Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

This is my jousting ecranche:

Plenty of curve. :)
The silver bits consist of real silver leaf. I'm planning on making a nice parade ecranche covered in gold leaf this winter. :)
Mikael, Ben, and Sjors, it seems to me that you Northen Europeans have a penchant for fantastic looking shields.
I might have to get on with making my own with a saint on it or some such rather than just heraldry.
Awesome.
shield in progress with raised gesso work
Hi everyone. I've come to the forum via an interest in medieval art materials and techniques. I'm currently making a shield with raised gesso work and am following with interest any posts on the technical aspects of using leather and gesso in various combinations to achieve raised decoration. At present the 15th century pavise forum seems most useful, but if anyone can point me in the direction of other useful info I'll be very grateful.

This is the first time I've done raised work on this scale, and it should probably have more layers of gesso, because after gilding it looks a lot flatter then I'd like.

Attachment: 48.14 KB
IMG_0686.jpg
after gilding, before painting

Attachment: 46.68 KB
IMG_0682.jpg
before gilding
Awesome work!
Is that actual gold gilding? Or just gold coloured paint?
I updated my plank shield a little to use it for and Anglo Saxon demo at the National Geographic Museum.

Here is my shield. I've been meaning to get a pic of it for some time now...

Attachment: 41.73 KB
blackmarch corner.jpg

If you follow the "Yushman Project" thread, you probably know these two winged shield:

* The Zulfiquar:
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

** The Star-shield:
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

and The Star-shield in battle (in that time - still without the carrying straps):
[ Linked Image ]
home made targe
[ Linked Image ]

This was the second targe I made, it was for historical fencing so was made with that rather than accuracy in mind. I was also going for the weight of historical examples. Many people were making nice light targets which I feel changes the options for the fencer and is detrimental to interpretation.
I used a raw fallow deer hide for a backing. The hide was a gift but the person had kept it in an outhouse, as soon as I moved into a warm house the bugs hatched! The targe now sits in my garden. I have had a huge problem getting decent tacks which has stopped me from making more targes though they are fun to make.
shield
@ Boris, first of all, I love the shield. But may I ask where you got your helmet?

Best regards,
Sander
I made this helmet in the summer of 2007 and it was my third helmet ever.

Nothing special - conical with segmented construction

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

A lot of mistakes of course, due to several factors - less knowledge, less skills, less tools. Now, after several events, it looks much more battle-weary than on the picture.
I am gonna to retire this helmet as soon as I get my new turban one.
Here's my kite, made a couple summers ago, its stood up to everything I've thrown at it. Decided on a nontraditional paint job just cause.

Attachment: 110.83 KB
IMG_5480.JPG

Richard, is that an A&A Hungarian Axe mounted upside down in the picture?
Why yes is it, just arrived 3 hours ago in fact. Sadly it is snowing outside right now so I am unable to play with it until it clears up.
My combat heater. made 2 years ago and has been well used.

This is my XII century shield... having a thickness of 7 mm and weighs 1.20kg

[ Linked Image ]
in this photo is not very well appreciated but the shield can be their size, 66.3 "high and 18.7" at its widest
[ Linked Image ]
Luis, that whole kit looks very nice. Did you make your aketon, or did you purchase it from someone? What type of rings (diameter, gauge, type of metal) are in that haubergeon? Again, looks great!
Luis Armando wrote:
This is my XII century shield... having a thickness of 7 mm and weighs 1.20kg

[ Linked Image ]
in this photo is not very well appreciated but the shield can be their size, 66.3 "high and 18.7" at its widest
[ Linked Image ]

I know this is a shield thread, and your shield is really nice, but I have to second that-- your whole kit is amazing!
@ Luis Armando

Yeah, I just wanted to give you props on how the whole kit is looking too. :P
Joshua McGee wrote:
Luis, that whole kit looks very nice. Did you make your aketon, or did you purchase it from someone? What type of rings (diameter, gauge, type of metal) are in that haubergeon? Again, looks great!

Thanks Joshua, I made the haubergeon, The rings are made of 14 gauge galvanized wire ... with an internal diameter of 9mm
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Page 9 of 13

Jump to: