Go to page Previous  1, 2

Well, since I intend to go all 13th Century, I'm not sure how valid my opinion is but I'd say choose both. (?)
That is to say a more flexible multi-layered quilted aketon/arming jacket worn under a 'stuffed' gambeson/jack. And whilst I'm sure using good linen for the contruction of both is nice, maybe using what ever natural fibre you can lay your hands on and recycle may be the way? (Well, that's what I intend to do anyway [or rather aketon, then maille, then gambeson, then surcoat/tabard].)
Curse textile armour and its various names! :lol:
Michael Edelson wrote:
Those who want to learn more about the efficacy of multi-layered linen textile defenses may enjoy the following:

http://www.newyorklongsword.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285

Also, in my experience, stuffed quilted garments provide vastly inferior defensive capabilies when compared to multi layered garments.

It is interesting. . .However we have done tests like this ourselfs, and with quite different results. If you take 30 layers of tight woven Falx, instead of linen, you will have a way stronger backing. Some of our tests, would result in our guys simply hanging on the spear, because the spear didn't stand a chance. This was a forged, hardened and tempered spring steel spearhead, as pointy as a machine needle. So from what I remember from our own tests, tight flax is far stronger. . .A katana is a very nice cutting tool, until it meets up with mr. riveted maille, trus me ;)
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: