Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2011? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A proper belt grinder...asap.

No ready made swords for me this year...I have too much Albion moat blades lying around my place. Any money I have to spare for the hobby will go into equipments (that's the theory...let's see how that goes Happy

Julien
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Budget permitting here's my starter list:

A war hammer (Note: I just ordered the "German War Hammer" by Windlass from KOA, I'll let y'all know what I think of it when it reaches the Great American Frontier)

A scabbard for my Albion Squire Line 15th Cent Bastard Sword (It's in work at a local shop)

An A&A Dane Axe

Arming Jacket; most likely suspect at this point is the one offered by By the Sword. In hunter green if you must know, plus an arming cap.

Shield. I plan to make my own, and one for the wife, probably round Viking/Saxon types. No it won't be an exact historically correct piece, I just want it to work. I used to make costume shields out of cardboard and wood when I was a kid based on pics and drawings of historical ones so I think it should turn out good if my fabrication skills don't let me down.

Maille hauberk or haubergeon and coif (heck the wife's already got one so I'm feelin' out gunned)

Hundsgugel bascinet

Arming sword. This might be a stretch since I just bought the Albion a few month ago.

Long term I'd like to put together a believable Agincourt kit for a mid-level knight or man at arms, hence the arming jacket instead of a gambeson so it will go with the allwite harness I hope to put together as time goes by. If I do it right, that set up when mixed with some other pieces should let me move through out the Hundred Years War.

"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I've been looking more closely at falchions lately, so probably add that to the list as well. I might even get one of those before an arming sword. Big Grin
"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On my list:

Finishing my sword belt

Making a viking/ Charlemagne type scabbard for Tim. Wink

Making a new Viking shield with leather or linen facing.

Finishing forging the spear tip and making an complete ash staff spear of it.

Making a scabbard for my second Skramaseax.

Making a new viking helmet.

Making leg and arm splints.

Finishing the maille haubergon. I'm just rebuilding an old one that needs widening and shortening.

As for buying materials, I'm hoping to pick up more blades for another sword project. Albion perhaps, although I'm very pleased with my Tinker blades so far.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Tim Jorgensen

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2011 is full of ideas for things I'd like to accomplish for myself and our festival, The Midwest Viking Festival.

As for my personal kit, I'm working on finishing a my first scabbard (Thanks for the help Johan!) - a linen one for a Tinker Viking (sharp) and a leather-covered one for a blunt-edged Viking sword, maybe I'll try a DSA one since they've been so generous in donating two swords to our museum. The museum donations should arrive in mid-Feb. One will be "excavation condition." I'll post pics. We're excited.

Johan Gemvik is working on a linen scabbard for our museum at The Hjemkomst Center. The research and discussions have been a blast and we appreciate his help.

Last year I made my first seax and a boss. I realized smiting is not my calling. So I'm looking for two langseaxes. I'll buy one for myself, but I'd like to find one for the museum as well. When our staff goes for outreach lectures, the kids always want to stab something. Well, the boys do.

Cainmaille. At the very least, I'd love a little sample to use for museum outreach and exhibition. At the very most, I'd like a full shirt so we can display warrior clothing. I suppose if I take up fighting I'll want one for myself too. Uff da.

Some new shield bosses are in order. We'll be getting a French intern to help with the festival, and I think he should have a boss based on one found there. We've got to strive for historical accuracy where we can. I'm working on my first linen-faced shield right now.

My last purchase of 2010 was a Viking helm from my pal Stu in UK. My first purchase of 2011 was a used A&A Dane axe ($100 on the Minneapolis Craigslist). Good deal. Must chop around before you buy things like that.

Aside from bosses and blades, I'll be busy trying to recreate all (almost all) other aspects of Viking culture for our festival and exhibit: fiber demos, cooking, tents, woodwork, leatherwork, etc. Be in touch if you'd like to help.

Tim Jorgensen
Midwest Viking Festival Coordinator
Hjemkomst Center
http://www.hcscconline.org/secondarypages/mid...tival.html
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Jorgensen wrote:
My first purchase of 2011 was a used A&A Dane axe ($100 on the Minneapolis Craigslist). Good deal. Must chop around before you buy things like that.

I noticed that Craigslist posting as well and wondered who beat me to it. Congratulations on a bargain and a nice start on 2011! Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
D. Bell

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First up for me this year is a sword from Patrick Barta, which I've been looking forward to for some time. After I've got my hands on that I'm hoping to pick up one of Neil Burridge's bronze age swords, which will be somewhat different from what I usually collect. I'll also be looking for someone to make me a 12th-13th mace or two since I can't find anyone offering quite what I'm after.

Based on past experience there's a good chance I'll buy a seax at some point but I don't have anything in particular in mind right now. Any money left in the budget is likely to be put towards future projects.

An armed society is a polite society.
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a type XVI of an as yet unreleased model being made by Gus Trim. it should be done sometime in the next month or two.

once I have that I am going to try and convince Gus to make me a 1591. I think I have him pretty much convinced to do it, we'll see what happens when I put my money where my mouth is.

after that I want a more standard length longsword probably in XVIIIa or XVIIIb

I want to get my prototype Austrian Great Sword re-gripped by Christian Fletcher

after that I'm not sure what this year will hold, I'm sure there will be one or two swords I simply must buy once I get the chance to meet them.

maybe I'll get another scabbard made by Sonny at Valiant Armory's Custom Sword Shoppe.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
i hope to finish a few kits this year. clean up the loose ends as it were. heres to the 5th BC Greek, 3rd BC Etruscan, 1360 English man at arms, 1774 Militia, 1880 wild west, 1970s Navy Chief

1880s wild west

welp, just need a jacket and this one can be put to rest. well I need all of the little things but my body kit is done anyways. Looking at this jacket in black of course: http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=CM9 Happy next week I finish up my linen shirt and waistcoat for my 1774 kit. will hopefully have pictures of that by the weekend

enjoy the pictures:
http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/reena...ld%20West/
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok - so it's a bit into 2011, and I think I commented earlier about scabbards or somesuch. Well, I've been reconsidering, and have decided a pole-arm of the late 14th/very early 15th of Germanic persuasion is on the list. I completed the first step in the process today: I just received my copy of Waldman's Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe.

Now the SERIOUS research and brainstorming can begin. Big Grin
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Couple of swords from Arma Bohemia.

An open faced sallet from from Pavel Marek.

I'll need some points...might go to Matuls for those.

Then I'm thinking its time for a new video card in the computer, some new PC speakers, and either a new racing bike (which I don't need) or some sexy carbon aero (forgot to note the carbon bit on the initial post) racing wheels (which I don't need) so I can go faster!!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 27 Apr, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Domanski

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
and either a new racing bike (which I don't need) or some sexy racing wheels (which I don't need)

...as opposed to a couple of swords and a sallet, which will undoubtedly come in handy at some point? Wink Sorry, couldn't help it, just a little joke of mine.

What's on my list for 2011? Well, there is a rather large 1st century Roman legionnaire kit project I ought to work on, so I'm out hunting for a nice lorica hamata, which can be pricey, but IMO well worth it if done right. Ooh, and maybe a craftsman who actually sticks to his own deadlines, that would be a welcome change from last year(and the better part of this one, too) Happy
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Essentially just working on finishing up my early 15th century kit and expanding my Old West 1880's kit (Funny to see another fellow here working in the same decade!)

As far as the early 15th c. kit goes, I've got a very nice custom XVIII type longsword being worked on by Valiant Armoury with a blade by angus trim. It's got the Malatesta fittings, but a more appropriate blade style for this era. The custom tooling on the scabbard should be a site to see.

I also need to get my hourglass gauntlets ordered and get my globose breastplate converted into a complete cuirass. Not to mention finding the cash for full greaves...

Here's a recent shot of the 1880's kit thus far. I've got a much finer beaver hat currently in the works, as well as a fine 12 gauge cartridge belt. My gun rig is usually a significantly darker brown...I'm not quite sure why it turned up a light brownish red here.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Domanski wrote:

...as opposed to a couple of swords and a sallet, which will undoubtedly come in handy at some point? Wink Sorry, couldn't help it, just a little joke of mine.Happy

Well context of the thread and all... Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm pretty much out of room in my display stand, so one purchase might be a jigsaw and a little bit of lumber to add onto it.

Now that's the spirit!

On my list, worthy of discussion:

Another scabbard and chappe ('rain guard') combo from Russ Ellis (complete & soon en route). This is his second chappe, so he could really lock in his technique for them ... and he now lists them as a standard option on his site, so that's one coup ticked off the list!

And, er ... two scabbards with chappes from Brian at DBK in an attempt to get them on his list of services also! (More than happy being the guinea pig for y'all!) Big Grin

Tod and I have had very early conversations on cooking up a Bauernwehr with a bird's beak-ish pommel, turned down guard and sharpeded clip point, so that its design and handling is much like a proper fighting Bowie, but at first glance, it will just say 'Bauernwehr'. Every element will be historically documented, so that the whole might be 'historically plausible'. (I, for one, can't believe that those Germans didn't know how to deliver a solid back-cut, back in the day ...)

Similarly, an A&A dagger based on an old pattern, with ball finials, to increase torque & acceleration when performing disengages - on a blade pattern that pre-dated 'dedicated' parrying daggers. [Point of curiosity: we have a lot of threads here about the performance and handling characteristics of swords, but almost nothing on the performance and handling characteristics of the more-common shorter edged weapons ...]

Oh, and probably one or two other things I'm leaving out ... Wink

And perhaps a little addition to the 'sallet family'. One day, I might just have to start a 'My sallet collection' thread. As Pop Will Eat Itself used to say 'One's too many, ten's not enough ...'

And some training. Lots of training. Not point having toys unless you can play!

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I decide to buy another bike I'll almost certainly have to sell some other toys! Getting back into cycling has streamlined my sword collecting quite a bit.

Altamira...

Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
If I decide to buy another bike I'll almost certainly have to sell some other toys! Getting back into cycling has streamlined my sword collecting quite a bit.

Altamira...

Joe, please do! I'm kicking myself for not having picked up two of your previous offerings! Big Grin

And, to echo you:

Sallets ...

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its May...things might just start coming due and in any day now since May was the target month for...well...stuff! Big Grin Eek! Exclamation
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Here's how my 2011 will start:

1. My commision with Patrick Barta is due in January! See my avatar for what he will be making for me.
2. A type X viking sword with Ulberth inlay and inlayed type H furniture made by Michael Pikula will be ready this year.
3. A viking sword with type Q furniture made by Michael Pikula.
4. A viking sword with type AE furniture, or a type Xa with a brazil nut made by Robert Moc.
5. Various scabbards.
6. Perhaps a type X with a brazil nut pommel by A&A.

Of course, I'll likely change my mind 50 times before I get any of it made. Except the Barta. I'm decided on that one. Oh, and the one by Michael Pikula as it's already paid for and I'm just waiting for it. And the scabbards, I'm just waiting for those too. It's the others I'll change my mind on...

Barta=done
Ulfberth inlayed (different inlay and type U inlayed pommel now)=in progress
Rus type Z with inlayed pommel by Robert Moc=in progress
scabbards=done and in progress (I have many swords which need them)
Viking type Q, AE, X, or Z=we'll see

At least I was right about the changing my mind part! (and the Barta)
J R Johnson

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will be purchasing the Albion Arn sword within the next couple of months and I'm in the Queue at DBK custom scabbards for a scabbard for it. Beyond that I'm looking hard at the Arms & Armor Black Prince sword and possibly the A&A 12th Century Sword. I might add that these swords are primarily for my collection as the aging process and physical maladies have pretty much rendered me "hors de combat" for any training or recreational cutting. I still enjoy collecting and handling these beautiful weapons though. Happy
Semper Paratus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2011?
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: