Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Antique Axe: Tool or Weapon? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Gene W

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,
What is the situation at present? Have you returned the axe?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fellow myArmoury members,

I have been doing some more research on my own, trying to better ascertain exactly what kind of axe I own. Although the middle axe from Jeff Pringle's scanned page is close, there are still differences, and I am not certain the two axes are the same. If anyone has photos of other axes which are very close in appearance to mine, and information about the type of axe and where it's from that they could post, I would really appreciate it.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig, I have the same book that Jeff posted from.
It shows main form of axe types, but there are going to be a lot of variation within the types, just as is the case with swords. Different places of production, different smiths, would have their own little version on how the type was best formed.

The axes Jeff posted are probably the closest you are going to find published. Unless yo find an online site dedicated to this very kind of axe.

It is without doubt a tool axe.

What gives it away is the asymmetrical head, with one side flat. It is even more certain because of the reinforcing spine that sits on the other side. You will not find this kind of construction of weapon axes. It is typical for tool axes, however.
It is also true that tool axes can retain some ancient features, making them look much older than they are.

You axe looks medieval at first glance, with its wicked looking bearded form and angled edge.

As soon as you see the asymmetrical shape and reinforcing ridge, it gives its true nature away.

You may be lucky in finding a exact axe head with known date and origin. You may have to look far and wide to locate it, however.
Best bet is to try to learn where tool axes were imported from in Scotland during the 17th/18th C (or was it even later?). What types of axes were used in Scotland at this time? Were there immigrant workers employed in Scotland for any kind of construction work at this time period?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Peter! Your advice and your assistance is, as always, of great value!
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Just as a matter of interest Craig, I notice that Lanes Armoury still have an axe head listed for sale which is provenance to Falkirk (easy to find on the site if you search keyword Falkirk). Is this the one you bought back in 2011?

I'd be interested to get some insight on this, as I am considering a purchase from Lanes Armoury and want to get an idea for whether or not they're trustworthy.

Thanks

Collector of original 16th-17th century European arms and armour. Would like to collect earlier, but budget doesn't allow- yet!
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Wolfe wrote:
I am considering a purchase from Lanes Armoury and want to get an idea for whether or not they're trustworthy.

Thanks
Tom, if you are considering the purchase of the hauberk that Lanes has for sale then I would have to say "no they are not trustworthy" as far as their knowledge of riveted mail goes. They would need to provide much better and larger images of the links, both inside and outside faces.

Last edited by Eric S on Sun 16 Aug, 2015 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric Feder

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Wolfe wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Just as a matter of interest Craig, I notice that Lanes Armoury still have an axe head listed for sale which is provenance to Falkirk (easy to find on the site if you search keyword Falkirk). Is this the one you bought back in 2011?

I'd be interested to get some insight on this, as I am considering a purchase from Lanes Armoury and want to get an idea for whether or not they're trustworthy.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I purchased a schiavona from Lanes Armoury back in February 2012. I asked several questions about the condition prior to purchase, including whether there were any repairs, and they answered truthfully and in detail. However, after buying a second schiavona later at auction and comparing the two I realized that my Lanes Armoury schiavona's portion of the basket overlapping the blade was missing/broken off. I never raised the issue with Lanes due to 1) the fact that I still love the sword, broken or not; and 2) it's quite possible that they overlooked the missing part; I certainly did myself, initially. I will give them the benefit of the doubt here, in light of the effort they put in to answering my questions prior to purchase.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Antique Axe: Tool or Weapon?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: