Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first sword, Radek Lobko: Richard III, King of England Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: My first sword, Radek Lobko: Richard III, King of England         Reply with quote

I finally got enough money to buy me a sword of my own. I needed a budget blade for training Fiore and was thinking of buying a Lutel or a Pavel Moc, but someone recommended Radek as an alternative and I happened to like the appearance of Richard III very much. Radeks site is www.swordcutler.com. After a brief e-mail discussion with Radek, I ordered the sword, which was ready in two weeks. The problem was that I ordered it in the summer and Radek seems to be a very busy man during the "sword happening" season, so it took a month for the sword to get here =( Otherwise the communication was pleasant and informative. The sword had some rust at the tip of the blade and some on the pommel when it arrived, which were easy to remove though. The grip is a bit too thick for my relatively small hands, but otherwise I'm very pleased with the way it handles. Me like. It cost 280 € plus 25 € for the shipment, so I think the sword has an excellent price-to-quality ratio. Here's the stats and some pics:

These stats were provided by Radek:
Grade 14260 steel (alloy-low chromium steel) with the following content:
C 0.50-0.60
Mn 0.50-0.80
Si 1.30-1.60
Cr 0.50-0.70.
Hardness is 50 - 52 HRC.

These are my own measurements:
Overall length: 115,5 cm
Blade length: 90 cm
Blade thickness: ~4,5 mm
Leather part of grip: 18 cm
Pommel: 7 cm
Crossguard length: 21 cm
Blade width at the base: 4 cm
Point of balance: 11 cm from the crossguard
Point of percussion: ~56 cm from the crossguard
Weight is approximately just under 1,6 kg

Attachment: 38.04 KB
overallold.jpg

Attachment: 21.99 KB
hilt.jpg

Attachment: 13 KB
pommelside.jpg
You can see some of the rust here...

Attachment: 25.09 KB
overall.jpg

Last edited by Risto Rautiainen on Thu 14 Apr, 2005 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really quite nice. I'd like to know more about the maker. The photos of scabbards and suspension systems on his site are interesting too.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. It really looks like a nice sword for that price point.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing how solid smiths seem to keep showing up in CZK.

Mini hotbed from the looks of things.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Scabbards and Belts         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's really quite nice. I'd like to know more about the maker. The photos of scabbards and suspension systems on his site are interesting too.

Nice site. I agree with you Nathan. This guy could make a living here in the US just selling scabbards, suspensions and belts. The artistry is amazing and I have not seen anyone offer that many different suspensions systems. The swords and daggers are quite nice. Did this guy study with Pavel Moc?
Risto Rautiainen

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About the scabbards on the site. I think there is one manufacturer in Czech which seems to make all of the sheaths that the swordmakers sell. I have seen sheaths that came with swords from three different swordmakers(Pavel, Grex and perhaps Lutel), and they were all very much alike. The sheaths are quite pricy, (you know for just being tubes of leather), about 90 €, but I guess that's because they are made specifically for each blade.

The price range of Radeks swords is from 170 to 470 euros. Oh, and he seems to mix octagonal and hexagonal, because my pommel is hexagonal, not octagonal as the website claims. Happy I heard somewhere too that he worked (or studied) with Pavel. That was actually the reason I dared to try out his sword without seeing and handling one.
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Radek Lobko         Reply with quote

Risto Rautiainen wrote:
The price range of Radeks swords is from 170 to 470 euros.

I guess we Slovenians get the Czech prices for his swords, because starting prices for our market are 130 Euros for one and a half handed swords, plus P&P, which is around 20 Euros.

Radek Lobko and his company DÍLNA SVATÉHO PATRIKA are very well known here in Slovenia for the past few years. He offers wide variety of swords for stage combat / re-enactment / sword practice, rebated to about 2.5 mm wide edge. Swords are very well balanced for rebated swords - blades are quite narrow on all models, and they have proper distal taper (rare thing at this price range). I have yet to see his swords to fail or get some serious damage - although light, they are well made, well tempered and well constructed (riveted pommel, wide tang). The only problem I saw was that leather grip unglues after a while (at serious use) - but can easily be fixed. Several groups here order his swords exclusively (well, and Pavel Moc’s). Lobko is opened to alterations of his existing models, and does that with very little extra payment – you just have to wait longer. His waiting line varies much, as Risto mentioned. He is well known for his good swords in Czech, and many re-enactment groups use them.

I recommend Lobkos swords without any hesitation. Finish is not perfect, but blades and fittings are nice and well executed. I think these swords are just perfect for serious sparring, be it blade on blade blocking or more correct one. One and a half handed swords weigh around 1,5 kg, which is very good for rebated swords. The only drawback I know of is limited variety of blades – they all come in very similar shape – XVII-sh or XVa-ish. I’d really love some XIIa or even XIII from him.

Oh, and I really should not be telling this to you – I’ll be ordering a sword for my girlfriend from him as soon as I choose a model (she’s longer in re-enactment business than I), and I don’t want waiting list to get longer. So hold on a bit with your orders, please?

Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 39.39 KB
Lobko mec.jpg
My friend's sword from Lobko, made to his drawings. Resembles Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) a bit.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Lobko         Reply with quote

One more picture of his work, some items here are custom work, but the longsword is "Vladislas II. King of Bohemia and Hungary" (186 Euro pricetag here), very nice sword (my friend has one):

Attachment: 21.18 KB
26_01.jpg

Risto Rautiainen

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually now that you mention it, this blade has no distal taper at all. I didn't measure it with a calliper, but even with a ruler you can tell that it doesn't taper for even a half millimeters. Is this a characteristic in XVIIIa -blades?
Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps. It tapers very strongly in the width, and with the reduced thickness the blade would become too weak at the tip for successful thrusts. I would imagine that original medieval sword like that would have a thick reinforced ridge at the tip, which would not be very flat. But I don't know, really.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first sword, Radek Lobko: Richard III, King of England
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic