Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bloodgroove/Fuller = Blodrille/? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Søren Niedziella

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Bloodgroove/Fuller = Blodrille/?         Reply with quote

Hi

Ever since I started to browse the forums (here and swordforum) - and dicovered that a bloodgroove really should be called a fuller - I've been wondering if what the correct danish term would be? In danish it's called a "blodrille" and in swedish a "blodskåra" (although Ränna seems to be the proper swedish term). Does anybody (maybe Peter Johnsson) know of any other danish words for fuller other than blodrille? Are there any danish medieval or viking manuscripts that describe mentions a fuller?

Thanks

Søren
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bloodgroove/Fuller = Blodrille/?         Reply with quote

Hej Søren!

I am sorry, but my Danish is too limited to say what the danish words would be.
I would not be surpriced if a historical term indeed is "Bloodgrove" or similar.
That does not mean the word was intended to really describe the function of the fuller, just that it is a good "poetic" description.
Would "rille" be a usefull word in Danish today?
S. Bjelke

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blodrenne or blodrille is used in everyday norwegian. But I have yet not heard a propper proffesional term for it. Normaly I would just say fuller if speaking to someone hwo has some intrest. And use the other terms when expleaining to others.

Both blodrenne and blodrille refers to that it is a grove to extract blod from a victim with. Wich as I understand it is not. I have not discoverd any propper word for it, either in todays language(norwegian) or through old nordic history, poetry and mythology.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another norwegian term for fuller is "hulslipning"...
I don't know if it is historical, but at least you avoid the blood draining myth.

Yours
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bloodgroove/Fuller = Blodrille/?         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hej Søren!

I am sorry, but my Danish is too limited to say what the danish words would be.
I would not be surpriced if a historical term indeed is "Bloodgrove" or similar.
That does not mean the word was intended to really describe the function of the fuller, just that it is a good "poetic" description.
Would "rille" be a usefull word in Danish today?

Isn't a rille a stream (like the one on the moon, except that isn't a stream of course ..........)?
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Blodrille, blodrenne and blodrand is commonly used in norwegian, but they are just as misleading as the word bloodgroove. (exactly the same word, in fact.) I have seen it described as simply a "renne" or "fure".

I study archaeology, and there is a smith called Kasper Andresen who has worked quite a bit with the museum, studying weapons and other forged artrefacts. He has made quite a few viking sword replicas and he preferres calling the fuller a "steg". I'll try to explain what he means by that. An "I" beam is made up of three flat pieces of bar stock, like this:

I----I The space between the two vertical plates are called a "steg"

He uses this term because, like he says: "The "steg" seves a mechanical purpose. It provides rigidity in the diretion of the cut, and flexibility when the blade is bent, and has absolutely nothing to do with the running of blood."
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Another norwegian term for fuller is "hulslipning"...
I don't know if it is historical, but at least you avoid the blood draining myth.

Yours

Jupp, "hulsliping" is also used, but it means "hollowgrinding" which can be used on the flats as well as the fuller, every time you use it, even to other sword people, you have to be specific, to avoid confusion..
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, we had this discussion on the scandinavian forum on SFI, and one of the iaido guys suggested (in jest) "susekanal" (eng, swishing groove/channel), which kinda stuck with me and Karl Eide, at least. Big Grin
"Oooh, dobbel susekanal. Kinky." Cool
Søren Niedziella

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers! I've also come across "hulslipning" but as you say the confusion with hollowgrinding makes it less than perfect. "Rille" is a good idea - but I think I go with "Susekanal" Big Grin (Thanks Einar!). I've sent a mail to the editors of the "Old danish dictionary" - they work with all danish medieval manuscripts - and hope they can help.

Thanks

Søren
Stephen Wittsell

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
BTW, we had this discussion on the scandinavian forum on SFI, and one of the iaido guys suggested (in jest) "susekanal" (eng, swishing groove/channel), which kinda stuck with me and Karl Eide, at least. Big Grin
"Oooh, dobbel susekanal. Kinky." Cool

You guys are twisted. I like that! Wink

Steve

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bloodgroove/Fuller = Blodrille/?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic