Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Hi David
Thanks for the kind words. Petr will be very happy. Let me say he was a real pleasure to work with and kept me informed through the whole project. Patrick Barta has also commented on the workmanship.

David, really enjoy your posts on Vendel culture. Keep up the good work.
Lovely, lovely work by Petr.
I agree, really nice work from Petr! :cool:
Here is my re-enactment combat seax, and as such the blade is a bit rough and worn, but I still like it.

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 196.29 KB
[ Download ]
Seax
Hello Jerry,
Very nice seax! I really do want an example of Petr's work. I nearly was able to have him hilt an Owen Bush blade of mine, but we just couldn't work out a way that I could send him funds that would work for both of us.

I'm envious, to say the least.

Robert
Hello - time to post my seaxes, I think! From smallest to largest:

Fierce Friend done by Ben Potter a few years ago - has served me well many times, and always looks great:
[ Linked Image ]

This one has a shear steel blade by Owen bush and rest by Tod's Stuff:
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

This is a big seax! (15" blade, 23" overall) pattern-welded blade by Owen Bush, rest by Tod. A really amazing piece in person.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The seax is definitely an interesting knife design. Great to see all the others posted here, too!
Seax
My favorite thread!
It is interesting to notice that some of these have changed hands over the years.
Well to keep it alive, I can add these 2.
1st by Owen Bush, second by Tinker Pearce.

I also have a langseax somewhere in limbo with Owen, just haven't found out when to exprect it. Soon I hope!
Regards
Robert

Attachment: 90.43 KB
P1030137.JPG

Attachment: 88.17 KB
P1030138.JPG

Those Owen Bush/Tod seaxes are breathtaking Abe!!
This thread is inspiring! I was already exploring medieval German and 19th c. American/English bowies, and the saxes collected here are adding a new dimension to my appreciation for big knives. One current knife project seems to be a mix of all three types. :D
these saxes look pretty good, and im very surprised the hanwei saxe is even remotely historical,

but one feature of saxes that puzzles me is the fact that the scabbard seems to partly cover the grip im curious as to why that is.
William P wrote:

but one feature of saxes that puzzles me is the fact that the scabbard seems to partly cover the grip im curious as to why that is.

This is seen on lots of knives and some swords. Khyber knives, pesh kabz, Caucasian shashkas, puukko & leukku, some Russian knives, native American trade knives, khodmi, pichok, bichak, yataghan.

Practically, it has two useful effects.

(a) It means that the blade end of the grip can function as a habaki/tunkou, letting the sword/knife sit securely in the scabbard when fully inserted, without it being a tight fit during the insertion.

(b) Secondly, the scabbard/sheath is longer, so a suspension can be put above the centre of mass, so it doesn't want to turn upside down, or the scabbard can be inserted deeper into a belt/waist sash, again with the centre of mass further down, for better stability.

Of course, there are some (potential) disdvantages, too.

(i) The scabbard or sheath might be harder to make. Whether this is the case depends on the details of the design.

(ii) Can't have a guard on the knife/sword (other than perhaps a tiny, tiny one).

(iii) Can make it harder to draw. Ears or other protrusions at the butt end of the grip can help here.
William P wrote:
...but one feature of saxes that puzzles me is the fact that the scabbard seems to partly cover the grip im curious as to why that is.

To better ensure they don't fall out of the sheath, plain and simple. They didn't have metal snaps or velcro to hold the knife in and using, say, a cord or thong to hold it in would impede drawing the knife quickly when you need it.

A sword can pretty much hold itself in the sheath, but the blade of a knife is generally too short to take advantage of either gravity or friction all that well, so you include a sizeable amount of hilt in the sheath.
That is one fantastic piece Bruce.

I can see why you are pleased with yourself! I particularly love the scabbard

Altogether lovely

Tod
Not yet mine but hopefully soon it will be, broken back pattern welded seax blade by Paul Binns. When it will be mine, I will get it hilted and make some more pictures of it, but I couldn't wait for it, after all, this will be my first pattern welded piece by a great smith such as Paul, at the moment the only pattern welded blade I own is Hanwei Saxon: (pictures from Paul's website):

Here are some pictures I took of my new Paul Binns seax from my last post. I'm fascinated with this thing, it's beautiful. In a few days it goes to Alojz Krišto for hilting and sharpening.

seax
And to keep this thread alive.
one by
Ben Potter
Tinker Pearce
Petr Florianek

Attachment: 98.44 KB
P1030649.JPG

Attachment: 97.21 KB
P1030650.JPG

Attachment: 96.19 KB
P1030651.JPG

Langseax
Watch This Space. Coming soon to a forum near you.
Your seax collection has become something of legend Robert! I'm impressed!
A tiny antique

Attachment: 83.01 KB
aa.jpg

I purchased this blade from Chris Makin and am still pondering which style hilt and sheath would fit it best. Its much prettier in person as its made of wraught iron and steel with a really nice grain showing.

Attachment: 26.95 KB
seaxshi.jpg

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Page 3 of 7

Jump to: