myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cold Steel Waster Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been using mine for a few weeks and apart from the design issues already mentioned like the handle could be a bit longer as well as the blade and the pommel issue ( minor ) I really like it ( or them as I have 2 as previously mentioned ).

I have a pair so that I can lend one to an opponent as they do slide better against each other, but after many weeks of use against wooden wasters I think they can be used against wood and they don't feel odd doing so.

The main difference is that they flex on the flats like a steel blunt but are rigid when used edgewise to parry or wind: This has tactical advantages in the bind and escaping from a bind that the stiffness of a wooden waster doesn't have.

Bottom line is that I really like them and I used a knife and a file to just round the slightly too pointy tip: Got a scratch from that but it took 2 seconds to fix.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave Smith wrote:
I modified mine a bit. I cut the handle a couple inches down from the guard and made a hickory spacer. I then drilled a 3/8 hole about 2.5 inches into the upper portion of the handle, 3 inches into the lower portion, then drilled all the way through the spacer. After that, I threaded the holes thanks to my handy-dandy tap and die set (everyone should have one... very cheap at harbor freight), and inserted a threaded 3/8 steel rod from Lowe's. I also used a generous amount of JB Weld on all connections. to cover up the modifications, I covered the grip in some gray leather I'd had laying around. So far, it seems to be 100% as solid as the original. We'll see if that stays true...lol

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae121/rykk...0_0632.jpg

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae121/rykk...0_0630.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. Essentially the crafty among us can use these as $40 indestructible DIY blades. Not bad for the price really.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Single-handed polypropylene waster         Reply with quote

I see that Cold Steel has a single-handed version scheduled for 2010, their "MEDIEVAL TRAINING SWORD (WAISTER)". 29.3 oz, 32 1/4" blade, 39 1/2" overall.

This might be of interest to some.

(As for new steel swords, I see a rapier, a colichmarde, and a longsword. Hopefully the longsword might lead to a poly longsword as well, but apparently not for 2010.)
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Cold Steel Waster Edge & Tip Rework         Reply with quote

So I finally decided to defang my Cold Steel waster, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be (although it was a lot messier). I used 100 grit sandpaper in a sanding block to flatten the edges and point and a small square of hand held 100 to smooth them into the flats, followed by a CAREFUL session on the wire wheel to clean everything up. The trick to a good finish is to draw the blade lightly and smoothly across the wheel from tip to hilt without stopping or slowing down and rotate it slightly before each pass. It doesn't really matter which way you turn it (with the rotation of the wheel vs. against it) as long as you pay attention and don't let it bounce. You'll find the right speed with practice-I finally did after putting a few scars in the finish that I left as a reminder of the learning curve. Didn't take much weight off, unfortunately, but I'm working on that from the other end. Idea

PS I know the cross is on upside down-personal preference

Attachment: 175.25 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 224.34 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 229.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 202.57 KB
[ Download ]

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Wesley Nilsen

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed S. wrote:
I own one of their bokens and it is really a great buy for the price (about $20.00 from Kult of Athena). If these are made using the same methods, I am sure that they are *very* durable. If only they had a one handed sword...

They do have a one-handed sword. I got two of them from Amazon, and I don't really like them because their badly balanced and the grip has a kind of uncomfortable shape.

Jorvock Darken, Black Guardlord

"O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!"
-Samwise Gamgee

"Hoom."
-Treebeard

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cold Steel Waster
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: