit that we believe are maybe up to 50 years apart if some parts of the kit where from older periods or kit taken from a city militia armoury that stored armour from even a few centuries before ?

A rich noble might only wear the most recent and fashionable kit, unless they where older and very conservative and didn't want " The Newfangled Stuff " currently in fashion ??? A poorer Knight would take what he could find, win a tournament, buy, steal or borrow. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Jean, for your kind and thoughtful comments. I may someday replace the breastplate, bascinet and gauntlets and go for a early-mid-15th C. look. A breastplate with integral faulds, Mitten gauntlets and great bascinet or early sallet. Well, not for a while as I have to build up my funds again Happy Merry Christmas! Dean

P.S. Here's an image of how I had wanted it to look - it's on a stand I built using PVC tubing Happy

Attachment: 117.97 KB
army.jpg

Collin D

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dean, your kit is a few decades after my interest wears down so I can't comment on much of it, but one thing that I will suggest is a quilted liner for the aventail (may as well bring it to line the bascinet at that point, too!): it's a small, easy (well, I suppose that depends on if you can sew) addition that really helps with achieving a historical silhouette.
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the critique, Colin! Much appreciate. There is actually a padding under the aventail - only thing is I kept cutting it down and now it's about an inch or two short of the edge of the mail Happy Hence the appearance of it being without one. I will see about fixing it in the future. Point well taken though. BTW, speaking of padding, I am currently searching for a suitable - not too thick - pair of padded chausses. I think adding that should make walking around in the leg harness more comfortable. The addition of the arming jacket really helped with the arm harness - particularly the upper cannon/rerebrace. Again, thanks for the comments and critique, Colin! Wishing you a Happy 2016! Dean
Collin D

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, it's after my period, but I'm not sure that gamboissed chausses are appropriate for that late. I'm also not sure what you're wearing now, but thick wool hose might be enough to make them more comfortable. Depending on where they're uncomfortable, Ian LaSpina did a wonderful video on his Knygt Errant Youtube channel on a sort of padded girdle to attach the leg harness to, so if it's around where they're pointed that would certainly be worth a watch.
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the good counsel again, Collin. I've seen all of Ian's excellent videos. My leg and arm harnesses aren't that well-fitted, so wondered if lightly padded chausses might help the leg harness feel more secure on my legs. Oh, and I'm only wearing cotton trousers as a stand-in in the photo. As this is my first attempt - I only saw the advice to acquire good under garments before getting armor proper. I'm doing things somewhat backwards. Happy New Year!
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Current state of my harness         Reply with quote

Every few years, I feel compelled to post an "update" of sorts on this thread, depicting the current state of my main harness:

Attachment: 189.21 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 194.51 KB
[ Download ]

Non Concedo

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 91 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: