Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can someone help me identify this person? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul E.G

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Can someone help me identify this person?         Reply with quote

Hey, I know that this is a weapons and historic arms and armor forum however I was wondering if anyone could help me identify someone in this portrait (since many of the people on this site seem to know a great deal about historic figures during ). The painting looks like it could've been done anywhere from the 1600's to the 1800's. I also have the signature of what appears to be the artist. If anyone can give me information or forums I can post this on I'd really appreciate it. : )

[/img]

Attachment: 100.3 KB
0419121900.jpg

Attachment: 54.48 KB
0419121901.jpg
artist signature
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry, don`t know the person nor the artist.
i could only try to narrow the period down, imho plausible between ~ 1670 - 1750
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the picture I see a heavy chain sort of "thing" hanging on his chest. My brain tells me that those were symbols of royal office for something. If this is so, then it could be a useful tidbit of a clue.
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can you show a close-up of the badge on his left shoulder?

Another random thought--I wonder about the significance of the ostrich (?) feathers. Three ostrich feathers are the symbol of the Prince of Wales, although I do not think that is the case for this painting.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It bears some resemblance to the portraits I have seen of William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and commander of the British Army at Culloden, but that's straight off the top of my head and could be just coincidence. The colors worn do seem to fit with his popular status in England after the campaign, though.
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This "quest" has captured me.
Questions.
Where did you get the picture which you posted?
Do you know where the painting is/was?

If it is something local to you, then check pictures of colonial governors for NJ and surrounding colonies in the 1700's.

This is not unsolvable. I do, however, believe that he is not ugly enough to be George III.

The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Paul E.G

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins: Sure thing I'll do that when I get a chance. I'm guessing I'm thinking the same thing you are that if I can get the crest on the cloak, it could narrow things down. I'll try to get a close up, maybe it'll help. About the ostrich feathers:
I know and I thought the same thing, that's why I thought he might be Welsh/British.

D. Phillip Caron: Don't know if it's local though it could be. Thanks. I'll check with local historians and museums for pictures of colonial governors from 1700's and NJ.

Justin King: I thought he might be a duke too. I tried looking through english portraiture by era and by the artist but no luck. Unless I'm reading the signature wrong. I thought maybe if I can get the artist's signature/full name (or if anyone else can) maybe that can help figure this out too.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I'll get more pictures uploaded to this post. Big Grin
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The gentleman in the portrait is wearing the robes of a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath. The give away is the red ribbon over the shoulder and the chain. I doubt this is a member of the royal family since this is the Bath not the Garter whose ribbon is blue. The Bath is an order for military officers of distinction so my guess is that this is a high ranking general. The court dress of the Order is not indicative of the time period as this archaic dress was standard throughout the 18th century. Based on the hair style, I'd date the potrait to between !725 and 1750. For reference, see the portraits of George II and George III in their Garter robes which are very similar.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Paul E.G

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne: Thank you so much! Big Grin I just looked up the Knights Companion of the Order of the Bath on Wikipedia (I know bad source) to compare what some of the similar portraits look like from men of the order during roughly that same time period of 1725 to past 1750. Many of them are wearing the same red sash and some have the same hairstyle as the as-of-yet nameless person in the portrait I've posted. I believe you, though is there any other way to be sure? I'll try to get pictures of the badge/crest on his cloak. Thank you so much and again thank you everyone! Next post I'll have more pictures.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can someone help me identify this person?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic