Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2011? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
The only thing for sure so far is the AA custom 'O' from the pay-it-forward contest. I've had a preliminary dicussion about commissioning something (likely late Viking Era) from a local swordsmith I have not tried before, but nothing firmed up yet.

PS - I plan to invest in some better display furniture. Last fall I discussed the basic design for vertical sword display with a local carpenter (he built some of our kitchen furniture and does wonderful work). If and when that comes about, I'll be sure to post a picture. This is a side of our hobby that tends to be undervalued.

Time for a progress report! The year has been more active than I expected.

1) A&A custom piece arrived (the current avatar)
2) Ollin Hart Sword from KoA
3) Albion Tritonia from myArmoury marketplace
4) Another A&A commission in the wings
5) Sword display case (actually some kind of glass case from Bombay Co. - looks great and not too expensive).

PS - almost forgot, got a Valiant scabbard for one of my older pieces.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya i was bad this year.
1903 Springfield 03A1
1760 officers fusil
1917 eddystone
1938 Mosin Nagant
Universal M1 Carbine
1851 navy cap n ball

Last edited by Chuck Russell on Sat 22 Oct, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matuls arming coat
Italian breast and back with faulds
A&A Spear
So far, that's all

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, 2011 isn't over yet but on the horizon there is;

A) Customized version of the A&A English Bill: Mostly just hardening the whole thing with somewhat harder edges with a resilliant body, unmounted that I will mount myself on an ash or white oak haft.

B) Not confirmed yet but looking into a Bardiche head from BKS that I will also mount myself, probably purchase through Kult of Athena. Ryan is looking into it and has been in touch with Matthew to maybe stock more of BKS polearms and axes.

C) Just purchased books and 1:33 sword & Buckler DVD as well as the Bartitsu DVD. from Freelance Academy press.
http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/

Might buy the Conan - Atlantean Sword, Windlass version when KoA has them in stock after I check out the quality/price ratio. ( Allways liked these but for the Albion versions to be worth it to me I would have to want this one a lot more. For a walhanger design I have casual interest in the Windlass might be just right. Now, the Albion is really the high end version and certainly should have more detail in the bronze hilt furniture that might be less precise and crisp in the Windlass version ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Luna wrote:
I've been looking for a smallsword for a while with a different kind of flair, and I've settled on this "French Smallsword" from Del Tin Armi Antiche:
[img]
After that, an Albion Squire Big Grin .
[img]
Both of these purchases will have to wait until at least June or later though, as my sword funds are being diverted to a study abroad program first.

Both my 2011 sword goals came true this season! I'm very pleased with my new acquisitions, and it's great that they came to fruition with some months to spare. Wink

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I have a British basket-hilt scheduled for completion by EB Erickson.

EBE works like clockwork. I received my hilt when it was expected and now it needs to have a blade made for it. It's a beautiful hilt.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I have two other hilts from EB Erickson that are at Ollin Sword Design having blades made and mounted to the hilts. These two projects are quite overdue already and I'm not sure when in 2011 they will be completed.

This didn't work out and I still have both hilts awaiting blades. One is with Arms & Armor currently and I do not know the status.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I have a couple daggers scheduled for 2011 from Tod's Stuff and am hoping for one by Arma Bohemia.

I received a Tod's Stuff baselard with boxwood grip early in the year and a ballock dagger from Tod is being shipped to me in just a matter of a few days. I was unable to get anything from Arma Bohemia this year.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'd like to have a custom piece made by Arms & Armor but I haven't anything concrete in mind and have not scheduled it with them.

As mentioned above, I ended up sending A&A a hilt from EB Erickson and would like to send two additional ones to them for blades. I also commissioned a custom project with them this year. They've been swamped all year, it seems, so I do not know the status of any of this, but there's a lot of work for them if they want it.

I also got an expected piece that I couldn't pass up. It is an amazing dirk from Vince Evans with a thick spine and Briar wood burl grip.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And so far, neither of these has happened so far this year. Manning gave me a completion date of 2012 (so, that will be on next years list). And so far no new bronzes. But I did pick up a couple unexpected items....
1. ArmArt/Richard Kazda Roman ring-hilt spatha
2. Paul Holwell Falcata
3. Old MRL/DT Scramasax
4. Old MRL/Windlass Greek Hoplite sword
5. A&A Viking axe

Funny how things just sort of happen like that..... these actually were things I'd been looking for, but didn't think they'd be available to me, at least not anytime soon. Well, they were... so there ya go....

David Wilson wrote:
1. A Manning Imperial Hoplite Xiphos with 24-inch blade
2. More bronze swords by Neil Burridge

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I have a British basket-hilt scheduled for completion by EB Erickson.

EBE works like clockwork. I received my hilt when it was expected and now it needs to have a blade made for it. It's a beautiful hilt.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I have two other hilts from EB Erickson that are at Ollin Sword Design having blades made and mounted to the hilts. These two projects are quite overdue already and I'm not sure when in 2011 they will be completed.

Nathan -- any photos of those hilts by EB Erickson. You know I love his work!

Sic Semper Tyranus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Nathan -- any photos of those hilts by EB Erickson. You know I love his work!

You've seen it, but here it is: My E.B. Erickson basket-hilt, circa 2011.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What's On Your List For 2011?         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I have orders for 2 custom 17th century swords that will be completed sometime in 2011.

From Arms and Armor - a classic Amsterdam Walloon

From E. B. ElJay Erickson - a Mortuary sword.

I have high anticipation for both these swords.

I still want to get one of Neil Burridge's Bronze swords, but I can't seem to pull the trigger.

I never did get around to ordering that bronze sword from Neil Burridge. Maybe I never will.

A couple of months ago I received the Walloon from A&A - a wonderful sword. There is a thread about it Here -- I'm on the waiting list for another sword from them - not sure when that will happen.

As for the Mortuary hilt, I asked ElJay to send it directly to Arms and Armor to be bladed. I haven't seen it yet in person, but hope to get it very soon. There is a thread about it Here
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Matuls arming coat
Italian breast and back with faulds
A&A Spear
So far, that's all

Waiting on two commissions from Arma Bohemia but I have no idea if those will come this year or not.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a nice year for the hobby. I received:

Barta type XI
Tod's stuff 14th. c. eating knife with silver bolster, end cap, and pin decorations, with a sheer steel blade
A Tod's stuff early medieval mace
Albion Vigil

Perhaps I wll receive a 12th. c. spear-head made by Patrick Barta before the end of the year.

I also FINALLY got around to having my Duke worked on by Albion-to have some nicks taken out. It is back and looks great.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to all of this - so far this year:

1) Albion Crecy
2) A&A Type L Axe
3) Mercenary's Tailor Viking Shield

I also have an A&A Type B Axe on order, and am eyeing-up a A&A Viking Spear that some guy on another forum has for sale.

Funny thing is, I don't really have a strong reason to be collecting all of these Viking items - just sort of happened. Now, I feel like I need to get a Viking helm and sword just to round things out.

I also think that a Ben Potter cutlass is in my future if I can figure out what I want. And, then there's the A&A Burgundian Poleaxe and Italian Pole Hammer on my list...

BTW: where do you guys put all of this stuff? I'm running out of room & I'm not sure my wife is crazy about me hanging it on the wall (although, that's an active discussion...)
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2011 has really been a spending year for me, although I'll credit that to the excitement of finally finding a group dedicated to historical fencing. Joining them has been the best move I've made in years. Big Grin

So far I've bought (in order) a gambeson from Matuls, a couple of training swords from Arms & Armor, a squire line sword from Albion and an arming doublet with hose from Historic Enterprises. On the line I've got a sallet helmet from Best Armour in transit to me and a blunt two-handed great sword from Lutel-Handicraft to be completed in late November this year. I'll also try to get myself a new pair of period leather boots.

Yes, I've certainly gouged into my funds for this year. The next one's going to be a pinchy one. Laughing Out Loud
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
On my list:

Finishing my sword belt

Making a viking/ Charlemagne type scabbard for Tim. Wink

Making a new Viking shield with leather or linen facing.

Finishing forging the spear tip and making an complete ash staff spear of it.

Making a scabbard for my second Skramaseax.

Making a new viking helmet.

Making leg and arm splints.

Finishing the maille haubergon. I'm just rebuilding an old one that needs widening and shortening.

As for buying materials, I'm hoping to pick up more blades for another sword project. Albion perhaps, although I'm very pleased with my Tinker blades so far.

v Viking War Spear is finished.

Most of the other projects were put on hold

But Instead I made these:

v Craftsmans axe. Head is acopy of a Finnish 11th century axe head, from Eura I think. Hand axed handle from and shafting that and I worked with axework alone from a thick branch that I had been drying carefully for a year before de-barking.

v Refurnished an antique 19th century adze with hand made ash shaft, also made by axe alone from a branch wood.

v Gjermundbu solid ring drop forge tools.

v Wedge cross section viking crafts knife blade.

v Hand sewn viking linen tunic.

I'm also working on a fairly large Seax, the original is a find in the Netherlands. The blade is almost finished.

I'm still in the late planning stages the helmet. I've made an aluminium mock up of the top that looks promising and I've cut out cardboard templates for the glasses. What has me stumped is that I want it to be authentic for re-eactment as well as safe for SCA fighting. But I think now I'd be better off just making one of each instead.

The sword belt is actually nearly finished, I just get easily bored with long stitching so I let it rest for a while.

Also, new project: Viking age soldered & tab riveted padlocks. I should have made some years ago really and I'll probably do this too before the helmet, or alternate between them.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Purchase or project completion in 2011

Sooner:
Breast/fauld from MT (due in a few weeks)
Sword inspired by paintings of Memling (ready to begin)
GDFB sallet project (in progress)

Later:
Bluing and turks' heads for A&A Town Guard
Rebuild/redesign for A&A Dürer
Austrian bastard sword ca. 1500
Single-hand sword ca. 1461
Early 15th c. falchion
Buckler
Morion-Cabasset

Dreams:
Mail standard
Jack or livery coat

I guess I did pretty well with this list, without even looking back at it. Got the MT breast (one of his last, I guess Sad ), finished and later sold the Memling sword, which turned out to be one of the best projects I've done, finished the GDFB sallet, finished the "Talhoffer" sword of ca. 1461, found a viable new design for the Dürer blade and started on an Austrian longsword. I'm just finishing a Hoplite costume for my son! Still a couple of months to go before my annual three-week blitz-build. I'll finish something then. Haven't decided which project to tackle in that space. Maybe that'll be my "Sword of St. Catherine" project.

Then I need to sell some stuff in advance of having an EBE comission in my greedy mitts next summer! Big Grin

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
I'll take a dive into the 15th century, to be more specific: into the 1480s. Three armor parts are already ordered:

A german halfvisored sallet, a bevor and a pair of gauntlets. All three are based upon existing pieces. Perhaps a breastplate with tassets will follow in summertime.

Several handmade clothings will accopany my new kit as soon as I find the time to make them.

So far, I achieved only half of my goals this year, I guess. I got my sallet, the bevor and the gauntlets. And I commissioned a breastplate in summer, which will be accompanied by shoulder and elbow parts plus a set of besagews.

But I didn't sew any of the clothings, I planned. For my gauntlets I also need to make a pair of leather gloves. But instead I found some time to make me a nice drawstring purse and 13th century braies. And I got some replicas of german mid-13th-century tableware (Siegburger Ware).

There are several more projects I won't be starting this year, due to lack of spare time:
- a scabbard for my longsword
- a bollockdagger (with one of Tods fine blades, already sitting here for months...)
- a 13th century (folding?) knife (our group did some experiments on smithing in august, resulting in some crude blades)

That's all,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm just finishing a Hoplite costume for my son!

Photo please? I'm dying here, a Hoplite armour was my ultimate dream as a kid. Well, that and a medieval great helm. Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm just finishing a Hoplite costume for my son!

Photo please? I'm dying here, a Hoplite armour was my ultimate dream as a kid. Well, that and a medieval great helm. Wink

Will do! Has to be ready to go in couple of days! Halloween is Monday.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get a good set of mid-13c knight kit finished (already have sejeant-ish stuff) - which needs:

Mail chausses fitting and a suspension system added
Mail sabatons finishing
Sleeveless Gamby to go over mail (should arrive soon)
New belt to make (have the strap ends/buckle/dye/strap etc.)
Surcote to adjust
Armoured collar to adjust to fit (a big job believe it or not)
New cervelliere (smaller than my current one so it fits well under mail coif)
Ventail fastenings to finish (Going for a cast hook system)
Leather or linen edgings to add around face of coif
Possibly make a left-hand integral muffler (already have the right done).
Pennant
Mantle to finish making for soft-kit (big semi-circular thing)

Hope to get most done by the spring!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2011?
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: