Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tim May wrote:
Chad, I'll admit to a twinge of jealousy every time I see your Sovereign, the guard and pommel really set it into a different class. The collection looks fantastic, and as one starting a collection yours is a fantastic guide; you understand you can't have everything so each piece you make count. The Armart crusader is another which I have always just loved (and have on occasion spent hours looking at in your gallery muttering curses under my breath :)). The swords are all really exquisite, and a picture of them in scabbards would be great (the ones that have them), just to see the differences in style for each different sword. Thanks for sharing these :).

Tim,
Muttering curses? That's not nice. :)

Interestingly enough, the Armart might be the next one for sale. I'm open to offers if people are interested. :) A new one from Armart with no engraving on the blade, a little engraving on the cross, an inaccurate scabbard and a pommel that looks less elegant than mine will cost over $1150. :!: Mine looks better, has blade engraving, has a much more accurate scabbard, and would be cheaper. :)

I might do a with-scabbard photoshoot for the swords in a few weeks. I've done one for the daggers. Not every sword I have has an accurate scabbard, though. The Sovereign and the Armour Class baskethilt have scabbards that are pretty accurate. The Armart's is accurate (right down to period-esque dyes), but could be slimmer. The Baron and Sempach have Albion Campaign scabbards which could be dressed up to be more accurate. The Edward III and Regent have simple leather sheaths. I can't afford accurate scabbards for all the swords right now.

Here are the daggers with sheaths/scabbards:

[ Linked Image ]
Here's a picture of the whole collection, as I see them everyday, locked away in a cabinet. :) The great helm is downstairs and never seems to make it into these group shots...

Attachment: 48.99 KB
Collection display.jpg

Chad, that's an interesting stand. Where did you acquire it and do you have any other pics of it?

Nathan
Nathan Keysor wrote:
Chad, that's an interesting stand. Where did you acquire it and do you have any other pics of it?

Nathan

Nathan,
The stand is made by Ars-Gladius, maker of crappy stainless steel wallhangers. :) I took the ugly Ars-Gladius logo off the front and replaced it with MRL's crusader plaque. It looks better. :)

It has two semi-circular pieces attached to a base. The semi-circular pieces have slots cut in them where the swords go. I've had to widen a slot or two (thank you, Albion Sovereign :) ) and added one to it.

I bought it from Jason Hill at http://www.brightblades.com/ but any dealer of Ars-Gladius swords could get it for you. It does the trick, but you're limited to the size and placing of the slots they put in unless you want to widen them or add new ones (a pain). Here's a pic from Brightblades:

[ Linked Image ]

Here's an old pic of my collection that shows the stand a little better. Only two items in the pic are still in my collection. Can anyone guess what they are? :)

Attachment: 39.54 KB
collection.jpg

Is the great helm one of them?

I was tempted to say the stand and the plaque!
Hmmm... the Albion Crecy and the A&A dagger with bronze fittings ?
Chad,

Thanks for the pics. I may have to make a wall mount version of that if my collection gets too much bigger. When I was a teenager I thought those Art-Gladius swords were the top of the line. I ended up spending all the money I had saved for a year on one of them. Now it's in my garage because it's not fit to display with my Albions. Oh well....
Christopher and Hugo,
You're each half correct. :) The MRL great helm is still here and the A&A dagger (with different cross, scabbard, and grip cover) is as well. I didn't count the stand and plaque, but I guess I could give Christopher points for those. :)

I've never owned an Albion Crecy, though I did have one on order at one point. :D I changed the order to the Mercenary, then later sold the Mercenary and bought the Sempach.

Here's what is in that pic:

Back row (left to right):
Tinker Swedish (or Danish) longsword
Del Tin 2142
Chen Pappenheimer
Del Tin 5160 (customized by Art Elwell)
Tinker Type XVIII
Tinker Rondel Dagger

Front Row (left to right):
McRae Sgian Dubh
Vince Evans Dirk
Del Tin 2150 customized by Art Elwell
A&A Henry V with bronze fittings
Tinker Dirk
A&A Classic Dagger with bronze fittings

On the floor:
MRL Burgonet with falling buffe
MRL Great Helm
Del Tin 3152 warhammer

These old items and others can be seen here.
Chad Arnow wrote:

These old items and others can be seen here.

Chad,
Is that Del Tin 2140 a copy of the sword in the Met (aka Dracula Sword)? I've always wanted a replica of that one. I'm hoping Albion does a Museum Line version someday. Do you hear me, Peter!? :D
Nathan Keysor wrote:
Is that Del Tin 2140 a copy of the sword in the Met (aka Dracula Sword)? I've always wanted a replica of that one. I'm hoping Albion does a Museum Line version someday. Do you hear me, Peter!? :D

Yeah, that is Del Tin's version of the met sword.

Check out the one by Arms & Armor: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/heritage002.html

(Probably better to discuss this in its own topic if you'd like to...)
Thanks, Nathan. I never noticed that on the Arms and Armour site before. I'm scared to ask how much they want for it. I took your advice and started a new topic.
Here's an updated pic, showing the whole collection, as of October 2009.

Since I've dragged everything out, I'll also humor the request above for a pic of the swords with scabbards in a little while.

Attachment: 42.24 KB
Collection10-09.jpg

Tim May wrote:
The swords are all really exquisite, and a picture of them in scabbards would be great (the ones that have them), just to see the differences in style for each different sword. Thanks for sharing these :).

Just for you, Tim. :)

Three of the swords have only simple leather transport sheaths. I've been mulling trying to make wood/leather scabbards for them, but time and money are both issues.

Of the four with scabbards, two are Albion Campaign Scabbards. The basket-hilt has a scabbard by Art Elwell. The Sovereign has a scabbard by Aaron Schnatterly and Kevin Iseli.

Attachment: 26.49 KB
Sword Scabb1.jpg

Attachment: 22.03 KB
Sword Scabb2.jpg

Attachment: 33.76 KB
Sword Scabb3.jpg

Attachment: 30.48 KB
Sword Scabb4.jpg

Some final photos.

I've been kind of constructing groups of weapons and armour that fit each other in terms of time period and often locale. If I put together a harness, I'd likely grab the weapons in the groups.

Attachment: 26.44 KB
11cent2.jpg
A late Viking - Early Norman group (Albion Gaddhjalt, Tod's Stuff Sax)

Attachment: 41.5 KB
13cent1.jpg
A late 13th century group (Albion Baron, Tod's Stuff quillion dagger, A&A Iberian mace)

Attachment: 42.16 KB
14cent1.jpg
An early 14th century group (Albion Sovereign, A&A quillion dagger, MRL great helm).

Attachment: 36.18 KB
14cent2.jpg
A late 14th century group (Albion Sempach, Tod's Stuff rondel, Lewis Moore gauntlets)

Attachment: 17.87 KB
15cent1.jpg
A 15th century group (Albion Regent, Arma Bohemia ballock)

Attachment: 86.5 KB
18cent1.jpg
An 18th century Scottish group (Armour Class basket hilt, Arma Bohemia sgian achles, Tod's Stuff dirk)

Attachment: 74.98 KB
18cent2.jpg
More of the Scottish group.
Hey Chad- I really like what you have done here. The photos are great and the arms pairings are tasteful and blend together so well.

Jeremy
Great photos of your collection, Chad! I'm very much impressed with your home display racks and case as well. It's interesting to see what colectors use as display devices, and yours seem to be musem quality. I especially enoy your 14th c. set, as I have the sister sword to your Sovereign (the only other one Albion had made with all bronze fittings).

Thanks for sharing!!
Very nice photos Chad! I especially like the "set" pictures. I wish I could arrange my wall at home with the swords and weapons I own but not enough room and with kids around you really don't want too many pointy ends everywhere...

I have trouble finding a good solution to mount swords on the wall, anyone got any suggestions?

/Eric
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hey Chad- I really like what you have done here. The photos are great and the arms pairings are tasteful and blend together so well.

Jeremy

Thanks! It was kind of interesting to photograph the groups. I bought all the pieces separately at various times and that was the first time I'd seen some groups together. :)

Carl Croushore wrote:
Great photos of your collection, Chad! I'm very much impressed with your home display racks and case as well. It's interesting to see what colectors use as display devices, and yours seem to be musem quality. I especially enoy your 14th c. set, as I have the sister sword to your Sovereign (the only other one Albion had made with all bronze fittings).

Thanks for sharing!!

Well, there's at least 3 Sovereigns I know of with all-bronze hilts (yours, mine, and another forumite's). :) I wouldn't call the displays museum quality (though I appreciate the kind words). It's just a wall-hanger floor stand in a china cabinet. :)
Eric Hejdström wrote:
Very nice photos Chad! I especially like the "set" pictures. I wish I could arrange my wall at home with the swords and weapons I own but not enough room and with kids around you really don't want too many pointy ends everywhere...

I have trouble finding a good solution to mount swords on the wall, anyone got any suggestions?

/Eric

I know how that goes. I have a toddler who's curious. So, I installed a lock on the cabinet. That should keep him out until toward his teens. :)

As for wall-mounting, I used to do that. I used simple L-shaped hooks from the hardware store that screwed into the wall. Put one on either side of the blade at the guard and hang the sword by the guard.
Thanks for the reply Chad! I've done that in the past. It makes your wall look like swiss cheese... But Maybe that's the only way to do it simple. I had an idea of making a wooden disc to put in the middle and have the swords in a circle around it. But I don't have a wall big enough in the apartment! Fortunately I have a very understanding wife...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: