Something Custom from A&A
Got this about a week ago.

Don't have good pictures and don't have the time to do a good review right now...so consider this a teaser. :eek:

The new sword is shown with a GBS for size reference.

Its a nice package and the photos do not do justice to details that went into it. It is hard to capture some of the details on the guard and grip where facets flow into each other. Size wise it is light enough for legit single handed use. The grip/pomel are specifically sized for me to be able to get a good grip when using two hands AND it is stiff enough that I do not feel like I'm overpowering the sword when I do. It started from a sketch of a museum piece then morphed to fit my anatomy and feel a specific way. Craig provided the expertise and advice on what would and would not work to make it a functional reality along the way; a neat process in itself.

Sometimes I think we forget how flexible A&A is, at leat I do. Maybe because they don't make a huge fuss on the website over all the variations they do and the collector community considers them a production maker. Anyway asking them questions can yield surprising results.
Hey Joe,

That's a nice looking sword you have there. It looks like a Lord of Milan blade and cross with a wooden handle and a Type T pommel?

You are right the guys at Arms and Armor are topnotch in every way. They are far more then just an outstanding production shop.
Hey Joe,

I really like that design. Very simple and very businesslike. If I may ask, what inspired it? Just a conglomeration of different ideas, or a specific piece, or what?

The more I see of A&A's work, the more I wish I owned more of their wares. Very nice stuff.

Sincerely,
Re: Something Custom from A&A
Joe Fults wrote:
Got this about a week ago.
Its a nice package and the photos do not do justice to details that went into it. It is hard to capture some of the details on the guard and grip where facets flow into each other. Size wise it is light enough for legit single handed use. The grip/pomel are specifically sized for me to be able to get a good grip when using two hands AND it is stiff enough that I do not feel like I'm overpowering the sword when I do. It started from a sketch of a museum piece then morphed to fit my anatomy and feel a specific way. Craig provided the expertise and advice on what would and would not work to make it a functional reality along the way; a neat process in itself.

Sometimes I think we forget how flexible A&A is, at leat I do. Maybe because they don't make a huge fuss on the website over all the variations they do and the collector community considers them a production maker. Anyway asking them questions can yield surprising results.

That's a lovely arming sword you got there, chief. Beautiful blade profile, and that cross is very sweet.

May she give you a lifetime of enjoyment!
WOW!, I REALLY like that.
The guard and looks like an A&A Lord of Milan sword, but with a substantially ( in MHO) improved grip and pummel. I'm just curious, what made you go with wood as opposed to leather or wire wrapped?
Wonderful sword, Joe .... Congrats !

Arms & Armor are a talented bunch ..... I just luv their custom one-off pieces !
Something about having the only one of its kind really appeals to me !

Great job guys, Mac
Inspiration came from a drawing and several hours chatting at the Bristol Ren Faire with Craig. I gave Craig some ideas and asked him to make the one he thought would be most fun and work the best. We established down turned guard, diamond cross, scent stopper pommely and the versatility for real single or double handed use. From there I trusted Craig to make the pieces work.

If Craig happens by this thread maybe he can give us some insite into his creative process.

As for the wood, I just thought it would be different and interesting.

If things go well I'll try to get some more pics and a review this weekend.
Be Happy to Joe
This project was a real pleasure from start to finish. The customers will often comment on how nice it is to work with particular makers. Well now its my turn to say working with Joe was an excellent experience. He was committed from the start to a collaborative process. We had the basics down in the beginning and then discussed the modifications he was interested in. i.e. blade length, grip length and material, that kind of thing. While the overall was specific enough for one to draw a picture of the piece the details and feel of it were left to me. I strived to give Joe something that would be a sword with multiple capabilities and look good.

This allowed me to chase a certain feel of the sword. Not worry to greatly about exact weight and balance point but concentrate on the presence in the hand and the action of the sword as Joe had described in our conversations. The result was something I was very happy with. It truly feels like a significant weapon in the hand but allows one or two handed use and I have strived to stay in the historical envelope of the feel and dynamics of the piece.

A good example of this was I did not weight the piece until I had it finished. I had the item all togther and had handled it for a day and decided I needed to adjust the blade geometry a bit. If I had weighed the item I probably would have said ok its in the spec and have left it. But I think it came out as a better sword by allowing it to find its own place.

The guard is very close to our Milanese Guard in width, but this one needed to be thicker and less pronounced in the center peak to match the blade and grip. The blade is thicker in the spine then the Milanese has more taper and is longer I believe. The mIlanese is truly a single handed riding sword and this is far more a longsword for fighting. The final result came out quite nicely and I am glad it met Joe's expectations.

Here are some quick details. I will let Joe post the rest in his review.

OL: 42.5"
BL: 34.125"
lbs: 2.8

Best to all and happy to answer any questions.

Craig
Very nice Joe!

I like your choice of giving it a wood grip, it gives the sword an even more unique look. Great job Craig!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: