Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MacDonald Armouries, Scotland ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: MacDonald Armouries, Scotland ?         Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from anyone who has handled swords from MacDonald Armouries, Scotland,
and give us your opinion on them !

Thanks, Mac

http://www.historicalfencing.org/Macdonaldarmory/work.htm

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are some interesting falchions they have there. Is there any historical example of the one with the dimpled blade? Is there a term for it other than "dimpled"?

That particular falchion is in the first sword picture at this link.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keith Kipferl wrote:
Those are some interesting falchions they have there. Is there any historical example of the one with the dimpled blade? Is there a term for it other than "dimpled"?

That particular falchion is in the first sword picture at this link.

There are several surviving swords with this grind, many of them falchions. It was a feature on arms and some armour from northern Italy. Several weapons with this feature has been attributed to the arms manufacture centre in Brescia in the 1560-1570īs. A high fashion thing that was an opportunity for the grinders to show off their skill.
In the excellent book "Armi Bianche Italiane" there are several pages with edged weapons having variations of this grind.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: I bought a sword from him         Reply with quote

Apparently Paul used to work for another company. If this is indeed the same Paul McDonald. I think the company was Castle Arms, though I will have to look it up. This was back in 1996 to 1998 when I was looking for a raplica of the sword used in the movie Braveheart. The blade was aout 46" overall and had NO distal taper. The thickness was a consistant 3mm all the way down the blade. It whipped around terribly when swung. It was not sharp and I did not cut with it. The fit and finish were rough. Again, I don't know if this is the same Paul McDonald. The swords pictured on his website certainly have a higher quality then the one I bought. Perhaps you could drop him an e-mail Mac and see if he is the same one. Evidently he has vastly inproved his level of craftsmanship (again, if this is the same PM)
Kevin Inouye

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't handled them, but got to see them being put to good (and heavy!) use in Edinburgh back in... 99? 00? Something like that. It was at a workshop, and he was showcasing his dussak, duelling shield, and longsword techniques and recreations. They seemed to work pretty well.

Plus he's a nice guy, if that counts for anything.

Freelance Hack... and slash... and thrust...
www.fightdesigner.com
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have handled one of his swords, a zweihander. It is the only zweihander I have handled that made any sense at all. It was light and quick in the hand, not floppy at all like some long and broad-bladed swords are, and was beautifully finished. For comparison, there was an older MRL one, and another whose make I can't recall. Paul's was clearly in a whole different league. One weighed about 8 lbs, another 6, and I think we estimated Paul's at about 4 1/2.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly effusive, but this was one of the only replicas I have handled that had the same feel as originals I have handled. I should point out, however, that I have never handled an original zweihander. All the replicas I have hefted have felt heavy and slow, certainly nothing I would want to face pikes or any other swordsman with. Paul's was different in all regards, and like I said earlier, his just made sense.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MacDonald Armouries, Scotland ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic