Go to page Previous  1, 2

ART DECO!! Great, an art deco Viking sword.! Jean, you know, you're right, it does look art deco and part of that come from the carving on the grip but the whole thing holds together so seamlessly that the stylistic resemblance didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it. Good eye!

My French isn't very good but isn't it something like, "Plus que change plus que meme chose."?
Ken Speed wrote:
ART DECO!! Great, an art deco Viking sword.! Jean, you know, you're right, it does look art deco and part of that come from the carving on the grip but the whole thing holds together so seamlessly that the stylistic resemblance didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it. Good eye!

My French isn't very good but isn't it something like, "Plus que change plus que meme chose."?

" Plus que ça change plus que c'est pareil " The more things change the more they are the same.

Basically your French version is close but uses synonyms but expresses the same thought.

The sword sort of reminds me in " spirit " of the Chrysler building:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Building

For some reason the sword made me think of the Eagles on the Chrysler building just in the ways the volumes of the guard and pommel flow and bulge but obviously not in a direct one to one fashion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chrysler_building_eagle.jpg
I never really thought about it until you mentioned it Jean, but it is kinda Art Deco. The stylized lines are what do it, in my opinion. Funny to see how good design is timeless. I knida think it could be something from Ikea too. The smooth lines and simple colors remind me of some of their furniture. Maybe it's a Scandinavian thing...
Thank you very much for all the thoughts and comments :)

In my research I found that the original was indeed hollow, and while working on getting the balance and feel right I found out just how hollow everything needed to be. With this volume of fittings if they were made solid you would probably be looking at another pound or so, and the original is very light, perhaps even lighter then this one.

Tim and I were calling this a type "weird" since the pommel is a pretty unique feature, and has elements that aren't as commonly seen in many viking swords.
Fantastic looking sword Michael! :cool:
Holy cow! That's the most stunning piece I've seen from you MIchael.

That pommel is simply magnificent.

Very well done indeed.

J
Weird indeed... as for myself, I'm reminded a bit of H. R. Giger :p Still fantastic. Viking swords don't normally do much for me but I like this one a lot.
As always Micheal thats a very beautiful piece.
Of Course !
He's done it again.........................Beautiful !
I wanted to update this thread with some photos of the scabbard Michael made for this piece. It is really something special. I sent him the belt buckle, strap end, and strap dividers but he made the chape! Its just gorgeous. michael continues his run of excellent work!

Attachment: 70.04 KB
IMAG0085.jpg

Attachment: 50.58 KB
IMAG0086.jpg

Tim, every time I see you post something from your collection, I want it. :lol:
You've got a lot of great pieces from a lot of great craftsmen, and this is no exception. Beautiful sword.
Wonderful quality work from Michael, as usual, not surprised but certainly impressed. :D :cool:
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: