Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Toke Krebs Niclasen

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few more pictures.
The Viceroy is a combination of the cut and trust, lacking the floppy "tongue" tip of e.g. Baron and other pure cutting blades.

The bronze swords look wonderful.
Swords are addictive.Happy

Attachment: 179.33 KB
Arriving at my home and unpacking the swords. :)
The gun case is not perfect for carrying swords, not unless there is a bit of foam on the tip and bubbleplast around the handle to prevent them from sliding around inside.
[ Download ]

Attachment: 192.74 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 192.38 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 193.97 KB
[ Download ]
Paul D

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: My First Sword         Reply with quote

My first sword is a ceremonial I received upon graduation from Annapolis. Not on active duty anymore, so it is a decoration now. I have my uncle's WWI vintage cavalry officer's saber, also ceremonial, and a Civil War Militia officers smallsword with an ivory handle. The sword is in very poor shape, all the hardware is loose. My first purchased sword is a Windlass Italian Falchion, which is savage looking but very heavy. I bought it mostly because I liked the hilt design.

I am expecting my Albion Gallowglass any day, at which point I think I can say I have joined the ranks of real sword people, finally.

-Interesting quote goes here-
Neil Gagel

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was a wallhanger that my parents bought for me after much begging and pleading while on vacation in Spain back in '85. It was some cheap SS knockoff of the El Cid Tizona Sword. Needless to say I didn't understand the concept of "wallhanger" and "rat-tail tang" and so it quickly wound up disintegrating into component parts after I put it through some pretty rough use - towards the end it was just the bare blade with the rat tail snapped off and the guard long lost with black electrical tape wrapped around the base of the blade as a makeshift handle.

Then I didn't have another sword until '98 when I bought a supposedly "battle worthy" sword online alternately called "Templar's Sword" and "14th Century Cut and Thrust" sword. The blade is some sort of low grade steel with a heavy secondary bevel and cheap, uneven brass furniture. I tried cutting a 2 liter filled with water and warped the blade on the first swing (very slight deflection about 2/3 of the way up the blade) and from that point onward relegated it to decorative show piece.

The first sword I picked up that could actually stand up to use and hold an edge is a fantasy piece made by Windlass Steelcrafts right around 2000/2001 called the "Evil's Bane". It's a single edged slightly curved two handed sword (48" or so) with a slab tang, a long handle, brass furniture and some rather cheap leather wrapping on the grip. It's rather heavy and unwieldy and it has virtually no guard to speak of, but it sure does cleave nicely after sharpening (even now).

Since then I've picked up a few pieces that are modeled after historical pieces (without copying any one particular piece)...
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Starfire bastard sword as seen here:

http://www.starfireswords.com/products/steel/bs1m.php

Not the greatest looker, and a bit overbuilt (intentionally), but at least it had some shelf life. Really was nothing I could do to cause it any harm. Even if I wanted to cause it any harm!! Big Grin Eek!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL English Cut and Thrust

Attachment: 72.27 KB
[ Download ]

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first was the Paul Chen practical viking sword. Which my gf now uses as I teach her (Good weight and durability). Stood up to a lot...oh the bond between a man and his sword!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unless you want to count the "Singing Sword" of Prince Valiant, which I received for my sixth birthday, along with matching shield, then it would be a WK&C saber that my then girlfriend's father, a retired Army officer, gave me for my 22d birthday, way back in the last century. I still have the sword, which was given to him by his civilian staff in Germany not long after WWII. It isn't much, but it was the first. The blade is etched with the motto "In Treue Fest", the meaning of which I do not know, having no German, if that is German.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The blade is etched with the motto "In Treue Fest", the meaning of which I do not know, having no German, if that is German.

It appears to be. Translated from German it literally means something like "with firm loyalty" or "in firm loyalty". Someone who is actually from Germany can probably give a better translation.
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm almost embarrassed to show my first sword. Yes, I still own it.

I was no older than about 12 or 13, and our family was visiting an antique shop in the historic district of Ellicott City, MD. I spotted an umbrella stand full of junky wall-hangers, each marked at about $20. I begged my mom to lend me the money, and my new hobby was born. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
I begged my mom to lend me the money, and my new hobby was born. Happy

And she regretted it ever since? Big Grin
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
MRL English Cut and Thrust

That's pretty nice for a first sword. Good Job!
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! I think it was inspired by a hilt similar to this in The Rapier and Small sword 1460 - 1820 by A V B Norman.

Attachment: 134.67 KB
scan0003.jpg

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur

Last edited by R D Moore on Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was a cheap old Pakistan wall hanger my father bought me for Christmas when I was 6 in 1996. It's pretty beat up now, but it's still in one piece. My knowledge of swords has come a very long way since then, but it still holds a lot sentimental value with me. As far as real swords go, my first would be an entry level Paul Chen katana.
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: First new sword was disappointment         Reply with quote

Well, my wife is Irish, yes born of the old sod, so I wanted an Irish sword but something of a Celtic origin. I ordered the Celtic Anthropomorphic from Valiant Armory and it was a beast to say the least. It weighs over five pounds though it can be used with two hands and is very sturdy. But...it was not my idea of a sword and led me to purchase another sword and another looking for that perfect (for me) sword. Having an Irish wife who is mad as hell at all the money being spent on swords is not the most healthful remedy in the world so I guess I had to admit to being a collector addict just to have some excuse. Anyway an angry spouse who has come to terms with her husbands faults is a somewhat better situation. And all because of that first sword I bought...

Attachment: 204.65 KB
Sword Stands 2 002.jpg

To Study The Edge of History
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword, or rather set of swords: the Hanwei "Bushido" set. In retrospect I really like these swords and wish I still had them, as they're very "fancy" (for lack of a better word) for production katana, but I sold them to Aaron Justice once upon a time as his first set of Japanese-style swords.

Attachment: 71.01 KB
saya2.jpg

Attachment: 46.39 KB
MyDaisho0010.jpg

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: My first Sword         Reply with quote

My first sword was a "souvenir" of the taking of Betio Island in the Tarawa Atoll in November of 1944.

It is of a mass produced "samurai" pattern and was carried by a member of the Imperial Japanese Marines The sword was a gift from an uncle who was with the 2nd Marine Division at that time and....only seventeen years old.

He is still around and so is the sword; had it for over fifty years now. The sword still looks great, but of course my uncle has aged a bit!

Cheers,
Dan
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
My first sword, or rather set of swords: the Hanwei "Bushido" set. In retrospect I really like these swords and wish I still had them, as they're very "fancy" (for lack of a better word) for production katana, but I sold them to Aaron Justice once upon a time as his first set of Japanese-style swords.

I've got an interest in both European and Japanese swords, and I've got to say that these swords have had my eye since I was 13 or 14. Aesthetically, I believe they're my personal favorite production katana I've run across. Thanks for posting that picture...I'll be saving it and staring at it from time to time until I can land one. Cool
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Ed Toton wrote:
I begged my mom to lend me the money, and my new hobby was born. Happy

And she regretted it ever since? Big Grin

Only until I moved out. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Martin Francis

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First sword bought was an Armourclass Schaivona with rayskin grips. It's seen a fair bit of use over the years and had to have a repair on the guard following over enthusiastic use

First antique swod bought was a British 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre, sold as a reproduction, turned out to be the real thing - result !

Martin
Michelle Ong

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last year, I begged my mom to buy me a Hanwei/MTP longsword. I begged hard enough. Big Grin It's still going strong. Its flats look like they've been chewed up by rabid mice, but it's still going strong.

On an unrelated note, it feels weird to look down and see people talking about their first cheap crappy sword at the age of 15/16 many many years ago, mostly because that's my age this year.

Quote:
First antique swod bought was a British 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre, sold as a reproduction, turned out to be the real thing - result !

Damn, you lucky fella!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword.
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: