Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Prince Custom Handmade Scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Al Muckart

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Very nice work.

I'm curious about the belt suspension, it seems like a very practical system. Did you come up with it yourself or is it based on medieval examples/illustrations?

If it isn't giving away trade secrets can you tell us what type and thickness of leather you use for your coverings and belts?

Thanks.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Hi Brian,

Very nice work.

I'm curious about the belt suspension, it seems like a very practical system. Did you come up with it yourself or is it based on medieval examples/illustrations?

If it isn't giving away trade secrets can you tell us what type and thickness of leather you use for your coverings and belts?

Thanks.

Hi Al,

The suspension system is based on my own experience with the traditional integral complex suspension system, and ultimately what I felt was historically practical and plausible. In doing the single wrap suspension system what I didn't like about it is how the angle & position of the hilt is stuck that way and usually a little higher up than desired. So I came up with a plausible double-wrap belt system that would allow the lower belt holding the scabbard & sword to sit a little lower, a little looser, and allow for a comfortable fast draw system, and allow the angle to adjust for sitting purposes.

I don't have any documentation revealing authenticity of the suspension system. However, I feel as a scabbard maker using historical methods, that if I can think it, I'm sure they did then too. That isn't to say it's genuine, but when taking artistic liberties, I try to do it in a way that would be historically plausible.

As for my leather, I will say I use the premium high-end oak-tanned leather. It usually costs a third more in price, but the results are worth it. My customers get a top-notch quality product from chape to throat. I don't feel inclined to reveal thickness however.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Conceptually, there are some design similarities with the scabbard/belt rig I have for my Sovereign. It can be seen here.

Is leather thickness now a trade secret by the way? Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Brian.

Chad, I had a look at your Soverign scabbard. It've seen it before but never really clicked that that was how it was done. When looking at that picture in the past I'd always assumed the top strap and buckle was just the normal clothing belt and that the sword belt was the lower strap.

Cheers.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
I Sam

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't said anything before, but I've been continually impressed with your work, Brian. But this, man... this is just plain nuts.

If this set up is going to your first born son, I'd like to volunteer for that position.
R D Moore

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Conceptually, there are some design similarities with the scabbard/belt rig I have for my Sovereign. It can be seen here.

I love the bronze pommel and guard on your Soveriegn, Chad, and the scabbard is period authentic from what I've researched. A great combination.

I agree that leather thickness is not a trade secret, but I understand Brian's hesitance to disclose what thicknesses he uses, too. That said, I've included a chart that may be helpful and a link to the site I copied it from. The thin weights could be used to wrap handles and a belt and scabbard would require a haevier weight. http://www.boatleather.com/material%20.htm

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

I love the bronze pommel and guard on your Soveriegn, Chad, and the scabbard is period authentic from what I've researched. A great combination.

I agree that leather thickness is not a trade secret, but I understand Brian's hesitance to disclose what thicknesses he uses, too. That said, I've included a chart that may be helpful and a link to the site I copied it from. The thin weights could be used to wrap handles and a belt and scabbard would require a haevier weight. http://www.boatleather.com/material%20.htm

To somewhat reiterate:

"The thin weights could be used to wrap handles and a belt and scabbard would require a haevier weight."

You want a fine leather on a scabbard, and a thicker leather on suspension or belts. The reason being is a thinner leather stretches. You want to stretch a leather around a wood core, and you don't want a leather stretching on your suspension.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Prince Custom Handmade Scabbard
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: