Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman Phrygian Helmet Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me say that this is possibly one of my favorite project threads thus far. Getting to see such detailed in-progress pics has been a joy and the final product is looking absolutely stunning! I'm very jealous right now. Confused

Congrats on such a gorgeous project!

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Second batch of pictures         Reply with quote

Here is the second set of pictures Greg and Graciana sent me. They show the progress on the nasal and trim ring. One of them shows the hand marking Greg did before the engraving began. This really is a one-off job, as you can see. I am so impressed by the intricacy of the engraving. The cross is also heavily engraved as well which I didn't really expect. What I like the most is that even though it is for all intents and purposes a Norman helm of the Middle Ages, the engraving (to me at least) still has a whiff of that past Dark Ages period of intertwining beasts and such although in a more updated look. Anyone else get that sense?

Attachment: 104.77 KB
-7.jpg

Attachment: 127.06 KB
-8.jpg

Attachment: 118.52 KB
-9.jpg

Attachment: 68.97 KB
-10.jpg

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm loving this project - i enjoy seeing things made in ye olde fashioned way. i like anything that helps show preserving craftsmanship. and that nasal pice, all that chisel work to have that raised effect. Eek!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Gilleland wrote:
Let me say that this is possibly one of my favorite project threads thus far. Getting to see such detailed in-progress pics has been a joy and the final product is looking absolutely stunning! I'm very jealous right now. Confused

Congrats on such a gorgeous project!

Thank you Nathan. I salute your chivalry.
You've done a fine job with your Teutonic Knight kit as well. I always thought they were pretty cool, if a little on the creepy side. Ever see that old movie "Alexander Nevsky?" Then you know what I mean. Laughing Out Loud

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Shock and awe         Reply with quote

Here are three more pictures Greg and Graciana sent me. Now it's REALLY getting to be fun when the pictures show up. It looks like the engraving and darkening of the nasal/trim ring is finished. The work leaves me breathless.

Attachment: 132.31 KB
100_8950a.JPG

Attachment: 119.2 KB
100_8958a.JPG

Attachment: 145.04 KB
100_8961a.jpg

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

I've been a fan of Greg's work since I first saw it a couple years back, and have talked to his lovely wife Graciana a couple times via email to get an idea of what his work is quoted at in case I ever want to make a commission. I'm very glad to see this project come to fruition for you. The Crusades constitute an amazingly cultural and intriguingly unique period of history for Western European peoples, and I'm very fond of the passion all of those who reenact the period put into your impressions. I myself deal with similar periods in my studies (I get my BA in Medieval Studies in spring) but am more continental in my focus - detail reflected in my reenactment.

That said, I'm very glad you've let Greg take the helm regarding the engraving work on this project. It's always best to leave an artist to his whims when it comes to such fine and time-consuming work. As you have already understood, I'm sure, the product will benefit from this choice greatly. Also, I think that from a historical perspective, you and Greg have done an excellent job of producing what will be a slightly anachronistic but plausibly historical design of a mainstay helmet design (the phrygian) of the 12th century. I'm looking forward to the final product, immensely. Cheers!

-Gregory
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Hey Jeff,

I've been a fan of Greg's work since I first saw it a couple years back, and have talked to his lovely wife Graciana a couple times via email to get an idea of what his work is quoted at in case I ever want to make a commission. I'm very glad to see this project come to fruition for you. The Crusades constitute an amazingly cultural and intriguingly unique period of history for Western European peoples, and I'm very fond of the passion all of those who reenact the period put into your impressions. I myself deal with similar periods in my studies (I get my BA in Medieval Studies in spring) but am more continental in my focus - detail reflected in my reenactment.

That said, I'm very glad you've let Greg take the helm regarding the engraving work on this project. It's always best to leave an artist to his whims when it comes to such fine and time-consuming work. As you have already understood, I'm sure, the product will benefit from this choice greatly. Also, I think that from a historical perspective, you and Greg have done an excellent job of producing what will be a slightly anachronistic but plausibly historical design of a mainstay helmet design (the phrygian) of the 12th century. I'm looking forward to the final product, immensely. Cheers!

-Gregory

Thank you for your generous comments. I do agree that to shackle a craftsman like Greg would be like hooking up a racing stallion to a plow. I was well aware he was the expert, and let him alter any suggestions I had to his own interpretation. I personally like the Dark Ages intertwining beasties thing and mentioned that to Greg. He said that would be too early for this helm and suggested a floral design of some sort to which I readily agreed. But as I posted earlier, I do detect a whiff of the old Dark Ages look in the engraving just a bit. Enough to make it even more appealing to me personally. He also suggested the Phrygian style helm. I was neither hot nor cold to the idea, but Graciana told me Greg wanted to do one really, really badly. So I laughed and said "Sure." Who wants a disgruntled craftsman working on your project? I keep an open mind and they were always asking if I liked this or that before they proceeded to the next step. They have been very pleasant and helpful throughout. I did ask them to regularly send some pictures that I could post to share with everyone since I find this whole process a wonder to behold. Many agree with me I think.
As for historical accuracy, while that's always nice, I do try to strike a balance too.I am not, as some would say, a "Detail Nazi." I would be just as happy if someone said this helm would fit right into HBO's series "Game of Thrones." A few women said I reminded them of the Blackfish anyway. Wink And who can really say what did or did not exist in a given age. That would be like someone a thousand years from now finding a Volkswagen Beetle in a cave somewhere and assuming that EVERYONE drove a Volkswagen Beetle because that was all that was found. An unconvincing argument, at least to me. I did tell Greg that I wanted a Norman-style helm that looked like something a nobleman would wear, and would go well with my kit. Those were about the only parameters I set, and let him pretty much do his thing, with a little input back and forth as things went along. Where there was some uncertainty. I let them make the call. They are the experts, not me, and I'll be the first to admit it. It's worked pretty well that way, as you said.

David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Norman helm         Reply with quote

Jeff

Congratulations on commissioning a Thorkil helm, great Normano-Romanesque decorative engraving .

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have looked at Thorkil's work on a regular basis on european forum's (where he seems to be more famous than on the other side of the atlantic) and his work never fails to amaze me.

What a splendid carving work.

Cheers,

J
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Finished helm (well, almost)         Reply with quote

Here are four pictures Greg and Graciana sent me of the finished helm. They said it still needs the aventail finished up and added as well as the liner. I guess that's leather going around the edges on the bottom to attach the aventail to? I wondered how that would be managed. But the helm itself is done. What a beauty, huh? A very graceful shape I think. And the aventail will be pretty in and of itself once it goes on.At any rate, these pictures made my weekend for sure. Hope everyone finds it as handsome as I do.

Attachment: 69.62 KB
-1.jpg

Attachment: 70.56 KB
-2.jpg

Attachment: 70.83 KB
-3.jpg

Attachment: 69.42 KB
-4.jpg

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've honestly never been a fan of that style of helm until right now. That is absolutely amazing. I was going to use the words "stunning" and "beautiful" as well. Words just don't do it justice.

Congrats Jeff and Greg, for together making it happen!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boy, it's feast or famine it seems. Greg and Graciana just sent me these pictures of the aventail under construction. I tried to put them in the correct order, but pardon me if I made a mistake. This is about half of them, the rest will follow. As you can see, the bottom edge will be dagged. That was a decision I left up to them, a straight edge or a dagged one. I believe there will be some brass trim along the bottom too but that isn't shown here.

Attachment: 82.97 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 130.09 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 100.55 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 95.58 KB
4.jpg

Attachment: 148.51 KB
5.jpg

Attachment: 108.84 KB
6.jpg

Attachment: 83.64 KB
7.jpg

Attachment: 69.93 KB
8.jpg

Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here are the rest...the guy doing this is a friend of Greg's-his name is Paul. That's all I know about him now but he apparently makes period hauberks, etc. I may do some business with him too down the road a ways. If you look closely you will see that the links are alternating rows of riveted and solid rings, Just like back in the day. Big Grin

Attachment: 117.04 KB
9.jpg

Attachment: 123.75 KB
10.jpg

Attachment: 211.59 KB
11.jpg

Attachment: 122.89 KB
12.jpg

Attachment: 136.01 KB
13.jpg

Encho Yakovchev

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's truly a work of art! The attention to detail is really amazing.
Jeff, do you know how the solid rings and rivets were made?

Can't wait for your next post and pictures!
Job Overbeek

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Baffles me every time how somebody can do that horribly timeconsuming job of making rings.
And then drilling a whole in every single one Eek!
That said, it looks incredible, can't wait for the endresult.
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really, really love that helmet.

Makes me go a bit green with envy, knowing that I could never justify doing my re-enactment wearing such a work of art, kowing it's going to get battered and dented.. So I have to stick with the mass-produced stuff.

And the mail.. having made my own rings for a full hauberk back in the day when we didn't have professional manufacturers - I know all too well how laborious it is - even though I only butted it.
Looks kind of painful on the fingers. I remember when winding the rings, having to wear thick welders gloves due to the pressure/rub of the wire on the thumb - and that was with a hand-cranked winder.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Encho Yakovchev wrote:
It's truly a work of art! The attention to detail is really amazing.
Jeff, do you know how the solid rings and rivets were made?

Can't wait for your next post and pictures!

No, I'm sorry, I'm not that familiar with it, but Graciana told me that the solid rings are punched from steel plate and the riveted rings are made from wire. Does that help any?

Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I almost forgot- the man doing the aventail is Pawel Dubiel. Pawel=Paul. I should see that he gets credit for his part in this project as well. Thank you, Pawel. Beautiful work. Wink
Encho Yakovchev

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff. Beautiful work, indeed. And great craftsmanship from Pawel Happy
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Aventail Assembly         Reply with quote

Here is another batch of pictures Greg and Graciana sent me. These show Pawel working on the aventail and doing the rivet work. Interesting jig or platform he's using. Looks like tedious and laborious work to me, but maybe not to Pawel. From what I hear, he can make a hauberk tailored like an Italian suit. I'll have to look into that after I recover from this bill.

Attachment: 87.12 KB
-1.jpg

Attachment: 83.19 KB
-2.jpg

Attachment: 78.69 KB
-3.jpg

Attachment: 85.93 KB
-4.jpg

Attachment: 102.96 KB
-5.jpg

Attachment: 91.21 KB
-6.jpg

Attachment: 122.22 KB
-7.jpg

Attachment: 109.91 KB
-8.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman Phrygian Helmet Project
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: