Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Use of short cropped hairstyle in the XIVth century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Use of short cropped hairstyle in the XIVth century         Reply with quote

Hi,

i have seen some images dating from the late XIV or early XVth century related to the life of Bertrand du Guesclin
showing him and other men wearing very short cropped hair in late reinassance style. i have found it very courious for an age where longer hair style was common. i'm not able to post the images i have found because i'm without scanner at the moment.

Do you think it was a common practice or simply an error from the painter? do you have some other XIV century images to post showing the same?

thanks

Gabriele
R. David

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In general, I believe that longer hairstyles were seen as fashionable, and so to the devoutly religious, excessive. Hence you see the Rule of Benedict and the Rule of the Templars that strictly perscribe short haircuts.

from the rule of the templars (1129):

"the Draper should ensure that the brothers are so well tonsured that they may be examined from the front and from behind; and we command you to firmly adhere to this same conduct with respect to beards and moustaches, so that no excess may be noted on their bodies."

the rule goes on to ban other fashionable or flamboyant articles such as gold-plated spurs, embroidered reigns, pointed shoes/shoe-laces, etc.

Trends may have changed by the 14th and 15th centuries, but I think that short, cropped haircuts may have been an outward expression of piety or modesty -- worn based on personal preference of a secular knight...I have also seen sources where cropped hair is a type of penance. (possibly fairly common)

Hope this helps a little.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most pictures seem to show hair just past the ear or a little lower but almost always for men several inches above the shoudlers. There are less common pictures of men with much shorter hair but I'd not have the foggiest why. Personal choice perhaps? R.'s idea sounds possible.

So it is possible to have short hair in the 14th yes.

RPM
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. David wrote:

from the rule of the templars (1129):

"the Draper should ensure that the brothers are so well tonsured that they may be examined from the front and from behind; and we command you to firmly adhere to this same conduct with respect to beards and moustaches, so that no excess may be noted on their bodies."

I'd be curious to know more about this one - when I hear the word "tonsure", I usually assume the writer is indicating that stereotypical "Friar Tuck" bald spot, and that this would mean clean shaven faces. If I understand correctly, the Templars were very serious about their ascetic vows, early on at least, so I would guess this means that they really looked like monks. Monks with weapons.

I'm trying to dig up some half-remembered reference to someone connected to the English military, either 100 Years' War, or War of the Roses era, who tried to enforce short haircuts on his household fighting men. Kind of a pre-Renaissance expression of Romanitas - good enough for the Legions, good enough for us... maybe this will jog the memory of someone sharper than me.

Cheers,
Eric
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Templars were not allowed long hairs (they didn't had classic tonsure), but they also weren't allowed to shave beards.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Use of short cropped hairstyle in the XIVth century
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic