Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help... (sword identification) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Wiklund

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Help... (sword identification)         Reply with quote

I found this forum through Google. I inherited a set of two matching swords from my father, and I know almost nothing about them. I know that they were purchased at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire around 1985, and that they have never been sharpened. Due to their size, I do not believe they ever came with scabbards, and they have minimal hand guards. They are approximately 3 1/2 feet long with cherry handles that are approximately 1 1/2 hands long. They have slightly curving blades that flare on one side before ending in a sharp point and appear to be a single sided blade. I can find no maker's marks on them, and know nothing of their value or their quality. Please help...

Respectfully,
-Paul

Attachment: 6.45 KB
P1010046.JPG
Pic 1

Attachment: 11.58 KB
P1010047.JPG
pic 2

Attachment: 16.09 KB
P1010048.JPG
Pic 3
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury, Paul.

In my opinion these are a pair of basic non-functional replicas, loosely resembling Chinese dao (although the intent may have been to model them after European falchions, especially with their riveted scale grips). Renaissance faires are not especially reliable sources of real swords; most items sold there are ahistorical and/or nonfunctional.

I base the above opinion not just on the context in which they were bought but also on the photos you have uploaded. From what I can see the swords don't appear to be of particularly high quality or even a distinctive type. Those aren't the clearest photos, however, so you may want to take a look at our Photography Guide to eke a bit more detail from your shots. I doubt that clearer photos will change my own opinion in this case, but they certainly couldn't hurt. Also, the weights of your swords, along with more precise length measurements, may help us definitively answer your question.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. I welcome any other forum members' opinions, and I hope that you stick around Paul and get to know more about this wonderful field of study. If your father's swords are indeed no more than ren faire "SLO"s ("sword-like objects"), don't let that impact the sentimental value they hold for you. Happy

Cheers,
-Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello. I believe I know exactly what you have there, as I have the same sword sitting in my safe right now. I purchased mine from Museum Replicas Ltd. in 1986 or 1987 for around $90. It was made by Windlass Cutlery in India, and was one of the first Windlass/Indian-made offerings from Museum Replicas, who at that time carried mostly Del Tin/Italian-made blades. I believe it was called an "Eastern Barbarian Sword," and was supposed to be similar to the sword carried by the character "Valeria" in the first Conan movie. In fact, it was one of two swords that Museum Replicas offered that were inspired by the Conan movie. The other was a not-so-accurate version of Conan's Atlantean sword. As with almost all Museum Replica weapons, it was supposed to be "battle-ready," and have a well tempered carbon steel blade. However, being an early Windlass offering, it suffered from the poor fit and finish common to their products at the time. I polished mine up and wrapped the handle with leather, which greatly improved the look of the weapon. I must admit though, of over 30 swords i own, it is one of only a few I've ever seriously considered selling due to it's mediocre quality. Hope this helps.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One new forum member answered by a former lurker! Big Grin Thanks Ryan,
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Paul Wiklund

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Thank you very much         Reply with quote

Well, thank you all for your quick response and astounding knowledge. I had not expected to find an answer so quickly. I believe that I will be selling these swords, as I am just not interested in keeping them. I believe that I am going to list them for sale on the other forum and see if there are any takers. My wife doesn't really want swords around, and I am ambivalent about them. If you know of anyone interested in them, please direct them over to the other forum. Thank you. Happy

-Paul Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help... (sword identification)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic