Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Painted armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Painted Sallet         Reply with quote

Hi, on a recent trip to the Royal Armouries in Leeds, I saw this helmet which reminded me of this thread - I believe that this is known as a "Black Sallet", and is 15th century.

Someone has taken a great deal of time to paint the detailed repeating design on this helmet.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P.S. don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if the peirced holes along the sallet edge and visor edge are for decoration, or for a particular purpose?

Thanks.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Nathan Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like those sallets with rudimentary facial features and I will probably have one made in the near future as well as a black sallet and paint both from some of those photos.
But for now I will practice painting with a GDBF Bellows Visored Sallet I have lying around.

So firstly what kind of Paint should I use, and and second,what would people personally like to see on a helmet?
I'm a reasonably good painter so more complex period designs are fine. and with only limited surviving examples and a cheap helmet period plausible is good enough

also both Myself and the others in my 16thC living history group enjoy wearing kit that non historically minded modern people have difficulty even looking at (making them cringe is half the fun) and this will affect my choice of design somewhat.

If you have any plausibly ideas you can describe please tell me and I will try the one I like best on that spare helmet.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An Italian armour used for the procession of the Gioco del Ponte:

Pastime With Good Company
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Painted Armour         Reply with quote

Hi Frances,

The holes around the edges of this sallet and visor are for the liner. Occasionally you will find holes used for coverings.i.e some barbuta and burgonets.

When I first saw the painted lion sallet in the Wallace Collection, I thought it was a prank!! In the last fifty years I learned there is some pretty strange stuff out there.....

Cheers,
Dan
Joshua R

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Silly question, a bit off-topic, and I ask more for adding a protective finish to my Albion Count's pommel and cross guard, but... what sort of paints would have been used in period?
" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have read now several older threads about painted armor and this one seems to me the most promising to be revived. I have recently finished my infantry shield in red and white artwork taken from the Morgan Picture Bible. Now I am thinking about coloring my kettle hat, like seen in the Morgan Bibles illuminations. Well, I haven't made up my mind about this... What do you think? I have seen in the threads many examples of painted sallets and other helmets, several hundred years younger than my average kettle helmet, but no one discussed painting 13. century armor. Would you - or probably already have - paint your kettle hat for reenactment? Or do you despise this idea as being fancy-pansy? If I am going to do it, I will most likely use acrylic paint instead of tempera. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about historical accuracy, but someone around here does an awesome looking 11th century norman knight with a white-and-blue striped nasal helmet. It looks stunning (and of course, I can't find the thread...)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have read now several older threads about painted armor and this one seems to me the most promising to be revived. I have recently finished my infantry shield in red and white artwork taken from the Morgan Picture Bible. Now I am thinking about coloring my kettle hat, like seen in the Morgan Bibles illuminations. Well, I haven't made up my mind about this... What do you think? I have seen in the threads many examples of painted sallets and other helmets, several hundred years younger than my average kettle helmet, but no one discussed painting 13. century armor. Would you - or probably already have - paint your kettle hat for reenactment? Or do you despise this idea as being fancy-pansy? If I am going to do it, I will most likely use acrylic paint instead of tempera. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Thomas

The Morgan Bible shows coloured helms (a lot of great helms for sure), so it would seem to be appropriate for 13th century.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
I don't know about historical accuracy, but someone around here does an awesome looking 11th century norman knight with a white-and-blue striped nasal helmet. It looks stunning (and of course, I can't find the thread...)

Found it: The Normans: Their history, arms and tactics.
Thomas R.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Sander!

That helmet looks awesome! It's quite inspirational to see others painting their gear. I'll try this for sure, using red and white. I will test, if the acrylic zinkwhite, I got, has enaught opacity to cover the metal or if I have to use an other sort of white.
Since the helmet is now covered in a protective film of ballistol weapons oil, does someone have any suggestions which oil repellant I should use to remove the oil? (Maybe BP is also interested in this answer Wink )

Have a nice weekend,

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
Since the helmet is now covered in a protective film of ballistol weapons oil, does someone have any suggestions which oil repellant I should use to remove the oil? (Maybe BP is also interested in this answer Wink )

I've heard engine degreasers from automotive stores work well for that.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I don't know where this is located. Any info would be appreciated.

Hi Nathan,

Sorry to have come to this party late ... that 'flame job' sallet is shown in the book Chladná krása plátové zbroje (The cold beauty of the plate armour: The plate armour from 15th-17th centuries in collections of museums, castles and manor houses in the Czech Republic) by Stanislav Hrbatý (Hradec Kralove: Museum východnich Čech v Hradci Králové, 2006).

Here's what the accompanying English-language translation says about the sallet:

Quote:
Sallet, about 1485, Germany
(The State Castle of Źleby, Inv. No. ZL 6691)
Mark: The helmet bears no mark.
Weight: 2,318 kg

The cold beauty is a wonderful source of high-quality photos of armour - I think many here will love it (I think Randall, Ben, and others from MyA ordered one when it came out).

You have to order it directly from the museum, and arrange an international bank transfer to pay, but the ordering process is not hard, and they post it promptly.

Here's the museum's page for the catalog, as well as the email address for ordering: http://www.thecoldbeauty.com/vystava/katalog.asp

And here's the post at The Armour Archive where Jiri Klepac alerted us to this great resource - it has a couple of tips on ordering: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewto...old+beauty This thread also has the complete text of the English accompanying notes.

Oh, and Arma Bohemia are doing a copy of the Źleby sallet - it's HE 23: http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/helmetsA.htm - I'm tempted to get one just so I can replicate the flame job ... Wink
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After a couple years of putting my soft kit, and armour together, I've decided to start dialing my collection to the turn of the century, 1490-1510. Like Nathan, I'm also looking for any paintings or woodcuts that show possible painted harness from the turn of the of century there. Or, even textile covered or blued (blacked) harness. I'm looking for any type of decoration, and or covering.

Is is a huge leap to assume that armour was painted to match these "Black Sallets"? Or was the helm the only thing decorated garishly to show who the individual is in the plate?

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi. Do you know any sources for painted klappenvisier? I know painted bascinets from 14th century (Alexanderroman Bodleian Library MS. Bodl. 264), but nothing with visor.
http://diebgasse.blogspot.com/
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arek Przybylok wrote:
Hi. Do you know any sources for painted klappenvisier? I know painted bascinets from 14th century (Alexanderroman Bodleian Library MS. Bodl. 264), but nothing with visor.

How do you know these depictions show paint rather than fabric or leather coverings?

R. Storey, Technology and Military Policy in Medieval England, c.1250-1350
Quote:
An appraisal made in 1324 valued three unremarkable basinets at 30s, an average of
10s each. (70) In the same year, however, 44 basinets were purchased by royal clerks for 16d each and
covered in white leather for another 10d each.
(71)
------------
71. PRO, London, E 101/165/1, Expenses of Adam de Lymbergh in providing springalds and arms in Aquitaine.

Thom Richardson, The medieval inventories of the Tower armouries 1320–1410
Quote:
This depiction corresponds closely with the
inventory of Humphrey de Bohun, earl of Hereford, compiled 1319–22, ‘1 mail shirt
called Bolioun, 1 pair of plates covered with green velvet, 2 jupons, 2 coats with the
arms of the earl, three pairs of ailettes with the arms of the earl of Hereford’, and ‘2
bacinets, 1 covered with leather, the other bright’,
and represents the norm of
equipment for the man-at-arms for the field in the first quarter of the fourteenth
century. (140)

Regulations made by the Armourers of London.
15 Edward 11. A.D. 1322. Letter-Book E. fol. cxxxiii. (Norman French.)
Quote:
Also, seeing that as well lord as man have found theirs to be old bacinets, battered and vamped-up, but recently covered by persons who know nothing of the trade; such bacinets being then put away in some secret place, and carried into the country, away from the City, to sell; and that in the City of such men no cognizance can be taken, whether the same be good or bad; a thing from which great peril might ensue to the King and to his people, and disgraceful scandal to the armourers aforesaid, and to all the City; it is ordained and assented to, that no smith, or other man who makes the irons for bacinets, shall from henceforth himself cause any bacinet to be covered for sale; but he is to sell the same out of his hands entirely, and not fitted up, in manner as used to be done heretofore; and the bacinets so sold are to remain so uncompleted, until they have been viewed by the four persons who shall have been sworn thereto, or by two of them, as to whether they are proper to be fitted up or not.

From: 'Memorials: 1322', Memorials of London and London Life: In the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries (1868), pp. 145-148. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?...y=armourer London Date accessed: 10 August 2012.

Quote:
17 March 1327

At this Court came good men of the mistery of Pouchmakers with certain articles (fn. 6) designed to prevent deception and false work in their trade and prayed that they might be confirmed (L). They complained that foreigners, by conspiracy with false workers of the City, were selling sheep leather scraped on the back in counterfeit of roe-leather (quir de Roo), and that such false leather, when used on plate-armour or on plate-gauntlets, would not last two days if it was wetted. They prayed that no leather-dyer should be allowed to dye such work, and that it should be confiscated and burnt.

From: 'Roll A 1b: (ii) Nov 1327 - July 1328', Calendar of the plea and memoranda rolls of the city of London: volume 1: 1323-1364 (1926), pp. 37-65. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36653 Date accessed: 09 December 2012.

And, no, I've never seen an example of a colored visor on a bascinet.

Attachment: 125.14 KB
MS Bodl. 264, fo054v-red bas.jpg

Attachment: 109.04 KB
MS Bodl. 264, fo78r-red bas.jpg

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Mark T

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Frances Perry wrote:
P.S. don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if the peirced holes along the sallet edge and visor edge are for decoration, or for a particular purpose?

Thanks.

Frances - sorry for this reply being four years late! There was a great thread about this question on the Arms and Armour Forum a few years back, showing lots of images of sallets with both holes near the rim, as well as at the 'keyline' of the bowl - where the helm's curvature goes from being convex to concave.

Speculation based on strong circumstantial evidence and sound reasoning led to a general consensus that they would have been used for sewing on the fabric coverings often found on these sallets - you need to sew at the edge, as expected, but also at the 'keyline' to keep the fabric following the curve of the helm, otherwise it would want to follow the shortest path to the edge, and therefore fall in a straight line (or simply flap about).

If such sallets also had fabric on the inside, as some suspect - and as done on recent interpretations, such as the beautiful velvet 'de Cosson' black sallet by Roman Tereschenko, below - then the holes at the keyline serve a similar (although less crucial) function, in keeping the inside lining snug to the helm line as it rounds the curve.

These holes can be found predominantly on the so-called 'black' sallets, which we know many of were covered with fabric. They also appear on earlier styles of sallets, but as we find more images of coloured sallets, most likely fabric-covered (such as the dozens of examples in the Patrama Tapestries), this is not surprising.

Attachment: 161.36 KB
129624560.jpg

Attachment: 172.88 KB
129624578.jpg

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Nathan Johnson

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

funny you should post that sallet.
Here's my light cavalry harness, with a covered black sallet that was also made by Roman Tereschenko.
(sorry for my poor photography skills the velvet looks messy in my photo but great in person)

I've got to say I'm fairly convinced that's what these holes are for, the placement of some of the holes is a little odd for just a lining alone but with the lining/cover combo it just works so perfectly Id be surprised if they were for any other purpose.

I wonder if the painted ones were originally sold uncovered for the owners to cover or paint, or if they were painted after the covers wore out.

Attachment: 92.17 KB
192173_1879656147371_7140941_o2.jpg

Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Fantastic kit! I'm glad to hear Roman made two of these sallets ... he does very good work!

Mark T

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just saw that Jeffrey Hildebrant has made a reproduction of the Wallace A82 painted sallet shown earlier: http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/portfolio/a82-painted-sallet/

If you hover next to the image, you'll be able to click through to see other views ... amazing work!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Painted armour
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: