Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Having seen the hilt waxes as well as Peter's scale drawing of this sword, I can definetly confirm that this will be one massive single-handed sword. I don't know if I'll be buying one but I'm very eager to handle a finished example. I find this sword to be an interesting study in design, much like the Tritonia. The aspects of proportion, scale, mass distribution, and etc. all need to work in harmony, so that a functional weapon is the result instead of a boat anchor.

Nowadays the different aspects of design and construction are what I find fascinating. The "gee wiz!" factors of ornamentation and elaboration really don't interest me. The "what, why, and how" factors are what I'm really into, and this sword should be a good study in those points.
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hi all,

What you can´t clearly see in the photo is that the grip is linen fabric wound many times around the wooden grip core around the tang. The swelling of the grip towards the pommel is mostly just a lifting of the material. .

Peter
Thanks for the information.
Geoff
Concerning the mysterious grip wrap: considering that the sword is an old relic, probably handled every year for a few centuries, the original grip wrap became ratty. Some priest used some parchment as a cover, and unwittlingly caused future befuddlement!
Are the inscription on the blade inlaid or etched/engraved? In a color photo I have of the sword, I cannot quite make it out.
How is albion going to reproduce these inscriptions?

I think this was discussed on another thread as some point of time but I could not find it. Sorry for going over discussed material again.

Alexi
Probably acid-etched like the "A" mark on the current blades.

Brian M
Brian M wrote:
Probably acid-etched like the "A" mark on the current blades.

Brian M

Nope, they are actually going to be deeply engraved, like the runes on our Conan swords.

Best,

Howy
Howy,

Any updates to be had on the SoSM progress?

Regards,
Brian M
Brian M wrote:
Howy,

Any updates to be had on the SoSM progress?

Regards,
Brian M

Hey Brian!

The blade is programmed, the hilt components are carved -- the hilt components are waiting to be molded and cast. We are probably still about 2 months away minimum from having the first sword assembled.

Sorry,

Howy
Quote:
Nope, they are actually going to be deeply engraved, like the runes on our Conan swords.

Howy, if someone wanted to have engraving done on an Albion blade that they already have (say a Duke for the sake of discussion), could it be arranged through Albion? If so, any idea on the costs per letter?

Looking forward to Lanzefest 2005! Lisa and Amy talked yesterday - are you sure you want our Wolly Mammoths in your backyard? :D
I'm guessing the engraving on the St. Maurice of Turin sword will be done with the CNC during blade creation and pre- heat-treatment. That's how I'd do it in a production environment :)
Thanks for the update Howy. Sounds like late summer is a safe bet allowing for a little slippage. I should have mine paid off by then! :) Oops, forgot I'll be ordering a scabbard as well. Looking at the original, it seems the "campaign brown" would be a pretty good match.

Brian M
Anyone seen this yet? This should set you guys a-twitter...

:)

http://albion-swords.com/swords/johnsson/swor...aurice.htm
Chad Arnow wrote:
Anyone seen this yet? This should set you guys a-twitter...

:)

http://albion-swords.com/swords/johnsson/swor...aurice.htm

Finally!!
Lloyd Clark wrote:
Quote:

Howy, if someone wanted to have engraving done on an Albion blade that they already have (say a Duke for the sake of discussion), could it be arranged through Albion? If so, any idea on the costs per letter?

Looking forward to Lanzefest 2005! Lisa and Amy talked yesterday - are you sure you want our Wolly Mammoths in your backyard? :D

Hey Lloyd!

That is something we have slated for discussion when Peter is here in March. We do a lot of engraving on Film Swords and Jody pieces, and our first try at the Albion Mark swords is the SOSM. With the proper software, we could do any Medieval/Renaissance typeface deeply into a blade and we are looking at that closely. I'll keep you guys posted. For obvious reasons, it would be far more practical in a pre-heat-treated blade...

Best,

Howy
Nice that it's up. Scabbard is going to be pricey, though.

Brian M
Any word on the grip treatment? Will it be a brown leather/fabric like the original or a black like the remainder of the Museum line? Since the SOSMT is the only sword to be duplicated in the Museum line that has its "original-ish" grip, the choice seems obvious to me... ;)
Steve Maly wrote:
Any word on the grip treatment? Will it be a brown leather/fabric like the original or a black like the remainder of the Museum line? Since the SOSMT is the only sword to be duplicated in the Museum line that has its "original-ish" grip, the choice seems obvious to me... ;)

We will be discussing that next week, based oj Peter's observations of the original. We have several ideas on how to recreate the look of the original when new.

Btw -- this is a Hallmark" sword, like the Svante, so it gets special treatment... (the Svante grip isn't black, is it?)

Best,

Howy
Howard Waddell wrote:

We will be discussing that next week, based on Peter's observations of the original. We have several ideas on how to recreate the look of the original when new.

Btw -- this is a Hallmark" sword, like the Svante, so it gets special treatment... (the Svante grip isn't black, is it?)

Best,

Howy

D'oh! I stand corrected!
Howard Waddell wrote:

Howy,

Is the "Hallmark" distinction new? Or has it always been there, and I am just blind. My wife says I'm blind all the time, so don't worry about offending me. And is the "special treatment" explained anywhere on your website? (again, blind, etc, etc.)
also what about hilt blueing and blackening? where is that explained on the site?
I don't see it as options anymore...(?)
I bet the svate would look good black and oxblood... :cool:

Last edited by Alex Oster on Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 3 of 5

Jump to: