Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Does anyone know an Armourer who can make this? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know an Armourer who can make this?         Reply with quote

HI all.

Who knows somebody who could make me a Kazaghand armoured shirt in a mid-to-late 14th C. kaftan cut?

It looks quite difficult, but I'm sure somebody here will know someone who can do it. Take a look, this stuff is awesome. I've read that earlier versions saved Saladin's life from assassination attempts a couple times. He apparently wore one at all times.

I'd really appreciate a referral to someone who can recreate this for me.

Thanks in advance you guys!

Attachment: 47.27 KB
541529_461402023884394_1084437454_n.jpg

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Had similar thoughts myself. I don't know anybody who makes one. But anybody who makes a suitable gambeson and does rivetted mail might be able to do it. Anybody who does good gambesons and is willing to work with mail might be able to build one, given a suitable kaftan as outer shell.

I was considering DIY, either starting with a gambeson like this one, or maybe a padded Uzbek chapan, or if I decided to go unpadded, or self-pad, maybe the right kind of Chinese robe (some knee-length candidates might be found on ebay by searching for "Shaolin robe" or similar).

Mail would either be from a large shirt cut and sewn on or from a large sheet of rivetted mail (or maybe lightweight stainless mail from Ringmesh or similar?). Stainless or galvanised, to reduce rusting if I sweat a lot into it.

DIY might be possible for about $500 or so at a minimum, plus time. Need to see the possibility of time coming up before it's worthwhile getting serious about it. Or, if you find a good maker, let me know.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would vote for sheets of ringmesh for this project. It's welded, so it wouldn't catch the fabric, stainless so you could wash the garment, it's lighter than historic mail, but at least as protective, and you wouldn't see it anyway.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, you guys.

I've asked the guys I have dealt with before, and will wait to see if they're keen to tackle it. I was hoping to find someone who had experience possibly?

I like that ring mesh idea. Awesome. Thanks Matthew! I can see this being heavy. I intended it for under-armour as well...

Well, Timo... I have a "Persian Fitted Kaftan" pattern if you want one, mate. I also have examples of Mamluk Dynasty silk patterns if that's useful. It may be you're not after a Mamluk or Ayyubid one, though.

I'll definitely tell you if I find a good maker. I was thinking Steel Mastery, because they make all the necessary component parts and seem to have access to pretty much any fabric there is. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again! Keep the ideas coming if you come up with anything else!

अजयखड्गधारी
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a later Ottoman example, see http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26527
"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the orange! Happy I was think of a patterned bronze or blue. Orange is good too.

Thanks for showing me that, Timo!

अजयखड्गधारी

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Does anyone know an Armourer who can make this?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic