English Bill by Stefhen of Hessian Iron Works
Hello all. Finally got 'mah billhook finished and mounted.

First of all, I'd like to thank Stefhan of Hessian Iron Works (for his excellent work. He exceeded my expectations and he did it fast! He was great to work with, and I would, and am, doing business with him in the future.

It's mounted on an octagonal ash pole that I shaved down from square by hand, and finished with the linseed treatment. The head weighs just under 3 pounds and was forged by Stean out of, (I think) a plow disc, which is roughly 1080 steel. It's as sturdy as a rock, and I certainly wouldn't want to be on the other end of it.

The length was determined according to George Silver's "Perfect Length":

To know the perfect length of your short staff, or half pike, forest bill, partisan, or glaive, or such like weapons of vantage and perfect lengths, you shall stand upright, holding the staff upright close by your body, with your left hand, reaching with your right hand your staff as high as you can, and then allow to that length a space to set both your hands, when you come to fight, wherein you may conveniently strike, thrust, and ward, & that is the just length to be made according to your stature. And this note, that these lengths will commonly fall out to be eight or nine foot long,

Mine is just under 9 feet, but I'm thinking of shortening it slightly to account for the head. Silver never mentions whether the perfect length is just that of the shaft, or includes the head as well.

Even so, it is easily wieldable, and quite lively.

Anyhow, it fits in with my English kit.

Last edited by Corey D. Sullivan on Mon 02 Jun, 2008 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beautiful weapon. While it's well within the historical range of length for bills, I'm not sure it's exactly what Silver had in mind. Judging by the shape of the head and the weight, I'd say the weapon's closer to Sliver's black bill than his forest bill. We don't have a lot to go on, but Paul Wagner's research identifies the forest bill as a specific and peculiar design. For black bills for the field, Silver recommended a length of five or six feet. Smythe said the same, but he also wrote about longer, lighter halberds designed for defending the shot, presumably in looser formation. Your bill may come closest to that description. I'd say by A&A English bill does.
That is a great looking bill you have there Corey. Does Stefhan have a website? It oes well with your kit.

Scott
Quote:
Beautiful weapon. While it's well within the historical range of length for bills, I'm not sure it's exactly what Silver had in mind. Judging by the shape of the head and the weight, I'd say the weapon's closer to Sliver's black bill than his forest bill. We don't have a lot to go on, but Paul Wagner's research identifies the forest bill as a specific and peculiar design. For black bills for the field, Silver recommended a length of five or six feet. Smythe said the same, but he also wrote about longer, lighter halberds designed for defending the shot, presumably in looser formation. Your bill may come closest to that description. I'd say by A&A English bill does.

Are there any extant examples of forest bills out there? I've read about them, but never seen one. At any rate, I'll probably knock off a foot or so, to make it a bit more manageable. Perhaps more if it warrants it. It's a little difficult to maneuver indoors at the moment. ;)

Quote:
That is a great looking bill you have there Corey. Does Stefhan have a website? It oes well with your kit.

Scott

I thought I had put it up, but I guess I got it wrong. He only has a blog at the moment, but he's very open toward's questions and commissions. Here:

http://hessenironworks.blogspot.com/

Email: [url]hesseniron@gmail.com[/url]
The section in Paul's book says there are a few. There's even on in Switzerland, oddly enough. I can't find any pictures online. George Snook's book on polearms includes a silhouette of what Paul would call a Welsh hook, but identifies it as a guisarme.
I have one picture of what was identified as a "Welsh hook", but it looks very much like a farm implement. Even more so then the bill.

Anyhow, I knocked 16" off the haft of my bill, and it's much more agile now.

Here's a pic to show scale:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: