Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Norman,

The first 3 swords are not in my collection--I wish they were! I just wanted to post some nice examples of various styles.

That is a very attractive short saber. I have read that the blades were in their day kept quite sharp--thus the light weight would not be a detrimental factor. Of course, they have come down to us for the most part in a dulled state.

After small-swords, I am inclined toward cuttoes and short sabers of the same period. These types of swords immediately grabbed my interest when I first looked at Neumann's book back in the 1970s.
Here is a cuttoe from my collection--very nice balance with a hefty double-edged blade--not just a dress sword.

Attachment: 38.48 KB
cuttoe.jpg

Attachment: 34.04 KB
cuttoe2.jpg

Tom, Your first pic slays me! Tell me more about it, or better yet, show me. I also (suprisingly) liked the one with the porcelin grip. Is the boatshell from the French Revolution?
Morgan,

That 1st small-sword I ran across on the net--that's all i know about it--no description was with it. I would say it is c. 1760--bronze hilt, once gilt, with small decorative piques added--knot looks like a period one--blade looks like a nice business one. I thought you would like this one! :)

The porcelin gripped one is a beauty--perhaps a naval officer's, sword, but just as well could have been a civilian sword as military/naval motifs are no guarantee of military/naval use as you know.

The boat shell has the baronial helmet pommel rather than the liberty cap pommel--so I think it wa c. 1800-10, a napoleonic officer's sword--but of course that is a guess as it could have been French Revolution period as well--there is no cut and dry here. The blade is actually not as wide as later Restauration examples and handles like a small-sword--quite capable of small-sword applications--and the guard is symmetrical which indicates an early application, too, as later ones tended to be asymmetrical, often down tuned.

I really like the cuttoe. I imagine it could have served as a long naval dirk or short naval sword, too. It is quite wonderful in the hand and well made--not just a symbol of a gentleman's rank.
A charming small-sword with scabbard and carrier.

Attachment: 15.9 KB
sword and carrier.jpg

One of the Emperor's swords

Attachment: 24.03 KB
EpeeAusterlitzNapoleon.jpg

A fine cuttoe

Attachment: 8.15 KB
fine cuttoe.jpg

A nice short saber--plain but beautiful from its lines and form

Attachment: 10.28 KB
Short saber.jpg

Dear fellow students and collectors:

I have posted some photos of some wonderful swords with very brief descriptions. My intent was to say as little as possible (although my admiration shows through, I suppose) so that we might discuss them. Please do add your input--it is sought and most appreciated.
What is the length on the short-saber? Can you post a full profile pic of it. Oh, yes "the Emperors sword" Which emperor? Napoleon?
Morgan,

These are the only photos I have of the swords posted.

When I reference "the emperor" I mean Napoleon number 1.
Another late 18th century sword and hopefully inbound soon. A Francis Thurkle eaglehead pommel as described in the Mowbray book. This one more of a turkey head. These 18th century bird forms were found before being labeled as U.S. federal penchants, so the transitions are interesting to watch as the decades progressed. The Peterson bible also shows some of the bird pommels in the silver hilt section. An absolutely favorite from my files was a fine silver hilt sold through Peter Finer some years ago. Tom will like that one.

Cheers

GC

This last batch may have compressed too much. It also appears I must upgrade to attach any more ;) What a space hog I am and am showing attachments at 101%. I'll tag outside hosted stuff if need be.

Attachment: 43.75 KB
DSCN2753.JPG

Attachment: 35.3 KB
DSCN2754.JPG

Attachment: 48.86 KB
DSCN2755.JPG

Attachment: 49.36 KB
DSCN2756.JPG

Attachment: 52.91 KB
DSCN2759.JPG

Attachment: 45.91 KB
Finer.jpg

Attachment: 44.31 KB
Finer1.jpg

Attachment: 13.11 KB
Finer2.jpg

I do like the archaic or "chicken" eagle head pommels--they are so quaint.

It looks as if that "turkey head" has the silver applied as a sheet--or is it solid? There is an issue of Man at Arms that discusses American silver hilts--solid, plated (or "washed") and sheet silver--very informative.

These early sabers are awsome. And, of course, so are the cuttoes of the period!

Attachment: 12.96 KB
te1348.jpg

Attachment: 67.58 KB
q6291.jpg

Here is an interesting sword--a spadroon-small-sword mix, perhaps. I saw this and thought of Morgan for some reason.

Attachment: 30.52 KB
spadroon interesting.jpg

Tom Donoho wrote:
Here is an interesting sword--a spadroon-small-sword mix, perhaps. I saw this and thought of Morgan for some reason.

Right you are Tom! Very nice. Interesting to see that hilt combined with a colichmarde blade. Tell me the story of how you acquired one of Napoleon's swords.
Morgan,

I have posted some pics of my swords and some pics of swords I have run across on the internet. I don't have one of the emperor's swords--I wish I did!

My intent in posting swords in my collection and those floating out there was to generate discussion.

The one I posted of the emperor is the one he carried at Austerlitz.
Tom Donoho wrote:
I do like the archaic or "chicken" eagle head pommels--they are so quaint.

It looks as if that "turkey head" has the silver applied as a sheet--or is it solid? There is an issue of Man at Arms that discusses American silver hilts--solid, plated (or "washed") and sheet silver--very informative.

These early sabers are awsome. And, of course, so are the cuttoes of the period!

I am confused as I was regarding the turkey head as the golden Thurkle eagle. The Peter Finer piece I believe is solid silver. The plating and clad work is a really interesting topic worthy of a separate discussion at some point. I don't subscribe to Man At Arms but have to be grateful some of the articles do surface as shared here and there (hint, hint).

The Thurkle arrived today and after a bit of soft cleaning have revealed it to be very much still gilt. The following are some quick snaps of the progress and also falls into the previous question of patina and dirt, where to stop. Had this one shown little to no gilt remaining, I wouldn't even go further than stabilizing some rust and the grip (somewhat falling apart). Forgive the tape but that is temporary before doing some dental work. The Ivory is going to be a tough row to hoe. It looks like it had been a fireplace mantle queen and got cooked a bit at one point.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

What may look like a lot of scuffing in the last shot is really reflection from the lustre and in the other shots hard to capture the brilliance in quick snaps.

The grip would be a little bit of a hurdle to restore without just replacing it but I have something I am going to fiddle with after some stupor glue inside all of that. The blade is not in bad shape with some spotting and no real pits. However, a strike at some point seems to have caused the crack in the blade. Sound enough for careful handling though and definitely not a sword that covers the lawn of the eaglehead pommel market.

Cheers

GC.
Glen,

I use the term "chicken head" for primitive eagle heads. I never heard of "turkey head" until used here by you--I have now added that to my sword vocabulary--thanks.

I have a suggestion on the ivory/bone restoration: I have an American officer's sword with ivory plaque grips. When I got this way back when, it had an 1/8 inch sliver out of it at the tp. Knowing how these things can spread, I simply applied some clear drying Elmer's glue--building it up as it dried--kind of like the principle in applying lacquer. It has been in place for many years now with no further attention and has kept things from spreading and allows the ivory to show through. And it could always be removed. This is a nice fix in my opinion as it causes no damage and is removable if desired.

Oh, one can order back issues based on topics desired at Man at Arms--go to their website--costs are very reasonable, just a few bucks. I got nice issues with naval dirks and neo-classical ornament applied to small-swords--mint copies.
From Hermann Historica, an English cuttoe, 1780, 78 cm long

Attachment: 8.21 KB
cuttoe1780.jpg

Attachment: 18.74 KB
cuttoe1780_78cm.jpg

Here is a lovely sword that i just finished bidding and losing on Ebay. It is a very interesting late 18th century british infantry officer sword.(Private purchase). Very interesting. Had I been more stable financially I might have gone the distance on it. Oh well, I won't have to sell a perfectly good 1796 Infantry Officer Sword now.

Attachment: 129.46 KB
spad1.jpg

Attachment: 102.84 KB
spad 2.jpg

Attachment: 48.5 KB
spad3.jpg

Attachment: 119.4 KB
spad4.jpg

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Page 7 of 13

Jump to: