Matthew Paris sword
I wanted to share with you guys my latest comission. Many of you may be familiar with the image of the kneeling knight c. 1250 from one of Matthew Paris's manuscripts.
[ Linked Image ]
A member of this forum had always wanted a replica of the knight's sword and commissioned me to re-create it by modifying another sword. Here is the sword I began with. http://deltin.net/2132.htm
The original sword was extremely blade heavy...in addition, the new pommel was going to be taller than the original, so the decision was made to create new blade shoulders a little further down the blade and to thus extend the tang. The cross was modified to fit the drawing and the pommel was created to best fit both the drawing and to better balance the blade. The original balance point was 6.75 inches down the blade. With the re-shouldering and new pommel it was changed to a much more maneuverable 4.5 in. The blade also was sharpened from the dull Del Tin edge to a nice sharp apple-seed edge, which deals with Milk Jugs most effectively ;)
Finally everything was wedged and hot peened as Albion does and the grip with campaign-worn brown wrap was installed.

The completed project.
[ Linked Image ]
And a closeup of the hilt.
[ Linked Image ]
Let me know what you guys think,
Dan

Last edited by Dan Dickinson on Thu 29 May, 2008 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
That looks great Dan. What are the new modified stats for the whole sword now that it is done?

Scott
Well, the old stats were
3.08 lbs
Blade length 34 9/16"
Overall length 41 3/8"
POB ~7in
COP - Undetermined.

New Stats,
Weight: TBD.....I have my scales packed away....don't have a final weight yet.
Blade Length: 32.75
Overall Length: 40"
POB: 4 3/8 in
COP: 21.5
I'm not the world's best photographer, but here are a few more.
First a shot of the old girl standing.
[ Linked Image ]
Then her reclining
[ Linked Image ]
Then another one reclining...this time showing the blended peen...kind hard to see, but that's the point isn't it?
[ Linked Image ]
and finally a couple in hand.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Dan
Well, I surprised myself today, when I was finally able to weigh the completed piece. Due to the massive pommel requested, it ended up being 5 onces heavier than before, with a final weight of 3 lbs 5.4 oz...something i never would have guessed from just picking it up. I guess it just goes to show handling is really about mass distribution....not just mass.
Dan
Dan,

Without feeling the sword in hand, it's hard to know how you did for balanace, but aesthetically speaking, it looks like a gorgeous sword. Nice work.
Dan, I really love the design! I've been (anxiously) awaiting Albion's Chevalier, and if it's anything like what you've come up with it should be fantastic. I'm sure with a weight like that its a fantastic cutter. You've truly created a stunning tribute to a most splendid type :)
This is a blade that just feels like it wants to destroy shields and armor. Like some have said of the St. Maurice (Turin) this one handles best when you finger the cross.....and it has the weight behind a blow to really pack a punch.
Dan

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: