Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Helms Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
William P

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
My heavily-modified GDFB:

how does that helm fare anyways? i am planning to make the kit of a 15th century burgundian soldier with a jack, mitten gauntlets jack chains, a glaive, sword and buckler, plus a visored sallet. based on photos in a book on the medieval period
and GDFB seem to have taken that set of items in the photo, and made them into products for hanwei to sell. so im wondering about the quality of that helmet. in terms of how well it fits, how heavy it is, hhow easy it is to see in etc
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Received my early pothelm today ^^

Made by Armour & Castings.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures.

Attachment: 60.35 KB
Bilde369 - Kopi.jpg

Attachment: 58.42 KB
Bilde370 - Kopi.jpg

Attachment: 55.17 KB
Bilde371 - Kopi.jpg

William P

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

looking at the frontal photo,for a split second it made me think it was a sugerloaf that had been turned upside down,
then the side photos showed it was a different style,
Steven Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: My Helm         Reply with quote

My Helm by Valentine Armouries, note the floating gorget.

Attachment: 114.6 KB
[ Download ]

Steve G Robinson
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my brand new nasal helmet with nasal hook. It was custom made by Piotr Feret of platener.eu. I think it's a great piece of work. Now all I need to do is add a ventail to my maille coif that I can hang from the hook.

Attachment: 121.58 KB
DSCF0016.small.JPG

Attachment: 107.61 KB
DSCF0022.small.JPG

Attachment: 89.51 KB
DSCF0024.small.JPG

Attachment: 97.42 KB
DSCF0026.small.JPG

Attachment: 98.28 KB
DSCF0030.small.JPG
A little Christmas spirit...

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander, Eek!

Often I find myself under-whelmed by nasal an coif combinations, they usually seem so, ill fitted, so average.
HOWEVER! It is clear from your excellent example that, with well made and good fitting maille and helmet that it can look fantastic!
It doesn't sag or look generic or floppy, indeed it makes me re-evaluate my general ambivalence to what served as an efficient, sound, and snazzy looking and functioning set up. I really captures the look and I imagine the feel.
Kudos to you! Big Grin

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
David Clark

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

^what he said!
That is perhaps the nicest fit on a helm or coif I have ever seen. It is uncanny. It looks great too Happy
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Happy Fit is everything in my opinion. I made my own padded coif and I did a lot of tailoring on the maille coif to get the right, tight fit. So of course I had to get a custom helmet to top it off.
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

cool helmet Sander.

Is the the plan to add a face part to the coif your idea, or did you take it from a find/illustration?
Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Manning imperial Bolzano Great helm replica, prior to me painting a nice shade of red!

Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course my wife's Pomeranian Great Helm, from manning imperial.

And once she painted it and applied gold leaf to the crucifix.

Last edited by Roderick Stacey on Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Rootslane wrote:
Is the the plan to add a face part to the coif your idea, or did you take it from a find/illustration?

It's from an earlier thread. Have a look here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19424

Brian Robson

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have to echo the comments on the coif looking good. I really struggle to understand why the off-the-peg stuff is just so badly fitted - especially coifs. Head-sizes generally don't vary all that much!

Looking forward to seeing it with the ventail.

Will you be integrating it with a hauberk or (like me) staying well away from opening that can of worms.
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to keep it separate for practicality. I need to be able to take it off quickly in order to cool down after intense training or combat. I can't pull it back over my head through the face opening. It's too snug for that. So, if I attach it to the hauberk, I'd need to take off my weapons, surcoat and hauberk just to cool my head. But I probably will put it under my surcoat to give the impression of an integrated hauberk.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
I'm going to keep it separate for practicality. I need to be able to take it off quickly in order to cool down after intense training or combat. I can't pull it back over my head through the face opening. It's too snug for that. So, if I attach it to the hauberk, I'd need to take off my weapons, surcoat and hauberk just to cool my head. But I probably will put it under my surcoat to give the impression of an integrated hauberk.

With a coif that goes down to shoulder/upper chest level we usually wear them over a hauberk and/or surcoat, and this looks good and makes sense ..... and I think historically correct.

But for the " attached " to hauberk look I wonder if one could simulate this by putting on the coif first and then putting on the hauberk ? At a reasonable distance it might look a lot the same as an attached coif ?

Just speculation, but maybe in period the coif could have been worn with the lower part of the coif hidden under the neck opening of the hauberk ? No evidence for this that I know of but maybe some period artwork could be interpreted this way especially when some form of " ambiguous " neck armour hides the neck line ?

Again, just a " crazy idea " perhaps ! Idea Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's exactly my thoughts Sander.

After a combat display, the first thing I always want to do is get some air to my head+face! So yes, we just tuck it into surcoats too. It does the job of making it not look obviously seperate. Although for mine, I have made it so that it opens enough under the ventail to push it back over my head, the ventail still needs undoing first so it's still quicker/easier just taking the whole coif off.

Jean,
I've thought about your suggestion of tucking it under the hauberk - but I don't think it would work. Partly because it makes it difficult to take off, and also because there's a lot of weight at the shoulders of the hauberk, tucking mail under it (which will be catching on the rings) will be difficult, time consuming and need two people to achieve!

I've also made an integrated coif before (using butted) - and hit a lot of problems with getting it to look snug enough while having it loose enough so as not to restrict movement. I couldn't figure out how to preserve mobility without having a fairly baggy neck-part. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you tucked it under the hauberk, it would either restrict mobility or end up part pulled out by your head movements. if you follow.
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Robson wrote:
I couldn't figure out how to preserve mobility without having a fairly baggy neck-part.

In the other thread someone suggested to make a slit in the back of the neck that you can close with a lace.

Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my Norman Phrygian style helm made by Thorkil Armour Reproductions. That's Greg himself modeling it, not me. It was hand-raised, with carved engraving, riveted/punched ring mail aventail, handmade liner, etc. He and his friends did a beautiful job I think. They are real artists as well as skilled craftsmen.

Attachment: 130.57 KB
-1.jpg

Attachment: 131.35 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 120.98 KB
4.jpg

Attachment: 111.96 KB
6.jpg

Attachment: 104.25 KB
7.jpg

Attachment: 109.42 KB
10.jpg

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow I was following the thread of Jeffs Norman Phrygian style helm under construction and man those guys at Thorkil did an awesome job, infact even some of the faceplate pot helms are up there in greatness as well! , being keen on the 13th and 15th centuries the arms and armour I see on this forum are just mind blowing..cheers all!..
Thomas Peters

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: My Migration Helm.         Reply with quote

Hail and Well Met.

Below are some pictures of what I call my Migration Helm, but first a little history.
Parts of this helm I purchased, parts I reshaped and parts I made myself but I assembled all of it with the exception of the liner. The thickness of the helm steel is 14 gauge and the aventail is either 16 or 18 gauge ( I believe it is 18 but it may be 16).

I purchased the brow piece, right and left half, center band, nasal piece and aventail from Lloyd Clark as a partially completed project. I disassembled the entire helm and reshaped the brow piece and right and left sides to better fit my head size and shape. The nasal had been shaped into a straight piece by bending the sides around into the middle. I reshaped it into the more leaf shape it has now. I gave the ridge on the center band more definition by clamping an old wood axe in a vise and laying the band over it and shaping it with a hammer. I purchased some plate steel for the band at the base of the helm and shaped it to fit. I then had riveted all the pieces together into the helm you see.
I sent the helm to Allan at the Mercenary's Tailor and had him install the liner and the aventail suspension. After I received the helm back from Allan I installed the aventail and my helm was complete.

I have been told by those who have faced me in the list that this helm is very intimidating and it provides me good protection although it is not padded as well as it could have been had I made it a bit larger. Overall though it has been a good first project and I learned a great deal doing it.

Attachment: 24.49 KB
154119.jpg
Padding and aventail suspension made and installed by Mercenary's Tailor.

Attachment: 30.59 KB
154216.jpg
Leaf shaped nasal.

Attachment: 22.54 KB
154413.jpg

Attachment: 21.85 KB
154501.jpg

Attachment: 23.52 KB
154530.jpg

Attachment: 24.24 KB
154558.jpg

Attachment: 22.39 KB
154620.jpg

Tribe Woden Thor historical re-enactors.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Helms
Page 7 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: