myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yearly Donation Drive Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well that seemed to only work a little bit since we are up to $1895 and stuck there for the last couple of days. Sad

Anyone willing to put in $5 or $15 ( to be eligible for the prizes ) to get it past $1900.

After this still $100 to get to $2000.

Don't forget all the fun and pleasure you guys get from the site.

I do notice that many who are new members or longterm members who rarely or never post have stepped up to made a donation.

Some of the frequent posters who haven't donated yet should maybe consider doing so if their financial situation allows it. Those getting a lot out of the site should be more motivated to keep it going and also not let Nathan carry the ball of paying any of the hosting costs ! Nathan does this because he wants to do it but he spends each year at lot more than just the hosting costs but at least the basic costs of running the place should not be something he should have to worry about.

Oh, and just because some may feel that giving just $10 is not enough because they might rather donate more, but can't afford to give more, they should give that $10. Wink Like I have said since the beginning if enough people give $10 it shouldn't be a burden for anyone not in seriously bad financial shape ! ( And I understand that many of you may be counting your pennies to pay for food or rent so my words aren't meant for them, only those who appreciate the site and can afford the $10 ).

Note: If people really can't afford more than $5, just donate that and it will help even if it is not enough to qualify for the prizes: Some of you do want to help and the prizes are just there to make the donation drive more fun and not your main reason to want to donate. ( If you feel embarrassed by giving just $5 don't be: It is appreciated as money but also because more people who take the trouble to donate is very good for Nathan's and my morale in having this place supported as widely as possible. If you feel uncomfortable with a small donation just do it anonymously. Wink Cool ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Thanks to this site...well, everything I do in this field is thanks to this site. But, continuing the family connection theme, following a link posted here I discovered a cache of Flynt ancestors who were archers in the 100 Years War, including one who was probably at Agincourt. The information here also led me to realize that another ancestor who was known to have died March 29, 1461, was among the slaughtered Lancastrians at Towton. And, of course, the research and writing I did for my Virigina Muster article taught me an enormous amount about the first of my name to arrive in this country. This site gives me insight in the lives (and deaths) of those men. All as a result of Nathan's dedication to this work!

We could use more stories like these and if you have one please feel free to post to this Topic whether you have made a financial contribution or not: Good stories about why you like the site or why it has value to you can motivate others to donate even if at this time you can't afford to financially contribute.

These stories also add value to the Topic as an interesting read as well as a way to bump up the Topic. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Philip Montgomery wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yes it's that time of year again or even a little later than usual.

I just made a very modest donation, and I encourage everyone else to give what they can. I love this site. I have learned so much here. I am fascinated by the forums, the resources, the great store of knowledge residing in the membership. This is a great place. Thanks to everybody who makes this place happen.

Another example of what I'm talking about helping to motivate others to donate.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I've covered how I found myArmoury in previous threads; it's not terribly exciting. Happy One thing I've been thinking about lately, though, is not how I found myArmoury but why I stick around and spend so much time here; why I want to spend the hours I have writing, editing, brainstorming, moderating, etc. It's not because I have nothing better to do. Well, sometimes it is... Happy

It's really because I find this place to be so interesting: the people, the discussions, everything. Sure, I love reading topics, especially those on things about which I know nothing. Happy I learn things all the time. But, for me, it's the people that keep me coming back. I've met so many great people here. I've been able to interact with major smiths, vendors, researchers, etc. in an atmosphere where they don't act superior and where they feel comfortable interacting and sharing info with regular Joes like me. I've been able to meet people (relatively) local to me and we get together periodically and shoot the breeze, show off new toys, and scare the hell out of my neighbors. Happy I've also met other great folks here, more than I can count.

Without this place, my collection wouldn't be as nifty. Nor would my library. But more importantly, I wouldn't have had the chance to meet so many great people, even if we've only met virtually. I've made good friends here. For me, that's why myArmoury is worth the time and occasional headache. It's also why I make a donation to these fund drives. I know what my buddy spends to run this place and I like being able to help him do that as a small token of thanks for putting it (and keeping it) together. I value the atmosphere that Nathan has created and nurtured, because it brings in the kind of people around that I want to hang out with.

For me, it's worth the time and effort and certainly worth making a donation to help keep running. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MEGA BUMP: Here is a link to last years donation drive with nice graphics at the end ( My older Photoshop7 is not compatible with an Intel based MAC .... Sad Cry so I can't use drawings this year to encourage donations ).

Anyway, lots of good and still valid posts by people last year telling personal stories of why they like the site and it's value to them.

So, with this link you can read a whole bunch of arguments from last year about why to donate. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

Graphics on the last two pages.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure Jean is happy to see the latest donations and some general upward movement toward the goal. We're not that far away! We just need the generosity to continue. Happy
Happy

ChadA

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan had said on a few occasions that this forum was really never meant to be the main focus of the site. While the main page and incredible additions of data with the articles to the site; One has driven the other (I think) in that more discussion has fostered more submissions, while the stored information has driven discussion. I have always enjoyed the very basic structure of the board index here itself and it does seem like just enough can be more than enough. While I am truly not one of the original internet spathanauts out here, I have come across a quite few that at least qualify as early electronic adventurers of these interests for a couple of decades now. Whether the main site or the board itself is the most important to visitors, it is surely true that the whole is amongst the best content driven internet resources for historic European arms over a couple of millennium.

Cheers

GC
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm sure Jean is happy to see the latest donations and some general upward movement toward the goal. We're not that far away! We just need the generosity to continue. Happy

That would be a yes and to celebrate I just donate $33 to get us over the $2000 mark.

Why $33 instead of $30. Question Wink Razz Just because I'm evil Evil and it might force the OCD people among us to round out the number as it worked at least once, why not again. Razz

I also joked/threatened before to add $3 just to get back to an uneven number. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Now if I can just start a war between the ones hating odd numbers and those perverse enough to bring back the totals to odd numbers there might be a " "spurt " " of donations driving the totals to an alternating fight of odd and even numbers.

( It's hard work being an evil genius. Razz Razz Razz Laughing Out Loud ..... Cool ).

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ha ha ha ha ha...... Evil

Only the even numbers will survive.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like the even and odd numbered Star Trek Movies - even: good, odd: bad -- until 9 and 10: both bad
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Ha ha ha ha ha...... Evil

Only the even numbers will survive.

Someone got " clever " ( Anonymous ..... Hmmmmmmm ??? ) and donated a dollar ( Appreciate in any case. Wink Cool ).

But it's much much more than odds and evens for the truly OCD it's also about nice round numbers like $2000 , $2,010, $2020 ....... $2400 ...... $3000 Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

So $2004 can be as irritating as $2007 ( Hmmmmm: $2005 is a tweener between irritating and a nice round $2010 ). Eek! Big Grin

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Up to 68 donations and $2075 so things are moving forward again and if the pace keeps up I think we have a decent chance of meeting the objective but we are there yet. Wink

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far. Happy Cool

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here is my two pence/cents worth.............

The best thing about this site is the circular nature of it (nice and harmonious for Jean). Everybody here is curious and interested about these things and a few have the tools, ability, time or desire to make their own pieces, everybody else has to take what the manufacturers offer.

Because of the expansion of knowledge that this site (Initiated by Nathan Et Al and fuelled by you lot) has allowed in myself, and I am sure other manufacturers as well, the quality and breadth of what I can offer has increased massively since I have been hanging out here. That means as a group of manufacturers, we can offer a better specified, more accurate and better made product to you lot.

In a nutshell - you lot talking about stuff = better stuff in your collections and this has been possible by the efforts of Nathan and the moderating team.

Please all take a moment to congratulate yourselves; seriously you have collectively helped acheive something great. And then dig down a little and pay back Nathan for what he is doing- will $5 or $10 hurt in exchange for everything this site has provided for you?

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Leo for the good words and I certain that " myArmoury " had a great impact on helping makers get known and develop their work by both general readings of the material here and with specific discussions asking for ideas or getting feedback about their work.

Nathan has another Contest going at the same time so there are even more prizes one can win with a Donation to this fund drive.

As cross reference here is a link to the info for the other Contest:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20966

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Less than $500 to go. Happy
Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Because of the expansion of knowledge that this site (Initiated by Nathan Et Al and fuelled by you lot) has allowed in myself, and I am sure other manufacturers as well, the quality and breadth of what I can offer has increased massively since I have been hanging out here. That means as a group of manufacturers, we can offer a better specified, more accurate and better made product to you lot.

In a nutshell - you lot talking about stuff = better stuff in your collections and this has been possible by the efforts of Nathan and the moderating team.

Tod,
This is actually one of the key goals of the site: creating a place where the interaction of producers and consumers results in a better situation for both. It's cool when things like that actually work out.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Nathan had said on a few occasions that this forum was really never meant to be the main focus of the site. While the main page and incredible additions of data with the articles to the site; One has driven the other (I think) in that more discussion has fostered more submissions, while the stored information has driven discussion. I have always enjoyed the very basic structure of the board index here itself and it does seem like just enough can be more than enough. While I am truly not one of the original internet spathanauts out here, I have come across a quite few that at least qualify as early electronic adventurers of these interests for a couple of decades now. Whether the main site or the board itself is the most important to visitors, it is surely true that the whole is amongst the best content driven internet resources for historic European arms over a couple of millennium.

Cheers

GC

Glen,
Thanks! I agree that there is a symbiotic relationship between the content and the forums. There remains a large contingent on the forum who don't go to the other pages as well as a huge contingent that reads articles/reviews/etc. but never comes here. But despite all that, there is a very loyal core who do both and one does drive the other.

In some ways, I miss the every-two-week publication schedule we maintained all those years. It was a pile of work and stress, but it was a constant stream of content. Reality forced us to go to an irregular/occasional publication schedule. But we still have some cool things in the pipeline and I hope that, as people see them published, there will be more interest in future submissions and forum discussions.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really appreciate the posts by others giving " backstories " about why they find the site valuable. ( And having others bump up the Topic, because if I'm the only one doing it it feels like nagging people which may be necessary to keep the donations flowing but is more boring than having people participate not only by donating money but by donating a bit of their time to help me keep the enthusiasm going for donation ).

The donations are trickling in at a slow but steady pace and if people keep it up we may be able to reach the objective or maybe surpass it by a small margin.

A bit over a week left to donate.

Note an interesting mix of long term members/new members, frequent posters/non-posters or very low frequency posters donating: There are obviously a good number of people who just read the Forums or other site content but rarely post who do feel motivated to donate. Happy Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

The donations are trickling in at a slow but steady pace and if people keep it up we may be able to reach the objective or maybe surpass it by a small margin.

A bit over a week left to donate.

Well wrote too soon or jinxed it as donations seem stalled today. Sad Cry

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 04 Oct, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A things are back in motion and we are at $2195 so we are closing in " slowly " on the donation target but it's sort of a fingernail biter for me. Wink Big Grin Cool

Oh, just a thought: Many of you already contribute with an enhanced membership and have been doing so for many years
( This is also a way to contribute and participate in the donation drive and the contest) but maybe those who already had/have an enhanced membership might consider as small additional donation of $5 ( or more )

Since you are already entered in the contest you don't have to be concerned about the $10 minimum to qualify for the prizes: So an extra $5 - $6 - $7 - $8 - $9 helps also and not an issue of not being eligible as if it was your only donation.

If someone has already contributed the minimum $10 to qualify you could make an additional contribution should you so desire as this year the odds of winning are not affected by the amount donated.

Thanks to everyone who has already contributed I'm just trying to motivate a little extra effort since we are so close to getting to the objective and I myself have donated more than once this year and I did this sort of repeat donation in previous years, so at least I'm not suggesting something I haven't done myself. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

( EDITED: Just followed my own advice and added a small extra donation and we are now over $2200. Wink )

Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Mon 04 Oct, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there a way to donate and become a higher member without going through pay pal?
Im very skeptical giving away my info through computers no matter how safe it is.
But Id like to pay for the 25 dollar a year membership and donate as well

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yearly Donation Drive
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: