Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's a cheap Viking-esque shield I got off eBay a few years ago... don't remember who made it.... it's a nice shield, and handles very well, despite not being totally accurate, historically.....

Attachment: 83.57 KB
IMG09p.JPG

Attachment: 42.41 KB
xedit1VEmigrationsword3.JPG

Attachment: 59.41 KB
IMG07p.JPG

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is mine...wonderful shields so far...keep em coming...

Andreas

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My quick and expendable fighting shield, when it was new and had all its paint;

I have a smaller "cavalry" heater as well, and a round shield, which I dont have good pictures of right now...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another Lindsay Targe - the Perth

Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: My Agincourt shields.         Reply with quote

My shields, showing four coats of arms from the Battle of Agincourt - 1415.

The Imperial Eagle shield is that of Jean le Maingre - called 'the Boucicault' Marshal of France - arms argent a double-headed eagle displayed gules armed and membered azure.

The next shield is that of Sir Gilbert Umfraville, a trusted contemporary of Henry V who led the advance English guard. Arms Gules crusilly and a cinqfoil Or;

Third shield is that of French knight John - Lord of Aumont aka 'the Brawler'. He was in the left cavalry wing where he was killed. Arms argent, a chevron bewteen seven martlets gules;

The last shield is that of John Count of Roucy, arms Or a lion rampant azure, armed and langued gules. He fought in the main battle where he was killed. His corpse was later identified by his shortened left arm, the result of an old wound.

regards
Stuart Q

Attachment: 49.92 KB
Agincourt shields.jpg

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andreas Auer wrote:
Here is mine...wonderful shields so far...keep em coming...

Andreas

Nice work, but what is the significance of the bell?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tyrone Mckay

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My covered fighting shield.

Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please....uncover it. WTF?!
Chris
John Facundus

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the heraldic symbolism of a bell was " one who did not fear to announce their arrival either in peace or war" I remember this from some obscure heraldry study I did awhile back, I like that symbol and the idea myself, courage and confidence. V/R John F.

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." Marcus Tulius Cicero
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This shield is unfortunately not mine, but I think it is worth showing.It was made by my friend for my other friend.

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Facundus wrote:

I believe the heraldic symbolism of a bell was " one who did not fear to announce their arrival either in peace or war" I remember this from some obscure heraldry study I did awhile back, I like that symbol and the idea myself, courage and confidence. V/R John F.

right...but one more for my personal taste it´s also a fools or a jesters Bell...for i´m a bit of a jester too :-)

a short explanation: in Austria it is not allowed to carry a personal "coat of arms"since WWII ; so we make ourselves "fantasy-crests" witch reflect our personality...not hist.correct i know...

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
This shield is unfortunately not mine, but I think it is worth showing.It was made by my friend for my other friend.

That is *beautiful*!!!! It is inspirational, even. Wow. Kudos to your friend for his skills!

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heres mine it's 24inches / 71cm in diameter and weighs 13lbs it's made from pine planks inlayed with two oak planks The rim is protected by a 1/8 inch steal rim under the hide and there is some elk skin on the back t help absorb blows

Thom R.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: just in time for the local highland games         Reply with quote

my son finished his first targaid this weekend after a month of working in the shop under dads supervision. its a rough chainsaw cut hickory plank which i took home to the table saw and then to the bandsaw leaving approx 1/2 inch of wood thickness and hence the shape (tree trunk was oval). its about 34 cm x 25 cm. he then found himself a couple pieces of leather for free at the scrap bin at tandy and along with some bits and bobs laying around the shop he put together everything himself. (note for future: 9 year olds tend to use a bit too much glue). there is rabbit fur and a simple cabinet pull on the back. and before cps comes to my door please note that it is a plastic sword Razz

Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well I was going to post my shield but it is so plain compared to everyone elses. And I would feel bad about being shown up by a nine year old. Seriously, I really do like that shield your son made. I think he has a future in it Happy
Thom R.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to to take the time to thank Marcin for those photos.... the third one down is the shield featured in the book Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight which I have stared at for years and it is incredibly well done! awesome work, truly. tr
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darren Tully wrote:
Heres mine it's 24inches / 71cm in diameter and weighs 13lbs it's made from pine planks inlayed with two oak planks The rim is protected by a 1/8 inch steal rim under the hide and there is some elk skin on the back t help absorb blows

Hi Darren, Very nice shield. I was just wondering what you made the grip out of? Is it leather that has been rolled and stitched? I'd like to do a similar one on my steel shield.

Also, this is a question for anybody.....Im doing a 16" buckler out of 3/4" plywood with a steel rim and boss that I will cover both sides with leather , what is the best glue to use for leather to wood? Will a standard wood glue work without discoloring the leather?

Thanks, Jeff
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Kaisla wrote:
Hi Darren, Very nice shield. I was just wondering what you made the grip out of? Is it leather that has been rolled and stitched? I'd like to do a similar one on my steel shield.

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff
thanks for the complememnt, It's just a piece of sturdy but reasonably maluable leather I can give you a wrough plan and a description to work on

1. you need a piece of leather about 10 cm or more longer than the space you want inside the handle this allows for an arch in the handle and two sections to attatch to the shield.

2.Mark out the two sections that you are going to attatch to the shield and in the section between them fold the two edges inwards so they arch and meet along the center of the strip. This will createa thick part to grip with a spine running down the centre for support

3. hold the shape using some tape and mark out were to add holes once this is done open out the leather and make the holes with a leather punch or a hammer and nails

4.fold the handle back into shape and lace it up like a boot with either a leather shoe lace or a nylon boot lace tie it tight and you handle is ready to mount

Heres a wrough diagram to hrlp you visualize it I'll post some close ups later when I get a chance

By the way I forgot to complememnt the others on their shields I have to say I'm really jealous of some of the amazing paint jobs you guys have gong I'd like one myself but I doubth that it would work on my shield because of it's design and styling
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My "knightly" heater shield. 60x60 cm, with suspension based on "edward the confessor"

Attachment: 24.12 KB
edshield.jpg
The original drawing

Attachment: 141.08 KB
Low guard (the one I use for reenactment fighting) (yes, the trim on the hood is sooo last century) [ Download ]

Attachment: 139.11 KB
The suspension [ Download ]

Attachment: 138.21 KB
High guard, for stabbing people in the face. Note that the shield covers the face. [ Download ]

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I thought i'd show one of my projects. The wooden core of this shield was made by Chris Fields which he hand delivered to me halfway between Tampa and Orlando, Florida last fall. I like the way Chris made the blank because he put an extra layer of quarter inch wood over the front of the shield so the bolt heads wouldn't show.

I then took the shield and covered the back side with pig skin and stretched canvas over the front. I then painted my family crest onto the canvas. Next I gave the shield to a friend who makes metal chimney caps and had him put an 18 gauge steel edging around the whole thing. I nailed the whole thing together with brass upholstery tacks. Next I plan to stain the leather backside and mount the straps. I'll post a picture of backside when it's done.

Attachment: 70.39 KB
DSCI0010.JPG

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields
Page 2 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: