Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Full Metal Jousting... What? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ann Taylor wrote:
So an advertisement from pilgrim showed up on youtube tonight, I think I was the first one to watch it. In it someone states that there will be '16 guys'. Which leads me to think that maybe they won't be accepting any women's applications. I emailed them tonight, I'll let you know if I get a response.

Here's the YouTube TV spot for Full Metal Jousting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9ZX2fagho

I really hope they do this right and make it as much about history as it will be about entertainment. They have a great opportunity here to crush a lot of the myths about jousting and armor etc... let's hope they treat the subject with respect and don't make it about silly inter-personal drama and historically inaccurate armor and technique.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Rex Metcalf

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. La Spina,

I am applying for the show and I certainly hope you are right. I still have to get my video and online app e-mailed and I'm looking forward to hopefully learning alot....We'll see. My main motivation is learning an aspect of WMA that is often overlooked, riding some good horses and Learning from and competing with *hopefully* the best. The training alone makes this a golden opportunity, IMHO
Peter Remling

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding the horses used, in the demo, it looked like an Andalusian and a Fresian. If thats the case we'll be viewing some nice looking and semi accurate horse flesh.
W Luth

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

how did they figure those armours are 13th century though?
And the armour i just saw in the youtube trailer needs to be fitted properly and i don't see it happening in 5 weeks for 16 people :/
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fine looking animals, Pete. I finally got my app and video to the casting team and I wish the best of luck to the other riders here in their selection. I guess all of our questions will be answered soon enough Happy
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are using a compilation of a lot of videos that have been shot over the years.

The horses will, more than likely, be draft/crosses. Pretty much all that I have ridden doing this style of jousting and they are very "forgiving" and easy going. I really wouldn't want to put baby jousters up on hotblooded horses, especially since they will not have extensive training prior to their first jousts.

From what I have heard, they may be trying to "fit" the jousters to the armour. But, I am not involved and don't really know.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Waist size is one of the app questions Laughing Out Loud

Lloyd, from your perspective, what are some suggestions for us hopefuls who do own horses to be at least somewhat prepared if we are selected. Also it would be very interesting to hear what you think the main problem areas for beginners. I havent been selected and may not be, so at least at the moment these are purely academic questions.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rex Metcalf wrote:
Waist size is one of the app questions Laughing Out Loud

Lloyd, from your perspective, what are some suggestions for us hopefuls who do own horses to be at least somewhat prepared if we are selected. Also it would be very interesting to hear what you think the main problem areas for beginners. I havent been selected and may not be, so at least at the moment these are purely academic questions.

Hey Rex,

Well first and foremost you need to understand about how different your seat is in armour. Armour raises you center of balance about 7-8 inches. This isn't a problem riding straight, but corners will kill you. If there is anyway that you can either practice in armour or get a weighted vest and helmet to work on this, you will be miles ahead. Also, a trick that I have used in the past is to have my right stirrup one hole longer than the left. You will be taking your hits on the right and this gives you a bit more anchor.

This is a shot of Rod and I back in 04. Neither of us came off, but you really need to work your core muscles hard as getting bent over backward (and off to the right) is pretty much an every pass occurrence.

Vision is going to be a great problem for most. I am pretty sure that the max occularum size will be 1/4". That protects your eyes from most splinters, but not all. Your ability to ride and accurately target with such a small slot for vision will be detrimental to those who haven't done it before.

Targeting - I assume that they will be using either Realgestech-style or a version of it.

See the grande gard bolted onto the left upper chest, that is your target area. It isn't large and practicing on some type of quintain is pretty much mandatory.

Lance control - It is pretty much an unspoken law in jousting that if you hit a horse, you are through. When they did that US v. UK joust documentary a few years ago, quite a number of horses were hit. LANCE CONTROL is key. You don't sweep the lance from left to right (okay, I know of one jouster who cheats this way) in order to knock the other guy's lance off line. You bring it DOWN, in graceful arc to target in on your opponent. This is not only safer for your opponent, but for his horse as well. ALSO - don't bring it down too early, I have had to retrain many joust horses who were continually hit on the head by their own rider and got to the point that they wouldn't joust.

Get used to riding without reigns. Most of us in the US drop the reigns to prevent the horse from taking a pull on the mouth everytime you take a hit. You will most likely be using closed lists (where the sides and ends are enclosed with ropes) and horses that are used to this type of jousting. Most of them will slow down and stop on their own right after they hear the hit take place. If not, its is pretty easy to just reach down and grab the reigns.

Okay, I'll give it a bit more thought. I know that there are lots of things that I beat into the heads of my students, but these are the main points. Good Lance Control - Good Horsemanship - Good Riding Skills - and Good Sportsmanship wins jousts.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd, thank you very much for a very thorough and informative post, sir! Also a big thanks for posting pics. If there is anything else you want to share I, for one, am definitely all ears, fascinating subject Cool
Thank you again.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like how a lot of the demos have pretty big guys who then promptly talk about how they love their kids Laughing Out Loud
Anyone else thinking of signing up or has casting closed?

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The application deadline has been extended three days to the 23rd of July (one week away).
I can't recall when last I was so possessed with desire to attain something.
The anticipation is killing me!
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
I like how a lot of the demos have pretty big guys who then promptly talk about how they love their kids Laughing Out Loud
Anyone else thinking of signing up or has casting closed?

I'm 5'10 and weigh 175 and all I talked about was my experiences as a rider in the back country on green horses and my keen interest in training and competing Happy I love children but I am at a loss to see what that has to do with a tournament WTF?! Maybe I should've been more soft and fluffy Laughing Out Loud

Eric, I'm right there with you buddy...waitin' and hopin'.
Jen Miilu

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: jousting         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

My Man just entered this tournement, they seem very keen to have him.
He is a shoe in... I know where i'm putting my money.

Most Participants seem to have no jousting experience! its so freaking dangerous and painful...I have no idea why people want to do this.

Love the explanation and the pics.

J
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, it's funny how most of them don't even seem to go to a club, let alone own their own horse.
Oh, and Jen, make him a favour or something so he fights harder Big Grin

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Jen Miilu

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Good news         Reply with quote

So my Boyfriend made it to the semi finals!

How very exciting!

I'm curious how authentic it will really be...

J
Job Overbeek

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, does anybody know how exactly is it's organized with armour etc?
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's about time that jousting got pulled into the main stream and got some recognition.

will it be historic - I hope so. I think it will reach out to a bigger audiance on tv, and spark some serious intrest into people that believe in all the old myths of knights in armour.

And then maybe my neighbors won't look at me like i'm nuts when i'm trying to polish a dagger or two or get that strange look when they ask "you collete what? and they cost how much?!"
Jen Miilu

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Hello All!         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!! great news!

Its the real deal. great people and serious competition!

J

Last edited by Jen Miilu on Wed 05 Oct, 2011 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello All!         Reply with quote

Jen Miilu wrote:

Armour isn't 13th century though!

I can't imagine it could have been. I think anything short of late 15th century armor would not satisfy modern safety concerns.

Thanks for keeping us posted Jen!

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
William P

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hello All!         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Jen Miilu wrote:

Armour isn't 13th century though!

I can't imagine it could have been. I think anything short of late 15th century armor would not satisfy modern safety concerns.

Thanks for keeping us posted Jen!

just 15th century?

you kidding even THEN they increased the safety of the armour through garnitures and the frog mouthed helms bolted to the chestplate.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Full Metal Jousting... What?
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: