Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vince Evans Clamshell Cutlass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Vince Evans Clamshell Cutlass         Reply with quote

She arrived in the mail today. My digital camera decided today was the day to exhaust all the juice in the batteries. Mad

I don't have time to get to the store today, so pictures will have to come later.

Stats:

OAL: 32.5"

Blade Length: 27"

Grip Length: 5"

Blade Width: 1.33" at guard, slight flare to 1.43" at the peak of the curve before tapering to a point

Blade Thickness: .25" at guard, distal taper to .2" about 9.25" from tip where upon a back edge is sharpened.

Fuller: about .38" wide ends about 1" from tip

POB: 6.5" from guard

COP: 9" from tip

Curve: Tip is about 4" above straight line, so it's a deep curve. "Sori" is about 1.75 inches deep.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

Is this the beauty you were kind enough to let me handle at Blade? Man, she's a gorgeous piece of art!

Congrats!

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

is it like this one? Even if not, this is deffinatley a piece I love and want to get done someday- except with a normal blade as opposed the saw-like one.

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....amp;pos=83
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen,

The shell guard on the antique kinda looks similar, but mine has "traditional" blade. A bunch of the forumites took the pictures of this one at Atlanta Blade Show.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1700

I think the other thread started by Chad also has a few shots of my cutlass, as well as Ron Luciano's "nicer one." And the 16th Century antique owned by Ron, based on which the two Evans pieces are made. There a nice shot of Nathan Robinson holding the antique in one of the threads; he looks positively piratical.

James,

Yes, this is the one you handled at the Blade Show. I had to meet some friends for dinner so I had limited time with her so far, but was tempted to bring her to dinner. Unfortunately, I feared that the presence of a sword might cause a stir at my local pizza joint, so opted for discretion.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen,

I know you're over joyed by it's arrival. I, too, had the privilage to handle this beauty at the Blade Show.

Happy,happy,joy,joy.

The Scottish Back-sword that I bought from Nathan will be here on Tuesday, I'm looking forward to having a new toy to play with........

William
aka Bill
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Stephen S. Han"]Allen,

Quote:
I had to meet some friends for dinner so I had limited time with her so far, but was tempted to bring her to dinner. Unfortunately, I feared that the presence of a sword might cause a stir at my local pizza joint, so opted for discretion.

That is a nice piece Steven. Maybe you should have taken it to dinner. After seeing the picture of you holding it I think you would have experienced the best customer service possible for a pizza joint. Well, until the police arrived that is. Big Grin
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Update         Reply with quote

Got batteries for the camera, ran out of daylight, so only a few shots here.

First, cutlass in hand.

Attachment: 26.7 KB
cutlass1.JPG

Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword tip area (blurry)

Attachment: 8.63 KB
cutlass2.JPG

Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pic of the crossed cutlasses posted by Mac above gave me the idea for this shot. Cool

Attachment: 16.59 KB
cutlass3.JPG

Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Group shot. My collection is starting to look respectable.

Attachment: 28.38 KB
groupshot.JPG

Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Weight         Reply with quote

Forgot to post this before. On my office's postal scale (Yes, I scared the heck out of our mailroom clerk Eek! ), the Cutlass weighs 1 pound 12.1 ounces. Scabbard weighs 10.4 ounces.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great looking sword Stephen. I wish I could have been there at the Blade Show to see it in person.

That's an enviable collection of Evans' you're building there. You're giving Mac a run for his money Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Weight         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Forgot to post this before. On my office's postal scale (Yes, I scared the heck out of our mailroom clerk Eek! ), the Cutlass weighs 1 pound 12.1 ounces. Scabbard weighs 10.4 ounces.

Excellent collection.....
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Great looking sword Stephen. I wish I could have been there at the Blade Show to see it in person.

That's an enviable collection of Evans' you're building there. You're giving Mac a run for his money Big Grin

Thanks Patrick. We missed you at the Blade Show. I plan to return next year as I am sure many others are. Be great to have you join us.

I'm still far from Mac's collection. You see, every time I buy an Evans piece, Mac buys one himself to keep himself ahead of the game. Of course, at the Blade Show Mac and Ron and I met a gentleman whose Evans collection dwarfs ours.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Thanks Patrick. We missed you at the Blade Show. I plan to return next year as I am sure many others are. Be great to have you join us.

I'm still far from Mac's collection. You see, every time I buy an Evans piece, Mac buys one himself to keep himself ahead of the game. Of course, at the Blade Show Mac and Ron and I met a gentleman whose Evans collection dwarfs ours.

Sounds like a lucky man indeed!

I've found a source for much lower airfares. Unfortunately I found it only about a week before the Show so I couldn't schedule it in! Things are looking good for next year though.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Ron Luciano

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: VINCE EVANS CUTLASS         Reply with quote

THAT REALLY IS A TERRIFIC CUTLASS STEVE ( NOW KNOWN AS 1ST LIEUTENANT Laughing Out Loud )! IT REALLY IS PERFECT FOR YOUR COLLECTION, AND I LOVE THAT BLADE! TAKE CARE.

BEST REGARDS,
RON

I have not tarried in long journeys over the surface of the sea, nor have I feared the threats of enemies or wild beasts, O strong leader, Maurice, go well good friend; I discern through such sweetness, the beauties of the country life, a safe return and nobility. Lift high the wine vessel. Such things are worthy of remembrance.

HMS ADVICE 1705
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Captain Ron,

Thank you for the kind words. Hope you are allowed to board the Constitution with your Captain's Cutlass and Dagger set.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vince Evans Clamshell Cutlass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic