Go to page Previous  1, 2

D. Phillip Caron wrote:
I am confused now. My Godfred is a folded metal blade. The patten is brought out by a process?

The entire blade is folded steel. The fuller is further revealed through etching with acid. The shiny one shown in my first reply was a blade further polished and etched with acid overall, revealing the pattern all of the Godfred blades can show.

The acid used to reveal/enhance the patterns is often a diluted ferric chloride.

Even without etching with acids, a fine polish will show the welds in the steel(s), such as with the fine antique Japanese katana. Without the etching, the patterns are often hard to see at all.

For some more pattern welded tutorials and information, www.vikingsword.com has a good section on viking swords and how the patterns were done, as well as the thread linked above.

Cheers

GC
I have it now. I thank you sir.
i have learned more about my own sword while the person who asked the original question is off after an entirely different sword. Life is good when we let be.
beautiful pics Glen, thanks :)
Hanwei Godfred Viking Sword
I just received my sword today and I'm really pleased with the overall appearance, fit and finish. It has a very nice balance and is very nimble considering the long blade and very short handle. I have no intention of ever actually using the sword short of the Zombie Apocalypse occuring, so I won't be able to provide any reviews on its usability. But if you're looking for an attractive sword and scabbard package that appears to be of better than average quality for the price I would recommend this sword. Found mine at Kult of Athena for $439 plus shipping and found it on other sites from around $550-$765.
i would have suggested that if you waned a very inexpensive viking sword, l0ok no further than their tinker line, they are pretty inexpensive and look fairly good (although you can bet that there will be some issues of historical accuracy when comparing with more accurate replicas.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: