myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yearly Donation Drive Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well 46 donors so far and we are over the mid point of reaching the objective at $1662.

I think that's pretty good and in line with previous years fun drive, and actually things where moving faster than usual in the first few days but seem a little stalled today. On average I think I see something between 1 to 3 or 4 donors per day with average donations being around $36 ..... but the average is higher because there where a few larger donations over $50.

Some of the donations have been around $10 - $20 and this is fine but I think more participation at the $10 level would be nice as I said I do hope for more people giving small donations rather than expecting a few generous people to give 5X to 10X these smaller amounts.

It does seem that " Bumping " up the Topic at least once a day is necessary to keep donations rolling in: I just wish I had more original things to say. Wink So I do have to repeat myself a great deal and repeat things I remember writing in previous donation drives mostly because a good argument then is still a good argument now. Wink Laughing Out Loud

So to repeat: Nathan shouldn't have to sell parts of his collection or photographic equipment, as he has done in previous years, to personally pay for the hosting of the site: By the way Nathan has already fronted the amount this year as we started the fund drive later than in previous years. ( Sorry a little " guilting " here. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

The prizes, I know, are not the main motivation for most to give a donation but they do help making this more fun and it's nice to know that a couple of people will win something.

If this place is something you get a great deal from and would miss if it wasn't here, you should if you can afford it give that minimal $10 donation to help the site. ( You could give just $5 but in that case you wouldn't be eligible for the prizes but the money would still be appreciated if it's all you can comfortably afford ).

And thanks again to the handful of people who gave more than $50. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to this site...well, everything I do in this field is thanks to this site. But, continuing the family connection theme, following a link posted here I discovered a cache of Flynt ancestors who were archers in the 100 Years War, including one who was probably at Agincourt. The information here also led me to realize that another ancestor who was known to have died March 29, 1461, was among the slaughtered Lancastrians at Towton. And, of course, the research and writing I did for my Virigina Muster article taught me an enormous amount about the first of my name to arrive in this country. This site gives me insight in the lives (and deaths) of those men. All as a result of Nathan's dedication to this work!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Neil Gagel

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This site is definitely worth the donations necessary to keep it afloat.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

$1732 as I write: So we are closing in on $2000 Big Grin Cool
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overdue for a " BUMP ": If you find yourself reading something on this site almost daily or post replies to topics you found interesting enough to want to participate in you probably get a lot out of the site, so maybe giving a little back is in your interest, not to mention being a nice thing to do and helping not only this site for itself but because this site is like the town square of our small community of collectors, historians and Industry makers and it's continued existence is a good thing for all of us. Wink Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I mentioned in one of my early posts I think that some of the makers and vendors who get a lot of useful buzz from satisfied customers here on this site and who also have a Forum here to publicize their work, at no cost, that is useful to promote new products and also to get useful feedback from customers and a marketplace to sell some of their pieces, should consider it in their interest to give the site a little financial support.

It need not be a huge amount, even a small donation will be appreciated and very very cost effective compared to the costs of paying for almost any kind of publicity,. Even compared to their own site management costs if they have a web site and hosting costs themselves.

So the makers should at least consider what the loss of this site would mean to them as I can tell you that many many of them I would never have found or decided to buy from them without the positive feedback I have received from satisfied customers who have posted their reviews of product and the official Reviews on this site that give objective and reliable information about the reviewed item, not to mention the great photography of the makers' product that often aided me to decide to buy when the pics on the makers site hadn't motivated me to buy !

Oh, all these advantages also apply to the general membership i.e. the customers who also get exposed to detailed information about their favourite sword or piece of armour etc ... and can make intelligent decisions about what to buy !

Now, this is just the commercial or collectors aspects of this site I'm emphasizing in this specific posts 1 There are also all the other educational and entertainment and community aspects of this site that deserve support if you are in a position to give $10 or more to support something that you get a lot out of. ( I assume that anyone who comes here often is getting something they value out of this site ! I'm sure we also get one time visitors who just needed an answer to a historical arms question or a resource that could point them to where they could find the answers to their question(s).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Up to $1752 at the time of writing this, lets try to get it to $2000 before the end of the weekend. Wink

After this it would be almost downhill from there to the $2640 objective. We would still like to go over the objective as this creates an emergency reserve and usually Nathan uses any surplus to enhance the site or for special " surprises ".

Although, people should understand that Nathan has spent way much more money and work time than he has ever received in donations and support: It is something he wants to do and it's not a business or a job but at least we should help him with the hosting costs which represent only a part of what he spends each year keeping this place functioning.

Well, it's 6:00 A.M. my time as I write this and I need to go to bed before I soon fall down, so maybe my motivational efforts are sort of also " tired " and I've run out of ideas for now. Wink

Just donate what you can afford, thanks. Big Grin Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

$190 to get to $2000 can we get there before Monday and then try to slide down to the $2640 objective. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 24 Sep, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, donations sort of stalled again ? Well I guess it means I have to keep bumping up the Topic to keep things moving. Wink

Maybe next time I'm go into creative writing mode and think of something motivational, clever or hopefully funny to make these " BUMPS " at least interesting to read. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Right now I got nothing. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Well, re-read all the previous posts on this Topic and the other Donations drive Topic if you need reasons to donate.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 25 Sep, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, just noticed a pattern here: 1 " BUMP " 1 donation. Wink ( Thanks by the way Happy ).

So does this mean one donation each time I " BUMP " the Topic or a donation each time I write " BUMP ".

( NOTE: keep scrolling down there is more after the " You know what's ", i.e. a punch line to the joke that those who don't scroll down won't read ).

As a test here goes: BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP .

So that would be 325 " you know whats " on this post at $10 each that would mean another $3250 ........
or just the usual $10 or $20 each " BUMP " OOOOOPS now 326 BUMPs on this post ...... OOOOOPS 327 as long as I don't write **** again. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well that seemed to only work a little bit since we are up to $1895 and stuck there for the last couple of days. Sad

Anyone willing to put in $5 or $15 ( to be eligible for the prizes ) to get it past $1900.

After this still $100 to get to $2000.

Don't forget all the fun and pleasure you guys get from the site.

I do notice that many who are new members or longterm members who rarely or never post have stepped up to made a donation.

Some of the frequent posters who haven't donated yet should maybe consider doing so if their financial situation allows it. Those getting a lot out of the site should be more motivated to keep it going and also not let Nathan carry the ball of paying any of the hosting costs ! Nathan does this because he wants to do it but he spends each year at lot more than just the hosting costs but at least the basic costs of running the place should not be something he should have to worry about.

Oh, and just because some may feel that giving just $10 is not enough because they might rather donate more, but can't afford to give more, they should give that $10. Wink Like I have said since the beginning if enough people give $10 it shouldn't be a burden for anyone not in seriously bad financial shape ! ( And I understand that many of you may be counting your pennies to pay for food or rent so my words aren't meant for them, only those who appreciate the site and can afford the $10 ).

Note: If people really can't afford more than $5, just donate that and it will help even if it is not enough to qualify for the prizes: Some of you do want to help and the prizes are just there to make the donation drive more fun and not your main reason to want to donate. ( If you feel embarrassed by giving just $5 don't be: It is appreciated as money but also because more people who take the trouble to donate is very good for Nathan's and my morale in having this place supported as widely as possible. If you feel uncomfortable with a small donation just do it anonymously. Wink Cool ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Thanks to this site...well, everything I do in this field is thanks to this site. But, continuing the family connection theme, following a link posted here I discovered a cache of Flynt ancestors who were archers in the 100 Years War, including one who was probably at Agincourt. The information here also led me to realize that another ancestor who was known to have died March 29, 1461, was among the slaughtered Lancastrians at Towton. And, of course, the research and writing I did for my Virigina Muster article taught me an enormous amount about the first of my name to arrive in this country. This site gives me insight in the lives (and deaths) of those men. All as a result of Nathan's dedication to this work!

We could use more stories like these and if you have one please feel free to post to this Topic whether you have made a financial contribution or not: Good stories about why you like the site or why it has value to you can motivate others to donate even if at this time you can't afford to financially contribute.

These stories also add value to the Topic as an interesting read as well as a way to bump up the Topic. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Philip Montgomery wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yes it's that time of year again or even a little later than usual.

I just made a very modest donation, and I encourage everyone else to give what they can. I love this site. I have learned so much here. I am fascinated by the forums, the resources, the great store of knowledge residing in the membership. This is a great place. Thanks to everybody who makes this place happen.

Another example of what I'm talking about helping to motivate others to donate.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I've covered how I found myArmoury in previous threads; it's not terribly exciting. Happy One thing I've been thinking about lately, though, is not how I found myArmoury but why I stick around and spend so much time here; why I want to spend the hours I have writing, editing, brainstorming, moderating, etc. It's not because I have nothing better to do. Well, sometimes it is... Happy

It's really because I find this place to be so interesting: the people, the discussions, everything. Sure, I love reading topics, especially those on things about which I know nothing. Happy I learn things all the time. But, for me, it's the people that keep me coming back. I've met so many great people here. I've been able to interact with major smiths, vendors, researchers, etc. in an atmosphere where they don't act superior and where they feel comfortable interacting and sharing info with regular Joes like me. I've been able to meet people (relatively) local to me and we get together periodically and shoot the breeze, show off new toys, and scare the hell out of my neighbors. Happy I've also met other great folks here, more than I can count.

Without this place, my collection wouldn't be as nifty. Nor would my library. But more importantly, I wouldn't have had the chance to meet so many great people, even if we've only met virtually. I've made good friends here. For me, that's why myArmoury is worth the time and occasional headache. It's also why I make a donation to these fund drives. I know what my buddy spends to run this place and I like being able to help him do that as a small token of thanks for putting it (and keeping it) together. I value the atmosphere that Nathan has created and nurtured, because it brings in the kind of people around that I want to hang out with.

For me, it's worth the time and effort and certainly worth making a donation to help keep running. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MEGA BUMP: Here is a link to last years donation drive with nice graphics at the end ( My older Photoshop7 is not compatible with an Intel based MAC .... Sad Cry so I can't use drawings this year to encourage donations ).

Anyway, lots of good and still valid posts by people last year telling personal stories of why they like the site and it's value to them.

So, with this link you can read a whole bunch of arguments from last year about why to donate. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

Graphics on the last two pages.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure Jean is happy to see the latest donations and some general upward movement toward the goal. We're not that far away! We just need the generosity to continue. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan had said on a few occasions that this forum was really never meant to be the main focus of the site. While the main page and incredible additions of data with the articles to the site; One has driven the other (I think) in that more discussion has fostered more submissions, while the stored information has driven discussion. I have always enjoyed the very basic structure of the board index here itself and it does seem like just enough can be more than enough. While I am truly not one of the original internet spathanauts out here, I have come across a quite few that at least qualify as early electronic adventurers of these interests for a couple of decades now. Whether the main site or the board itself is the most important to visitors, it is surely true that the whole is amongst the best content driven internet resources for historic European arms over a couple of millennium.

Cheers

GC
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm sure Jean is happy to see the latest donations and some general upward movement toward the goal. We're not that far away! We just need the generosity to continue. Happy

That would be a yes and to celebrate I just donate $33 to get us over the $2000 mark.

Why $33 instead of $30. Question Wink Razz Just because I'm evil Evil and it might force the OCD people among us to round out the number as it worked at least once, why not again. Razz

I also joked/threatened before to add $3 just to get back to an uneven number. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Now if I can just start a war between the ones hating odd numbers and those perverse enough to bring back the totals to odd numbers there might be a " "spurt " " of donations driving the totals to an alternating fight of odd and even numbers.

( It's hard work being an evil genius. Razz Razz Razz Laughing Out Loud ..... Cool ).

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ha ha ha ha ha...... Evil

Only the even numbers will survive.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like the even and odd numbered Star Trek Movies - even: good, odd: bad -- until 9 and 10: both bad
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Ha ha ha ha ha...... Evil

Only the even numbers will survive.

Someone got " clever " ( Anonymous ..... Hmmmmmmm ??? ) and donated a dollar ( Appreciate in any case. Wink Cool ).

But it's much much more than odds and evens for the truly OCD it's also about nice round numbers like $2000 , $2,010, $2020 ....... $2400 ...... $3000 Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

So $2004 can be as irritating as $2007 ( Hmmmmm: $2005 is a tweener between irritating and a nice round $2010 ). Eek! Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yearly Donation Drive
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: