Carolingian helmets
I am confused on if the Franks wore the spangenhelm during the carolingian dynasty or some other helmet that i do not know the name to here is the spangenhelm [ Linked Image ] and here is the other helmet [ Linked Image ]
The spangenhelm seems to have had a very long period of being in use in various forms. The painting shows an interpretation of a Carolingian helm but I think it is based on rather crude period artwork and a lot of it guesswork ? ( Could be wrong but I don't think there is a single one one could find in a museum today except as maybe a fragment ).

The Carolingian helm is often interpreted as some form of kettle hat and has a family resemblance to the much later morion, or at least that what they remind me of.

I think I read somewhere ( sorry no precise source I remember ) that the spangenhelm was related or evolved from some late Roman helms that where influenced by the helms of the barbarian mercenaries often used by the Romans as auxiliary troops.
In fact various forms of spangenhelm are already present on the base Trajan's column in Rome. On the base of the column there is a display of trophies captured from the barbarian enemies of Rome after Trajan's war s with the dacians and their allies. So the spangenhelm was a "barbarian" invention and romans copied it later in their cheap, mass production version of equipment.
See here:
[ Linked Image ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[ Linked Image ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: