Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is true, I was there when he was found. I posted the news on a private forum that I am a member of.

I am sure Howard and Amy will post the news asap. I am sure they are greiving over this as well as the Albion crew and myself. Give them time, it's a very difficult time for everyone involved.

Regards,

John
With Sympathy
My deepest condolences to Jody and his family. You will be missed, my friend. The world has lost a great visionary and artist. :(
Jody Samson
Jody Samson
Artist - Swordmaker - Knifemaker - Friend
November 4, 1946 - December 27, 2008

It is with the deepest regret that we announce the passing of legendary swordmaker, Jody Samson, on Saturday, December 27, in his shop in New Glarus, Wisconsin. Jody was a true friend, a multi-talented artist, and one of the most generous people you could ever meet. He will be deeply missed.

[ Linked Image ]

Our thoughts and prayers are with his many other friends around the world.

Howy
Very sad news. If we'd only had his work from Conan I think he would have been held in high regard. As it turned out there was much more, not just his output, but as an inspiration to others.

My condolences to Jody's friends and family

Darrin.

Last edited by Darrin Hughes on Mon 29 Dec, 2008 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Indeed he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

All the best,
Mike
John Gage wrote:
It is true, I was there when he was found. I posted the news on a private forum that I am a member of.

I am sure Howard and Amy will post the news asap. I am sure they are greiving over this as well as the Albion crew and myself. Give them time, it's a very difficult time for everyone involved.

Regards,

John

That must have been very hard for you and everyone else, words fail and I wish I could say something that could help but there never is much one can do except to give support and hope it helps a little.
Sad news indeed. I own two JS swords. When you handle them they have that special something that is so hard to define. Clearly I can feel the joy and love he had for his craft when I pick up these blades. tr
i have none of the details but it was not Christmas day, some time before that I think

I am very sorry for the loss
This is very sad. I always considered Jody Samson a great inspiration, being both a marvelous artist and one of the few who specialized in making high quality fantasy swords. With his passing this world is rendered a poorer, less fantastic place.
My sincere condolences to his friends and family. :(
My family offers our deepest sympathy to Jody Samson's family and friends during this difficult time. You are remembered in our prayers.
My condolances as well. When a great artist and human being dies it is a sad day for us all and makes all our lives and experiences in this world less bright. Truly sad news.

Bryce Felperin
R. I. P.
How very very sad. The news has left a shadow over our hearts. I do not own one of his pieces, but I always thought that there something comforting about his work (if such could be said about a sword); Maybe it was that fantastic element that made you remember those hazy fantasy days when the world was young and you were young. If ever there was a Riddle of Steel he had found the answer.
Our prayers are with his friends and family.

May he walk into the Land of Shadow under an arch of angelic blades.
Prayers for the Samson family indeed.
My condolances to Jody's family, the folks at Albion, and all of his friends around the world. It's hard to loose a freind and loved one. And there's very little one can say to ease the pain, but may we all find peace and fond memories when we think of him. Salut!
My deepest and most profound condolensces to the Samson family and all at Albion. What a huge loss for us all. His art will live on but he will be missed. So very sad...

Respectfully, Rusty Knorr
Very sad. My deepest condolances to Jody's family. He was my first and greatest inspiration for making blades.

Nick.
I read this topic last evening and was completely dumbstruck.

While I was not lucky enough to say that I knew Jody as a personal friend, I can tell you that I was very lucky to have met him several times.

When I first met him, it was many, many years ago at a Renaissance Faire here in California. He was happy, vibrant, outgoing, and extroverted! He was on his turf and havin' a good time! It seemed as though everybody knew him there and loved him. I was introduced to him, shook his hand, and we had a quick conversation. I admit to thinking after how cool it was to meet the guy who had so much impact on the weapons we recognize from the movies. I made sure to run into him again that weekend... and again on other weekends. It looked as though everybody else did the same. He seemed to always be surrounded by fun-loving people those weekends!

Many years later, I met him in New Glarus while visiting the folks at Albion. His demeanor was different than our first meeting. He was older, more settled, and much more reserved than would be found at the party atmosphere of the Ren Faire. Though less gregarious, he was still the friendly, inviting, and quick-to-share man I had met more than a decade earlier.

I went to New Glarus a few more times and was fortunate to have spent time with Jody in his shop. Each visit, Jody took time to share stories of California and the people we both had known over the years. He showed me photos and memoirs of times past and the things he had made over the years. His shop was full of items that marked periods of time and told a story all on its own. I am grateful to Jody for adding the narrative and making it all that much better.

Jody was an artist. We all throw around the term true artist and it's people like Jody that give that term meaning. Just looking around his shop revealed so many amazing things -- tiny tidbits of creative flair, brilliantly executed pieces, and the signs of so many things yet to come. The sheer number of ideas flowing from him has always shocked me. He was indeed one of the most prolific artists I've encountered. Truly mind-blowing.

When I met with Jody in Wisconsin, he seemed like a quiet man. It only took a few moments with him to know that he was anything but quiet. Jody couldn't help but be an open book. And what a story that book has told.

I'm lucky to have met him. I wish I had known him better.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]
Some news hits really hard.
Myself, I've never met Jody but have visited his site many times to drool over of his work.
while most of his creations were out of my price range, I could still apprecciate his vast talent.

I am very sad that he has been lost to us far too soon.

...Dan :(
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: